The 60s music was great.......but the 70s wernt too bad either....some lovely romantic stuff......Always liked ''Billy'' reminds me of my Norwich days and nights.....and a ''Locarno'' type place called ''Samson and Hercules''....

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

• 3 weeks later...

Gutted to learn that Ronnie Spector has died of cancer.  One of the seminal pop vocalists of the 60s era.''  and a lovely lady too...

RIP Ronnie.  And thanks for the music.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

1967.......A memorable song in every way.........was listening to it just before nearly 'Drowning' in Boston...in a car.......

Sat in the backseat of a Morris 1100 coming back from Skegness;;;;I was the only non-swimmer and was last out the car 10PM.....bank holiday monday.........Did Cartwheels into the river'' I was feeling kinda seasick''

• Like 1

Benjamin.  Those 70s songs by the Drifters came after they moved on from Atlantic Records to Bell. They were great pop songs but somehow they lacked the authenticity of the Atlantic stuff.

In other news... I've been having a bit of a Pavarotti Day..

Keep coming back to this.  If I have it right, the choir which he sings with is the one his Dad sang in, in Modena, and they are singing about their local landmark the  bell tower known as 'Ghirlandeina'  'Like Garlands'.

I love the simple emotion and affection in this tune. And on first hearing.. the choir could be a Welsh Male Voice Choir.

4 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Great sound of Dr Hook.....mostly 70s.........

Great Band led by Ray Sawyer who died 4 years ago on the 31 Dec 2018 and not to mention "Cover of the Rolling Stone", "Sylvia's Mother", "Only Sixteen" and a string of other great songs

• Like 1

This is just nice..

The vastly underrated Jennifer Warnes' version of Dire Straits classic 'Why Worry?  from her last album:  Another Time..Another Place.

Jenny has been a recording artist since  the late 1960s and is now 74.

This from her classic 1986 album of Leonard Cohen songs. Famous Blue Raincoat.

• Like 1

Woody Kern and Philamore Lincoln..?

Last time I spoke to Mick Wheat, he was working at South Nott's training college...on Canal St..!

As for Philamore...only one song on utube, 

It's a great period album, reminds me of '67 Moodys..

Anybody post playable links to Nottm artists?

I only have an ancient phone...

I heard of Woody Kern at the time but had no idea they included 'Rik' Kenton, who was in my class at school and a member , along with his brother, of the 'Hound Dogs'..also featuring my good friends Bob and Graham Wyvill, plus one Alan Carnell.

As for Philamore.  Never heard of him..but if you Google you will find full reference to his only album.. 'The North Wind Blew South', on 'Discogs'  and 'popgeekheaven'.

If you just use Youtube, you will find better known bands from Nottm. such as 'Nerve' (you will have to get past references to a much more recent band of the same name), 'Sons and Lovers', 'Duffy Taylor Blues' (another version of 'Nerve') and 'The Lovin'.. also an early 'Nerve'. And 'Whichwhat' etc.

I've posted these all before.  If you can post text to here from your 'ancient phone', you can post Youtube links to all of the above.

On 4/18/2021 at 7:48 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Very moving.......felt for the mining families when it all came to an end.........so sad.........not that i would ever have considered working down the Pit.........many of my old mates spent their working lives in the Mines...........I was asked on leaving school by the ''Jobs Officer'' which Pit was i going down...?...TOLD HIM....

This looks Woodhorn Pit Museum, near Ashington, Northumberland. My dad worked for many years there. 

On 2/7/2022 at 6:47 PM, siddha said:

DJ were you in the same class as Roger (Bash) Bates?

I recall he was a contemporary of Rik Kenton.

Sorry Siddha, but the name doesn't ring bells..though that doesn't mean I wasn't. It was a very long time ago.

Elton from his second album before he went all glam and silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqTbjKZviIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmma-0OlBHI

I'm just listening to R.E.M 'Out of Time' LP.....the one with Shiny Happy People on it.

R.E.M. were one of the few bands who 'grabbed' me back then, but I can't believe that album was released 31 years ago!  :Shock:

On 2/7/2022 at 1:38 AM, DJ360 said:

've posted these all before.  If you can post text to here from your 'ancient phone', you can post Youtube links to all of the above.

Incorrect, if I want to view youtube I have to update my 'app'. 

Only access, for me is from tv..

have you checked their youtube advertising?

It's disgraceful...

Back to Philamore, I have the CD, song 4 is called Early Sherwood, and a totally Nottingham reference based song.

He did also write Temma Harbour.

Maybe  still with us..I think..

Shout the name loud enough, you never know, might pick up that somebody's talking...lol

16 hours ago, HSR said:

Incorrect, if I want to view youtube I have to update my 'app'. 

Only access, for me is from tv..

have you checked their youtube advertising?

It's disgraceful...

I really don't understand your problem.  I can use  Youtube from my phone, and from my PC, as well as viewing it on my TV

A couple of songs which take me back to 'having a minute' from the DJ job upstairs at the 360 and having a bit of a natter with friends in the downstairs lounge, with the jukebox for a background..

I learnt something, I can view utube videos through links on here, however if I want to post something myself, I have to update though the Google play store..., Won't happen, what year did Google purchase utube? about 2018?

It did work until about 3 months ago.

When I said I was disgusted with the utube advertising, I wasn't referring to Jimmy Saville, 

The stuff I tend to view on my tv utube is mostly amateur history based, the advert 's are full of boileroom scams(iv'e researched a couple) also get rich schemes that would stretch the imagination of the ultimate delusional, but not a poor unfortunate.

Do utubers pick their own advertisers?

Either way should be monitored by Google!

On a more postive note, according to the CD liner's of the Philamore Lincoln album it was produced/engineer by the John's brother's..no less.

I Have Glyn's book, maybe glean a little bit more, 

Are you familiar with Shindig! and Goldmine Fanzines?

Which are now monthly circular's. Cover many obscurities, despite the hype, the majority should stay so (the American Stuff! ;))