I adored them!  Despite performing as a sort of comedy group....sending up the 1920s/early 30s UK jazz scene..they were all very good musicians.  The lead singer 'Whispering' Paul Mc Dowell..continued in acting and other artistic pursuits until he died in 2016.

I loved the way that McDowell would stand aside, often leaning casually on a jardiniere or somesuch and smoking a cigar..until it was his turn to sing.. then I'd be worried that he wouldn't get to the mic in time.. :biggrin:  He always did.

And of course there were 9 of them.

When interviewed as to why they were called "The Tempererance Seven" Captain Sephus Howard, or some other member, said" there are nine of us which means we are one over the eight". ..an expression meaning 'drunk'..hence the link to Temperance.

Member 'John R T Davies' was also a noted sound engineer and restorer of early recordings. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._T._Davies

• Like 4
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Just discovered this, a recording from the 'National Jukebox' of the US Library of Congress:

https://www.loc.gov/item/playlist?tracks=jukebox-673171

It's from 1924, which pre-dates 'electrical' recording (i.e., using microphones), by about 2 years.  So this will have been recorded directly to a wax disc by the players' noise being funelled through horns to the cutting stylus.

I love this stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd heard most things since buying music in the 60s but how have I missed this "belter" from 1969 ?

Heard a snippet from it on the Grand Tour when Clarkson and co were doing a road trip .

Managed to track it down by googling some of the lyrics and it's by Bob Seger . Ramblin Gamblin Man.

Love this song........and love brown eyed girls......

Do you remember when...we used to sing....

Sha La La La la La La La La dee dah......lying in the green grass on Vernon Park...........:rolleyes:

Lovely song.........nice video......Happy people........

All in Tesco car park Bulwell..........

• Like 1

Thought Freddie had a great voice......also so very funny.......not to everyone's taste....but certainly to mine....

Chap i went to school with was his personal driver for a time........said he was ''a complete arshole'' even that made me laugh.....the chap from school was a right misery anyway,,,,,

Poor old Freddie had a sad end to his life........RIP Freddie....

It would've been interesting to see how Freddie Starr ended up if he'd stayed as a singer, without branching out into comedy etc.

I agree he had a really good voice....and I liked him as a comedian as well, notwithstanding the stories about him as a person.

I was pondering today on the accusation that Leonard Cohen's songs were 'music to slit your wrists by'.  Of course they weren't...and I'm one of those people who generally feels better after listening to a sad song.   That is what the blues are all about...

But anyway.. I was suddenly reminded of some very sad songs by the Ink Spots which I had on 78 way back..

No sell by date on great music.  :)

• Like 1

To slit your wrists by is a bit harsh... now if you're contemplating jumping off a bridge...;)

Is it just me that thinks the words to Hallelujah are complete nonsense?

And how on earth does a sad song make you feel better?

I think the meaning of the Hallelujah song is that even when we mess up (as we all do sometimes!) God can bring good out of it in some way and is able to set us back on the right path.  
Hallelujah means ‘Praise God’ so I think it means to praise God in all situations.

A bit of a simplification I know, when many in the world are suffering…. 

Sadly, I don’t have an answer for that except to say that human nature - which is naturally selfish - can sometimes be very cruel and unfeeling towards others 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Brew said:

And how on earth does a sad song make you feel better?

I'm not sure.. but Blues musicians recognise the effect..as did Neil Diamond in his 'Song Sung Blue'.

I suppose that 'getting all of your emotions out there.' has a cathartic effect of some sort.

• Upvote 1

As for Helleluja.  I should first say that I find Cohen to be one of those artists, like Dylan, Van Morrison, Joni Michell and others.. (all to varying degrees) whose music often goes beyond mere 'storytelling', to invoke mental images and emotional mixes which defy rational explanation.  They are, if you like, surrealist.  If I don't 'get' the lyrics pretty quickly, I tend to just let them roll over me.

But.  Here's what I found for Halleluja.

https://auralcrave.com/en/2020/01/19/leonard-cohen-hallelujah-the-meaning-of-the-lyrics/

So basically.. many life situations and events can produce 'Halleluja'.

Here's possibly my favourite song by Emmylou Harris.. I 'get it', on one level.. but I'm sure I'm missing something else. 

Eitherway... I love the tune and the music.

Winter summer seasons is taken over it's quiet
Like new fallen snow
I told you summer stories
But outside is getting mighty cold

I told you everything I could about me
Told you everything I could
How would you feel if the world
Was falling apart around you

Pieces of the sky were falling
In your neighbors yard but not on you
Wouldn't you feel just a little bit funny
Think maybe there's something you ought to do

Solutions that never lay down before you
The answers are all around
Believing is all the friend you need to talk to
Believing in you

Here's 1950/60s US icon (who did the original 'Tell Laura I Love Her'), with a song that has had millions of versions:

Seems a lot of folks are missing Corrina...  I wonder where she is?

And here is Rhiannon Gidden's band.  The Carolina Chocolate Drops.

Proper music.

When will these morons believe what has happened instead of trying to convince themselves.

With 34,000+ new cases how do you come to this conclusion. 

At the moment we have 2,500 cases and we are still taking precautions whilst reviewing the situation and releasing some restrictions. Grow up RR. Or are you immune.

• Like 2

Driving home today....listened to 'Oleta' beautiful.......

I'll be there mi duck.....even ''cross the Desert like an Arab man'''  for you...........

12 hours ago, radfordred said:

I dumped all my masks about 6 weeks ago, I can now report covid is well & truly history, I was never that convicted anyway, 2000+ in sold out Rock City crammed like sardines.

FBiHVB7WUAIqFOO?format=jpg&name=medium

I know you like to wind us up, but really? Apart from denying all of the facts, can you also confirm that every one of those clowns in that crowd was free of Covid and not infecting everyone else?

-New cases today, highest for months at about 40000..and that's just the reported ones.

-Deaths running at around 150 per day and rising.  That is around 1000 per week, or 50000+ per year, which is about 5 times more than a 'bad' Flu year.

-Most deaths are unvaccinated people, but not all.

-The vaccines are not perfect, but they massively reduce the chance of death or hospitalisation for most people.

-Not all deaths are old people.  A 15 year old girl died last week.

-If these figures were for traffic accidents, air crashes, child murders etc..would you be so flippant?

Which bit of this says Covid is history?

• Like 2