• Like 2
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

We lived in Mollington, a village next to Cropredy, when we were first married. In fact (in those old fashioned days) our telephone number was Cropredy 462 ..... quaint eh?!!  When Fairport Convention had their first open air ‘do’ in Cropredy we didn’t know about it as it was a private affair in a back garden in the village and then when the Cropredy Festival became a bigger affair we’d moved closer to London and had a couple of young kids so it wasn’t something we put as a priority.   Before we had children we spent quite a lot of time in Cropredy as my husband played football for Cropredy in the local Sunday League and we’d go to the village pub, think it was called The Brasenose.  I wish we’d had the opportunity of going to the Cropredy Festival seeing as it was only 2 or 3 miles from that home but when we left Mollington in 1977 we weren’t to know and the move was all about personal ambition and progress.  

Still trying to earn a few bob but past it then Ann!  
The only time I’ve walked out of a performance at half-time was Riverdance, years ago in London.
OMG, I’ve never sat through anything as monotonous as that before or since.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

A neighbour.. who is also a fan of the bloody awful Yes.. had a spare ticket to see Jon Anderson at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester.

I can never understand why anyone likes Yes, and especially Anderson. Horrible squeaky, shrill, croaky voice 'singing' unfathomable melodies.

• Like 2

Still love music from the 50s,,,spent a lot of time at my Grandparents where my Mams sisters were still at home blasting away such favourites as Johnnie Ray,, Ruby Murray,,Frankie Lane,,Connie Francis and the like,,my Grandma was in fact a member of Dickie Valentines fan club....lol....

Used to watch all me Aunts Jiving and singing like the Beverley Sisters,,,truly happy days with my lovely Aunts and Uncles.

• Like 2

My father's younger brother, born in 1939 when grandma Kate was 45, acquired a Dansette around 1959.  I was around 2 years old but can still see him at my grandfather's house on Humber Road, Beeston, playing Standing on the Corner, Living Doll and something about sitting in the back seat, hugging and a kissing with Fred!

Whatever that was.

He got married in March 1961 at Daybrook Parish Church and presumably took the Dansette with him to his marital home, much to Kate's relief.

He died last year. Every time I hear one of those songs, I'm back in Humber Road!

• Like 1

Hugging and a kissin with Fred,,...why dont one of you come up and sit beside a me,,,,this is what the 7 girls said,,,............CARNIE......where are ya,, and the choir..........?

• Like 1

When the song came out i was in my last year at school,,,and we nicknamed our school goalkeeper Fred'' in recognition of the song,,,his name is Stan,,still see him and still call him Fred.............how ya doing Fred?..........i know he comes on here........lol

Sorry I'm late at the choir meetings benj, I blame .........erm.  Me! :rolleyes:

We drove through the town

We drove through the country

Benj showed them how his motor could go

He said how do you like my triple carbureter

And one of them whispered low.  Over to you choir........:biggrin:

Promise you I didn't cheat and look it up

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

When it comes to having an opinion on music, everybody eventually turns into their parents.

Interesting observation, I always liked what my parents listened to musically as a youngster. Guitar oriented blues & Jazz 

Remember thinking when aged late Twenties..well what now..thing is you always found something new. Currently listening to alot of lo-fi early rockabilly..passion and poke!

On 6/9/2020 at 12:12 AM, annswabey said:

We went to see Richard Thompson a couple of years ago - don't know why.  SO boring that we left after about 30 mins

Classic example of what lights your candle, seen Richard Thompson over 30 time's, always superb! The 'electronic' album 2014 was a  'return to form'. Only time I saw him in Nott's was at the Royal Centre about'94.

Agreed, Denny & Thompson are the best period..

Anybody attend the Fairport Convention, Convention..was at Rock City about '81 Broadcast live  with John Shaw on Radio Trent. There were at least two of these, won free tickets to the First..

• 1 month later...

Oh no, I suffer from 'earworms' and every time someone mentions purple I get April and Nino going around in my head.

When I arrived in the metropolis a visit to Pearsons record department was a regular,  and the first thing I bought there was 'Bluesbreakers' , Mayall and Clapton. When I moved south this was one of the LPs I left in the attic at Trough Road, Watnall, having foolishly succumbed to CDs. Strange how teenage boys felt such affinity with cotton pickers in the Delta and meat processors in Chicago ... Elmore James, Houndog Taylor and, of course, that well known Nottingham estate agent Robert Johnson.  My current earworm, because gold was mentioned in connection with a bus, strange person, is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF9Q3hnAr88

Oh well, back to loading the dishwasher.

Far out, peace and light, B.

• Like 1

Asked Alexa (bless her) to play some fifties music and so I've been tearfully nostalgic on this rainy morning.

'Why  must I be a teenager in love?'    Ingoldmells holiday romance (if you could call it that) when I was 16 .... also called Paul (but not my Paul)

'Que sera sera'.  At 13, it never crossed my mind what I would like to be when I grew up, apart from getting married and having triplet girls!!!  I wonder what my 13 year old self would have thought if she could have seen me now .... horrified, I expect, because when you're young you can't actually envisage being old.  But I would tell her that I'm happy with how my life has turned out and wouldn't have it any other way. (Even without having triplets)

'Wake up little Susie'    Reminds me of when I was with my group of friends in Woodthorpe Park when I was about 15.    Great times listening to a portable record player , jiving in the shelter near the swings and generally dossing about as teenagers still do

'That'll be the day'.   In Filey.  Another  little holiday romance when I was 14 (all very sweet and innocent I might add).  

I'd better stop before I start sounding like ben!

• Like 3

I often ask Alexa to play 50's and 60's music. Great memories and my dad saying " oh not that again" and mum saying " put Max Bygraves on "

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Yesterday I went to do some shopping in the local supermarket but before I went in I inserted another cd as I was fed up of hearing the same one for short local, journeys. When mum came to live here she brought with her a load of boxed cd's along with singles . She never played them here and I've never opened the box they were in. Sorting out the other day I took some of these cd's and put them into my car. The cd that started to play was Nat King Cole. Yes I know it's old and maybe not to anyone's taste on here but driving along albeit for a short distance it was extremely relaxing. My husband said listening to NKC years ago helped him to learn English as he was so easy to understand. Must sort out the rest of these cd's I know there are some classicals amongst them.

• Like 2

Few years ago I attended a funeral of someone I had known for years, the 3 songs they played where all Nat King Cole which he had requested, we had discussed & played music & attended gigs over the years, I was shocked he had never mentioned his love for old Nat.

• Like 1

I would put Nat Cole's version of Hoagy Carmichael's 'Stardust' easily into my 'Top Ten Ballads'  along with Ella's 'Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye', Johnny Mathis' 'Misty', Julie London 'Cry Me a River', Billy Eckstine & Sarah Vaughan 'Passing Strangers' and a few others.  May search out and post a few later.

Many years ago, I attempted to learn to play the classical guitar. Too harsh on the fingers. In fact,  just as harsh as the violin which I had to learn as a second instrument at school.  A shame really, as I would love to play the lute.

I was a competent recorder player and because my interest is in early music, I enjoyed playing various pieces from Tudor times. Other than that, it's the piano these days. Much easier on the fingers...of which I have 8 and 2 thumbs.