• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

13 hours ago, Beekay said:

So MrsB., Are you going to sing it for us now? That would be lovely.

Saturday morning and I'm listening to the late Eva Cassiday singing "Fields of Gold". Could listen to her all day.

Enjoy your day Mrs Blowbroth.x

Beekay, Mrs Blowbroth apparently is a “meddling busy body”, shame on you for suggesting I am that mate. I would rather be known as a McDonald (or MacDonald whichever you prefer, same clan Donald) We are only 2nd to Genius Khan in the amount of descendants globally we have. Might have been a few more if the Campbells hadn’t massacred 30+ of us at Glencoe in 1692 for failing to pledge allegiance to William 3rd and Mary 2nd. Original origins from the Norse Celtic warrior King Somerled. All very interesting.

on another note , I really like Stings version of Fields of Gold.

Hadrians wall never stopped your lot from coming down though. We're you a witness then at Glencoe? Went up there a few years back and I fell in love with area. It were on a long weekend, "Vintage Steam" or something like that. Went on a steam train, Waverley paddle steamer, out of Helensburgh and Sir Walter Scott, on Lake Katrine. 

Our favourite neighbours are Scots, (but surname...Kneebone).

Any road, I never said or implied you were a meddling busy-body, so take care mate Mrs.Bubblegum.xx 

Aww Beekay, I much prefer Mrs Bubblegum, that’s cute.

Just been listening to this.....thought how appropriate in todays climate...cheered me up anyway...........wish i could Whistle...:)

• 2 weeks later...

There's an Amazon ad on the telly at the moment featuring this tune, from the point just before King Curtis' electrifying sax break kicks in..

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Bored with what was on TV so just flicking around channels abd saw Andre Rieu     .live in b

Brazil just by chanch I came across Andre on Utube watched the vidios and realy enjoyed his shows.

For those who don't know him. he has his own orchestra and he plays the violin. He gets all the audience involved. I truly enjoy his shows..                                                                                              if  you haver never seen him then take a look at his vidio on utube

You wont be disapointed.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The Boss is away so I've been pleasing myself and listening to lots of music.  But tonight, I just wanted to hear the Drifters.  So easy to listen to.. but such quality in the songwriting, the vocals and the production.

All featuring the late, and hugeley underrated Johnny Moore on vocals.

• Like 1

We had had a Drifters compilation CD playing in the car for the last 6 months or so on continuous play .

All great songs , though my wife hates one of their older ones , Money Honey, so that usually got ejected !   

However we are on a longer trip up to our sons in Northants so actually had a change and put on a comp of Dusty Springfields hits. Again , all great tracks.

• Like 1

Back in the day on a family trip to Anglesey the singer at the hotel very obviously sang “Save the last dance for me” to me. Such was the start of a long relationship at the time. Nice memories.

• Like 1

As I recall.. Money Honey was among the first songs issued under the Drifters name. I'm not sure whether the original Drifters were recruited as a vehicle for the songs or what.. but as far as I know that first group was disbanded and later issues were by a  a different group entirely...a pattern which continued throughout the long career of 'The Drifters'.

Along the way they had  several notable lead vocalists, including Clyde McPhatter, Ben E King, Rudy Lewis and Johnny Moore.

I have a 5 CD set which is part of the 'Original Album Series'. A very cost effective source of albums which could cost a fortune on original vinyl, even if you could find them. For me this set out does the 2 CD 'Definitive Drifters' set..for very little money.

That said.. the Definitive Drifters does have a list of all official members of the band  during their time with Atlantic Records. That's over 100 people, some coming in and out several times.

The 'metadata' generated by my music server goes one better and lists the personnel changes for their whole career, almost on a month by month basis. If I can find a way to copy it, I'll post it here.

This..which reads like a soap opera, will have to do...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Drifters

• Like 1

Loved Sheena...back in the day ........was between marriages early 80s and recall Dancing to this in a club in Leicester...with a lovely girl called Judith from Anstey...and lost a Nottingham girlfriend all because of Judith's Hair grip...that still had a blond Hair in it......long story but right Funny....:rolleyes:

• Like 1

I've been listening..in the car.. to a compilation CD I made a few years ago and had almost forgotten. It features some of the worst..and best..obscure pop music ever recorded..:)

To start.. the Doo Wop tune 'Angel of Romance', by the Claremonts. I mean.. OK.. 'Ah. Ah.Ah', with a pronounced 'glottal stop' was a stylistic feature of everything from Buddy Holly, through Doo Wop, to Adam Faith and beyond, but this one by The Claremonts takes it to ridiculous extremes..  It's fun though..

Next up.. the original version of 'Rock Around The Clock'..

This was only recorded by this band because Bill Haley's producer didn't like  the song, even though it was written for him. Haley's version did better, s a result of the film 'Blackboard Jungle', but this has its merits.

Sonny Dae and the Knights. I love the 'Rack Rack Rack'..

And finally, the Miller Sisters...'Ten Cats Down'

On one level this is a great early rock and roll song.. but on another.. you have to ask what were these ladies thinking?

Were they aware what 'rock and roll' really meant?

'I rocked number one..had some fun'

'Tried number two, learned something new'

'I rolled number three, got the best of me'

Crikey!

'I rocked number six.. learned some tricks' :blink:

• Like 2

They don.t make em like this anymore..........remember it playing on the Penguin'' cafe juke box in Bulwell about 1960.......i never did wear ''Pink Shoe Laces''

Did think about it...but no one sold em in Bulwell..:)

• Like 1

Is that @Carni out in front ?..........gonna get her to ride 'Tandem'' with me  :)

• Upvote 2

AHH these were the days...great Music....everybody laid back.....and nicely dressed....no shorts..no feet...no T shirts....no wonder we loved life back then................:biggrin:

• Like 4