• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

I didn’t know that story HSR.

I know McGuinn started out as a banjo player and used finger picks on a lot of his guitar tracks with The Byrds. I also know he was wowed by the sound of George Harrison's 360/12 Rickenbacker on A Hard Days Night so he went out a bought one for himself. He also got Crosby to use a Gretsch and Michael Clarke to use Ludwig drums to try and emulate the sound of The Beatles. He didn't completely succeed but finished up with very impressive sound of his own.

10 minutes ago, HSR said:

Oldie but goodie..

What's the difference between a U.S.A. Strat' and a Mexican Strat?:mellow:

Serious answer is price/wood/ number of frets. But I guess there's a joke coming up which I haven't heard so please put me out my misery and hit me with the punchline.

14 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

How would you dress for Dancing to 'Blue Grass''..........gud ol boys?

Has to be bib'n'brace overalls, check shirts and boots, sorry Ben no neckties

• Like 1

My late wife and I had a driving holiday in Scotland in 1967.  Mostly B&B so we felt like we got to know the locals a bit in each place.  We were treated really well and generously, even being invited to join with them for supper if we arrived a bit early.  No extra charge.  I can't say I've ever met a mean Scotsman.

We often wondered if they thought we were honeymooners.  I was 22 and she was 21.  Folks were too polite to ask directly.  We'd actually been married almost two years.

If I ever moved back to the UK  (doubtful now) I think I'd like to live up in the highlands somewhere far from a city.

Ben....I live just an hour or so south of the Appalachians.  Mrs L is from that neck of the woods in Tennessee.  I often call her a Hillbilly.  She uses sayings like, "I'm fixin' to..."  Uses quite a lot of English sayings that you would know too.  Likes Cornbread and Grits and quite a few foods I'd never heard of until I came here.  

I think it's because a lot of her ancestors came from the Norfolk area.  Seems to be more folks of UK descent here than there was in Canada.   There's a lot of Scots and Irish descendants up there too. When I listen to Bluegrass and some of their other folk music I detect a lot of similarities to Scottish and Irish country music.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, annswabey said:

Col.  I was so pleased to listen to Gigli singing Vesti la Giubbia.  My Dad's favourite -a normal working class bloke with a desperately poor background, who loved operatic arias. 

That brought back memories for me because my grandad - who lived in Radford and worked at Players - had a thing about Italian opera. They never had a television set but did have a record player, and one of my memories of visiting them is hearing my grandad play records (including 78s).

At the time I didn't really understand what I was hearing (and I didn't particularly like it) but in retrospect I now know it was Italian opera. I'm still not very fond of it, but whenever I hear it, it brings back memories of visiting that house in the 1960s.

• Like 3

I don't mind operas. Never understood them but nice to listen to. Now I find they are more interesting when listening to them. When I saw the video of Gigli I thought what a strange title as I'd never heard of it and translated seemed an unlikely title for opera.Then listening to it, one phrase is "laugh, clown" and I would have said that was something in the title.

I enjoy listening and watching the young men called Volo. I watched them grow on tv and now they travel the world doing concerts, opera as well as other serious music. Three very disciplined and pleasant young men.

I am not a lover of opera, the sooner the fat lady sings the better as far as I am concerned. It may be due to the fact that it was pushed down our throats at school. It sounds like someone scraping their nails down an old glass blackboard to me with a lot of people shouting and screaming.

It would not be good for us all to like and dislike the same thing, each to their own musical pleasure

I am not an opera fan, either, although I do like choral music and have sung in several choirs.  While I'm not a Verdi fan, I do like the Requiem. Mainly, my interest in music is greatest up to the late 1700s and is mainly concentrated around early music and plainchant.  That said, I love Vaughan-Williams, Butterworth, Finzi and some other, later, composers.  Stockhausen, John Cage and Einaudi you can keep!

• 2 months later...

John Axton, I really liked and dirty old town, wonderfully gritty & provoking..

What was that critism. 'holding your ear thing?'

I always try to keep my posts Nottingham based and the majority of the time something slightly relevant can inspire a memory.

Recall a poet, used to come on between bands at the Runner, Sal, & other's.

Looked very much like John Cooper Clarke, very good and did very similar material, to this day still unsure if it was the real deal. 

I'd never heard of an Allen GW 4.  Could be a theatre organ, They do make them.  

Have you heard of 'Hauptwerk'? It's a virtual organ program that runs via midi connected keyboards.  Made in th US, but I know it has a good foothold in the UK.  It uses digitally sampled sounds from various organs, then you can play them if you have a midi capable organ.  Unfortunately I don't, but I did try the free version using my midi piano keyboard.  It sounded great.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had an hour watching and listening to one of my all time favourites Rod Stewart he was dancing while singing his great songs.....we exact same age well 6 weeks difference....anyway not to be outdone turned the volume up and copied him....wife laughing her head off and threw me walking stick down the garden.............she reckons im getting better...........lol

• Like 1

''Travelin Man''     1961  Rick Nelson

This is the song that inspired me to hit the road for Marsdens.......i was 16 and even went to Chesterfield......lol

• Like 1

Procol Harum.........''Whiter shade of Pale'''   1968

Great sound and words....brings back so 'many memories......

'''One of 16 Vestal Virgins leaving for the coast'''    ''Turn Cartwheels cross the floor''

• Like 1

Hollies..........''He aint Heavy he's my Brother'''    made some great songs...........ex Fiance's Favourite......she kissed one of em in town......on her break as a Waitress in Lyons.long row...:wacko:

• Like 1

AH AH and me Margie...........back when i took her to Tamworth she was about 30 and i was 25 ish   she was divorced and i was seperated........she lived in a little terraced house in Alum Rock..

It was snowing and frosty and when i took her home going down her Alley my footsteps made loud crunching sounds

she told me to walk Quietly because her EX only lived next door..

LOL         Funny the things you remember........:rolleyes:

Loved my times in Brum...........

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ve never been to a ‘Christian’ hotel but I did stay at a ‘temperance’ hotel in Dublin once; although I didn’t realise it was. It was ok though, the hall porter said ‘if you fancy a drink I’ll pop out and get you a bottle!’. That’s Ireland! 

6 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve never been to a ‘Christian’ hotel but I did stay at a ‘temperance’ hotel in Dublin once; although I didn’t realise it was. It was ok though, the hall porter said ‘if you fancy a drink I’ll pop out and get you a bottle!’. That’s Ireland! 

Reminds me of the old gag about the two blokes who go into an Irish pub at 5:30 only to be told they don't open till 6:00. So they decide to wait.. whereupon the barman asks. "Will you be wantin' a pint while 'yer waitin'?

Thought i'd kick my day off with the lovely sound of 

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons'''

''Oh what a night'''

''What a Lady..what a Night ''

Memories of Trina at the 'Bodega''

• Like 3