• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

12 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Moved into our new home today,,      The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

Apart from moving home the last few weeks have been a bit turbulent health wise for me and the wife,,

Nice to see  you back Ben, in the new, relaxed atmosphere.

Without giving away any details, are you still in Bulwell....or have you gone somewhere foreign ?

• Like 1

Now about 9 miles from Bulwell,,but lovely bungalow in nice area,, will always yearn for Bulwell,, 

3 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Now about 9 miles from Bulwell,,but lovely bungalow in nice area,, 

What no more morning coffee at 'spoons? dear me, how the world is changing 

• Like 1

Tell us your nearest coffee place Ben, and I'll stand you a Double Espresso next time I'm in Nottm.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, FLY2 said:

If we get loppy back, and as Lizzie says, get a few old stalwarts returning, we might get some REAL banter back.

Thanks Fly. ???

Bulwell definitely stirs the emotions in folk,,i recently defended Bulwell on "nottm,way back when" and got 18 likes,,,i think its terrific that its still known as Bulwell Town,,within the city,,the only other i can think of is Basford Town,,anyone think of any others?

4 minutes ago, denshaw said:

Beeston Town?  Not many people know that there's a B&Q in Beeston square.

Beeston not in the city Den,,

5 hours ago, AfferGorritt said:

Eyup Ben! Moving house at our time of life is a right bugger, in’t it? I’ve recently done it and haven’t sat down since April,

I’d be really angry if the removal company had lost our chairs when we moved house smile2

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Dug all my old CDs out this morning,,some great stuff I've not played for years,,

Many I'd forgot about,,a very wide range,,from Benny Goodmans ""fascinating Rythm"" through Dean Martins ""gentle on my mind""to Acker Bilk and ""could i have this dance""  ahh

Find some to sing to with Carni and the choir soon,,

• Like 1

Great musical morning, sorting the CDs,,even had a dance,,in my dressing gown,, to ""make it with you"" by Bread,,and ""I'm into something good"" Hermans Hermits,, must get dressed,,wife getting excited at me in dressing gown,, 

Edit,,just seen your post carni,,go for it gel,,lol

• Like 2

Still playing my old CDs and keep getting memories from them from my travelling days,

Used to do interviews in Grimsby at a Christian place which was known as the"" Ice house" Obviuosly from its fishing industry past,,they had a small theatre and ran things for local kids there,,plus a coffee shop (where i did my interviews) and a little shop selling all kinds of Christian artefacts,,

Anyway the CD I'm playing just now i purchased there about twenty years since,,its by the "Jubilee choir""and is full of uplifting songs,, Morning has broken" "You'll never walk alone" "All people that on earth do dwell"" and many more,,whether your religious or not,,you can't help but be "uplifted" in the morning by songs like these,,

My mind slips back to the nice people that ran it,,and and always made me welcome,, loved Grimsby and Cleethorpes,,

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Anyway the CD I'm playing just now i purchased there about twenty years since,,its by the "Jubilee choir""and is full of uplifting songs,, Morning has broken" "You'll never walk alone" "All people that on earth do dwell"" and many more,,whether your religious or not,,

Hymns always remind me of assembly at infants and junior school. Reading the words off a large sheet of paper which was fixed to the wall in the school hall.

We had hymns rammed down out throats at school for years. Whenever I go to a wedding or a funeral I know all the words without resorting to a hymn book. You can never shake off the religious indoctrination to which we were subjected.

Phil, if you come to my funeral, you won't know the words of the songs!    I've chosen some of my favourite modern ones - ones which have words that mean a lot to me.   I know I won't be there, but I would like people to remember me partly through the songs.  The church will probably present them via the sound desk with downloaded music and singing...  and the words on a screen.   Many churches nowadays are probably very different places from those you remember - at least the ones are that have moved forward in their outlook.  The basic beliefs are the same but the way these are presented and shared is more up to date.    Christianity is not an old  fashioned belief.  It's relevant in the world today

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Actually enjoyed morning assembly and the Hymns that went with it,,

All things bright and beautiful""my favourite,,a must at my funeral, along with "gentle on my mind" Glen Campbell,, 

Edit, don't know what else will be played,,wife says she's gonna surprise me,,

• Like 1
8 hours ago, HSR said:

Could talk Jack Bruce & Nottingham, saw him three times in the eighties and refused entry on another occasion, due to being sold out. Amazed that a certain gig hasn't been mentioned on here!

Not sure which gig you are referring to, but I saw him with Cream at  what was then Nottm Tech (Nottm Trent Uni now I think.) I have mentioned it before.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, HSR said:

Could talk Jack Bruce & Nottingham, saw him three times in the eighties and refused entry on another occasion, due to being sold out. Amazed that a certain gig hasn't been mentioned on here!

He played Nottingham twice in 1984. On 5th June, at an Alexis Korner tribute gig with an all-star cast; and on August 21st with a 4-piece band....and I was at the second one.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MargieH said:

Phil, if you come to my funeral, you won't know the words of the songs!    I've chosen some of my favourite modern ones - ones which have words that mean a lot to me.   I know I won't be there, but I would like people to remember me partly through the songs.  The church will probably present them via the sound desk with downloaded music and singing...  and the words on a screen.   Many churches nowadays are probably very different places from those you remember - at least the ones are that have moved forward in their outlook.  The basic beliefs are the same but the way these are presented and shared is more up to date.    Christianity is not an old  fashioned belief.  It's relevant in the world today

‘Straight to Crem.” in my will. Nobody’s getting a ham tea out of me!

• Upvote 1

Ben, when your time comes, we'll rewrite that old song from Oklahoma just for you. Something along these lines...

I'm just a boy who cain't say no,

Kissin's my favourite food

with or without the mistletoe

i'm in a holiday mood.

other boys are coy and hard to catch

but other boys aint havin any fun

every time i lose a wrestling match

i have a funny feeling that i won

although i can feel the undertone

i never make a complaint

till its to late for restraint

then when i wanno i caint

i caint say no

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

He played Nottingham twice in 1984. On 5th June, at an Alexis Korner tribute gig with an all-star cast; and on August 21st with a 4-piece band....and I was at the second one.

Must confess, I thought the Alexis Korner show was April '84, so much so I plonked my size 13 feet on the ladders to the loft..normally when I want something I leave it to my more nimble daughter!

I was looking for a cassette tape..Spot on Cliffton! June 5th spoken by John Shaw on Trent, the Folk show, this was broadcast a few weeks later, Grandad recorded it for me as I didn't reside in Nottingham.

At one time it was on utube, don't know if it still is, but missing the interviews with Jack, Iain Stewart and Jimmy Page.

As for the gig itself, while being very well attended it didn't feel overcrowded, listening to the interviews think it was kept a little 'hush hush' who was appearing..a truly magical night, if I could 'revist' this would be the one.

Sorry for the ramble..Jack Bruce part 2 to come