• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

A belated apology for Cliff Ton. I made an error with the Dean Martin film, with John Wayne. It was 'Rio Bravo' and not Rio Lobo.

Sorry for any misunderstanding caused.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Willow we have no one but DJ 360 himself playing all the oldies.

Oddly, I was out in the car earlier listening to music and sort of re-imagining a night down the 360..

This could be how a Friday night might go around 1968/9..

While 'setting up' and waiting for the crowds...

Ok.. let's wind this up a bit...

And again....

Bring it down a bit.....

Obviously the night went on for four hours or more... with loads of toons...

P'raps a bit of Ska....

...and we wouldn't miss...

..and the all time classic..

Blimey..I'm sweatin' Cobs!!

One more!!

And bringing it down for a  'slowie...'

'Course it could have been a set from thousands of tunes..but these are my faves tonight..

Enjoy!!!

• Like 2

:)

@Red..we played the Toys song too but it was seen as a bit 'lightweight'.

Really like the Elgins and the Velvelettes though, some superb tunes from them.  Did  you know the  Temptations were called the Elgins early on?

Here's another few but I'm just back from visiting friends, so I'm not staying up long tonight. Where I can, I'm trying to find footage of the original artists, not just pics of labels....

Another 'setting up' opener..

Here we go!!

Amazing genuine 60's dancing on this rare vid of the Velvellettes.

A little breather....

It wasn't all Motown....  This version of Midnight Hour, mostly associated with Wilson Pickett, was a big hit for the Mirettes and went down well at the 360.

Terrible sound..but a fab video....

Calm down a bit...

Time for the last floorfiller.....

And a 'snogger'....

Night!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

Another 'setting up' opener..

DJ360, often used to hear Theme 1 closing down Radio 1 after overtime on the afternoon shift. Van Der Graff Generator did a half decent version too.

Not heard the Mirettes version of In the Midnight Hour before, it's not half bad.

• Like 1

Welcome home Lizzie........did you sing this when leaving ?

Wonderful voice of Mr Belafonte..........

• Like 3

Rod has always been my favourite and have been to see him so many times in concert. Absolute legend.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I first heard this played one Friday night in The Fountain pub in Nottm town centre can't remember the name of the area but it was a bit further down and on the other side of the walk from the clothes shop Wardrobe and a bit further along on the corner was the clothes shop Birdcage (another of my haunts!).  I was with a friend & asked if she knew what it was as I luved it!   It took me yonks to find out the song title & that it was The Elgins singing it - still luv it today.

• Like 1

It is indeed Siddha, but I'm kind of forced to make the same point again...

Most of what got lumped in under the description of 'Northern Soul', was stuff which I and many others had been playing from at least the early 1960s onwards..long before the term 'Northern Soul' was coined.  What happened was that the'Northern' crowd picked those soul tracks..and a few which had bugger all to do with soul..which suited their BPM and dance rhythm requirements and inserted them into an 'invention', called Northern Soul.  Along the way they also dumped most of the Stax/Atlantic and similar soul featuring the likes of Redding, Sam and Dave, Joe Tex, Don Covay etc..etc.., because it didn't fit their ideal.

I'm not knocking it.  I can understand the excitement of being 'in on' something different and a little bit tribal. Obviously loads of folk had a ball, which is fine, but I just wish those guys would realise and acknowedge that they did not invent this music, they appropriated it. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Godin

So..having got that off of my chest.... :)..  Here's another 1967 'Northern Soul' classic I was playing before anyone had heard of Northern Soul..

And another from 1965..