Chuck Berry with his daughter Ingrid:

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

This song reminds me of when i lived in Peterborough......and the only night club was ''Annabells'' (sp)

Met John Barnwell (ex forest player..managing Peterborough) in there......said ''he was looking for players'' had i seen any? lol........

It was the night before a big match and i had seen 3 of em...........didnt 'Grass'' though...:)

• Like 1

I remember John Barnwell dating Louis Levin's secretary, Eileen, back in the 60's. They subsequently married. Louis, of the lacemaking family, was a lifelong fan of Notts County and became a director. He was an orthodox Jew and wasn't allowed to use transport on the sabbath so he walked from his home on Adam's Hill to the County ground for home matches on a Saturday. I don't know how he got to away fixtures!

Don't make em like Billy anymore..........

He dont want clever conversation......he wants you just the way you are.......

So don't go changing.......

• Like 2

My favourite Billy Joel tune.. A sort of 'mega Doo-Wop'

• Like 2

I think we need to get back to basics:

• Like 1

I love that song!  Every so often on fb I get the video of a Scottish grandma reading the Wonky Donkey book to a toddler.  I’ve seen it several times but it’s funny every time because she (grandma)  gets increasingly giggly as she reads each page.  Sometimes she is almost helpless with laughing.  Laughter is very contagious….

• Like 1

I did a modern tap dance (with 2 others)to the above song in the old theatre on George Street  when I was about 14.  We had a pianist, though, not Frankie’s strange voice.

@MargieH

I've danced on that stage many times. I wasn't keen on tap dancing but remember taking part in a 42nd Street routine there. Also Thoroughly Modern Millie, song and dance. That's where my shoe came off during the Charleston and flew into the second row!  Our dance teacher was very strict and always told us that even if your head fell off on stage, you take no notice and carry on!

• Like 1

Green Door was originally recorded in the US by Jim Lowe, and his version charted in the UK too.

Similarly, Frankie Vaughan's 'Garden of Eden', was inspired by the USA original by Joe Valino

I don't want to take anything away from Frankie Vaughan, because by all accounts he was a decent bloke.

I remember  him opening the rebuilt Boowul Youth Club....  swept by the Bogs in a Land Rover as I recall.. I saw him.

Here's another great ballad from the same period...

This song..and all the others from that period.. always remind me of so much other stuff. Mostly the two fields opposite the street where I was raised.  The way those tunes floated on the air from every house, on a Sunday, as the joint roasted, the veg cooked, and we all listened to 'Two Way Family Favourites'. That was an odd programme which would feature pop songs alongside the 1812 Overture.. and another of my faves at the time:

And of course this was the height of the Skiffle craze too:

Lost World..

Nice bit of triple tonguing there Col... 

Nancy Whiskey not heard of for years, her version of Freight Train was my dads all time fave...

I have a very nice copy of that on original Oriole 78. Nancy passed away in 2003, and of course, took her name from the folk song.. being by birth.. Anne Alexandra Young Wilson.  Here you go..

Me.. I'm 'digging on' the baseball boots and shoulder high waist bands...

Triple tongueing.. as Eric Morecambe would say.. 'They can't touch you for it..'

Been 'discussing' Donovan. in 'another place'.  There seem to be two camps.. those who think Donovan was just a lightweight 'folk' singer.. and those who see him as some sort of UK answer to Dylan. No way he was in the same league as Dylan.. but he had something.. This gets complicated because now.. Donovan seems to be promoting himself as the originator of Flower Power, a major influence on the Beatles.. etc.. That side of him I find rather sad..but he did write some beautiful songs.

Which was good enough for Joan Baez:

The Dylan v Donovan argument was quite intense at the time yet I never heard a definitive answer of why one was considered better than the other.

Dylan was more enigmatic in the choice of words, syntax, and his music quite raucous in his early days. Donovan somewhat  gentle, simplistic, more direct, and less ambiguous although nowhere near as prolific.

There was a short time when Barry McGuire and Eve of Destruction was hailed as a future protest singer in the same deep and meaningful mould. That also had people who praised and some who sneered.

By what criteria do we judge which league they are  in?

It's interesting Jim.

The whole Donovan v Dylan thing though.. was a largely manufactured notion, with the UK industry/press, pushing the idea of Donovan as 'Britain's answer to Dylan' which of course he just wasn't, and probably didn't want to be. Echoes of the earlier 'Cliff or Elvis?' and even 'Beatles v Stones' and later 'Oasis v Blur.'

Dylan was of course heavily influenced by the original 'protest' singer Woody Guthrie..and he showed that in songs such as 'Masters of War', 'A Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall' and the very witty 'Talkin' World War Three Blues'.  Whereas Donovan , as you say, seemed to be more introspective and personal/romantic in his own songs.  His 'protest' songs were mostly covers, such as Universal Soldier (Buffy Saint Marie?) The War Drags On (C.J.Johnson), Do You Hear Me Now? (Bert Jansch)..though Donovan did a version of Woody's 'Car Car'.

Barry McGuire was interesting.  If I'm not mistaken he originally appeared as part of the New Christy Minstrels, along with several others who would go on to fame and fortune in their own right later.

Barry's 'Eve of Destruction', was actually written by the mysterious P.F Sloan, who had a couple of minor solo hits... ( 'Sins of the Fathers') but mostly just wrote stuff...including 'California Dreamin'..a huge hit for the Mamas and Papas. 

Sloan also provoked a song called 'PF.Sloan', written by Jimmy Webb and recorded by many, including Jennifer Warnes, Rumer and two versions which I have, by Cassell Webb, and this one..by Unicorn.

I hope you are keeping up..  I'll be asking questions..

And finally.... though a different group of musicians.. I always lump this in with that whole 'vibe'..

• Like 1

According to my reference books.. just the one hit here..and a follow up..'Tom Cat' in the US...though they had several albums.   They had disbanded by 1967.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rooftop_Singers

• Like 1