A boring night on the box last night, so it was earphones on, and an evening of utube gems. Began with Free, then Frankie Miller. Found a pearler of Frankie and Paul Kossoff, 'I know why the sun don't shine'. Then a bit of Alvin Lee, with another super track, 'Motel Blues'. 

Kossoff's playing is so smooth, but raw. Intense, but also so melodic. Contained, but flowing, and expressive. A sad loss.

Play the two aforementioned tracks, and if you're not emotionally moved by them, then I'm afraid you've no pulse!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

Still playing my old CDs,, one called "Sunshine" at the moment,,when it comes to music taste i tend to go with my mood,,and this one suits this morning,,

Some great tracks from the "Isley brothers" "Ella Fitzgerald" "Dizzy Gillespie" "Louis Armstrong" and many others,,also some great "Instrumentals" for slow dancing,,

Not been feeling to good lately,,and the moving hasn't helped,,but all this music is bringing me back to my old self,,

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:16 AM, LizzieM said:

I’d be really angry if the removal company had lost our chairs when we moved house

We spent the first 9 months of our time in OZ with two bean bags, a cheap table/chairs, a TV, a fridge and a bed, as the company that was shipping our furniture went bust and we had to pay again and wait for our stuff to get here. When we eventually got our stuff two of the dining chairs were damaged and had to be repaired.

On 7/11/2019 at 8:43 PM, FLY2 said:

Just been listening to some gems by the late great Alvin Lee. Nottingham born guitarist and founder of Ten Years After.

Try listening to 'Bluest of Blues'. Absolutely stunning soulful and bluesy with George Harrison on slide guitar in the first break. 

I must admit to never being a big fan of George's playing, but this was mindchanging. Guitar based blues at its very best.

His Dad was an Engineer on the site at the bottom of Southglade Rd when they were tunnelling through the hill to make a drain across to the Leen via Boowul Common. I had a couple of chats with him.

I have Alvin's last album.. which I think is called 'Further On Down the Road'..  Must dig it out. 

So much music.. so little time...

• Upvote 1

I've just sent for Pure Blues by Alvin. Some absolutely glorious stuff on it. 

• Like 1

Had 'Down to the River', the debut CD on in the car all week of the Allman Betts Band, formed by Devon Allman, (Greggs son) Duane Betts, (Dickeys son) and Berry Duane Oakley, (Berry's son)

The Allman Brothers, they'll never be, but nevertheless they're a great band with hopefully, a great future in store for them. As long as they steer clear of the tragedies, the substance abuse, the infighting, the dodgy business dealings, and all the other dubious sides of the music industry.

All in all, a great album, and hopefully they'll carry the flag for Southern Rock since the demise of the Allmans.

• 4 months later...

I aways loved Tina.  I loved some of her less well known hits with Ike too.. including these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkGMpVj95Z0

So Fine not an original by Ike and Tina, being originally a 'Doo Wop' song but I can't remember by who..

And this... not to be confused with a similar title by the Temps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UotZFwItym0

P.S. I'm at a loss to know why I can't get the videos to show 'in line'.

• 4 weeks later...

As a scruffy student in what now seems a lifetime ago Baez and Dylan were de rigueur. I find her a bit too shrill and sugary now. Her Diamonds and Rust was better where she sings an octave lower.

• Like 1

I sort of agree, but it depends very much on the song.  There's a sequence of songs on. I think, 'In Concert' Vol 2, which is superb and not too shrill. It includes 'Pretty Peggy O' also known as Fenario, along with Long Black Veil and one other I can't bring to mind.  Diamonds and Rust is of course a stunningly good album.

• 3 weeks later...

Not listening to anything cos I'm deaf - however I have been rummaging among our old record collection this morning - so DJ, advice please before I chuck them out. Mixture of early pop 45's trad jazz and all sorts. Our son raided the collection a few years ago so all the Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Black Sabbath and stuff from that era missing.

On 1/14/2020 at 1:06 PM, PeverilPeril said:

Not listening to anything cos I'm deaf - however I have been rummaging among our old record collection this morning - so DJ, advice please before I chuck them out. Mixture of early pop 45's trad jazz and all sorts. Our son raided the collection a few years ago so all the Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Black Sabbath and stuff from that era missing.

Hi PP,

If you give me titles and preferably serial No.s  in a PM, I can look at reference books to check rough values.. though as you know, anything is ultimately worth whatever you can get for it...  :)

P.S. Condition is everything..

• Like 1

P.S. @ Peveril Peril..  Please do not 'chuck out' your old records.  If they are in half-decent condition, I'll buy them from you.

5 hours ago, DJ360 said:

P.S. @ Peveril Peril..  Please do not 'chuck out' your old records.  If they are in half-decent condition, I'll buy them from you.

Thanks DJ. Not really thought much about selling them. I would assume that most are rubbish and not in particularly good nick. Buying a record player tomorrow for Mrs PP and we will have a more careful search through them. Some artists I have never heard of. Quite a lot of trad jazz - Duch Swing College etc. Some belonged to my dad and sister so quite a diverse collection. Even a few 78's.

PP Do whatever you think best, except don't throw them out..  They are cultural and historic... even the oones you or I may think are 'naff'.  If you want to know potential values, you could try looking on Discogs

https://www.discogs.com/

It lists all sales in all types of music etc., etc.  Otherwise your best bet is the Record Collector Rare Record Price Guide.

Col

• Like 1

P.S.  This site is maybe more accessible.. but I think it may only alow so many searches per session.

https://www.popsike.com/index.php

• 1 month later...

And yesterday.. at the Bristol Hi Fi show, I was reminiscing about the time I played this tune VERY LOUD at a Hi Fi Show near Chesterfield about 1997.  I played it so loud via wardrobe sized Tannoy Corner Horn speakers and massive valve amps.. that the chap in the room next door shut his music off. I apoligised later and we laughed about it yesterday...

Worth playing loud though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy8dZEpEYrA

Bloody Youtube isn't playing tonight... you'll have to click on the link!!

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I'm looking for a tune to measure these times.  I'm not interested in cliches like 'I Will Survive'..

Fun Boy three - the lunatics have taken over the asylum

Phil Collins - in the air tonight

The garden centres and National Trust gardens are open to us all, so with care might get my honorary Mother in law to Caulke Abbey for a good walk

Got all the hardware now to repair the shed roof and re paint the fences. Banned from shopping, but not biking, so will set up a daily routine.

China seem to be coming out the other side, so there is always hope.

Take care

• 3 weeks later...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

With the current situation, my bad hearing has gone on the back burner.

I have a Bluetooth speaker, gave the neighbours some early Sabbath a fortnight ago.

Really enjoyed listening two the first two Marillion albums a couple of days ago.

Kevin Ayers tonight was wonderful! smile2!!

• 2 weeks later...

Beyond words...

Me too Margie. And thanks for posting Enigma.

Marianne was never a great singer.. but her chart hits were all very well chosen songs which played to the 'fragile' personna she presented.

• Like 1