1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I also look back with fondness to the folk club days, going to pubs in the area to listen to live music. I knew all the songs but never had the balls to perform them solo in front of a live audience. Something to do with my voice perhaps!

Used to frequent the local 'Traveller's Rest' Folk club in the 1970s. It moved up to my local in the village for a couple of years and then to another pub here.. before sort of fizzling..though I believe there's a core of musicians still meeting in the next village (Covid permitting) When the club met here in the village, I went up there one evening, having no idea who was playing... and was charged admission on the door by no less a British Folk Superstar than Dave Swarbrick the late and legendary fiddler.  I stood with my back to the bar listening to a local couple playing. The chap next to me turned and said.. "They're very good aren't they.."  I turned to face him and agree.. It was Martyn Carthy!!.  A very nice chap and totally unassuming given his legendary status.

I only sang solo once at the Traveller's Rest.  I sang an old Whaling Tune called 'The Coast of Peru'. which I learned from a version by the legendary A.L. 'Bert' Lloyd.  I told the audience 'This is a Whaling Song'.. or it is when I sing it.. (meaning 'wailing'). They actually laughed.  I soon put a stop to that...;)  I can only recall the last verse now so I must dig out the record it's on: 'Topic Sampler..Sea Songs and Shanties'

'Now we're bound for old Tumbez in our manly power,

Where a man buys a whorehouse for a barrel of flour,

We'll spend all our money on them pretty gals ashore,

And when it's all gone me boys we'll go whaling for more.'

Found it..

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

Our folk clubs were the Plough at Cromwell Butler, the Rutland Arms at Newark and the Reindeer at Southwell. It was mainly the same local artists we saw at each one although they did have the occasional ‘famous’ name. I had played guitar in a couple of bands before that but that was in the rock and roll years. I did learn to play folk guitar but my singing was not up to much. Having said that, neither was that of the folk singers! 

We have a number of pretty competent performers hereabouts.  We also have the added benefit of a sizeable contingent of folks of Irish descent.. who all seem to be automatically able to play and sing.

Shay Black, brother of the well known singer Mary Black, used to play at the Traveller's quite a bit. I also used to go to the 'Buck i'th Vine' in Ormskirk and another club in Maghull.

• 2 weeks later...

Need help here            was the original Nottingham Playhouse the small place on Goldsmith street or was it called something else?

I went there about 1963 a couple of times..saw         Marti Wilde...Gene Vincent...the Vernon Girls...Eden Kane........

3 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Need help here            was the original Nottingham Playhouse the small place on Goldsmith street or was it called something else?

Yes, it was the Playhouse and the building is still there......although it keeps changing its name. 

https://goo.gl/maps/ewGSmVPF285YfagH8

• Like 1

Thanks Cliff ton........thought i had imagined it........also went there to deliver a Parcel when i was a Van-Lad and saw Marty Wilde rehearsing.............my driver had to come and get me out   

Was it called the Gaumont Theatre at some point?  I remember going into a place very much like it for a 'schools' performance of a very much abridged 'Great Expectations'. I could swear it was called the Gauont and I think the Playhouse had by thenn moved to the new modern premises.

The Gaumont   Did Bill Hayley and the comets visit here one lunch time?

It was the Odeon Noddy ! I went to see The Platters there. I must have been about 13 at the time.

Re the Gaumont, didn't it become ABC Nottingham? It started life as The Hippodrome. 

11 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Was it called the Gaumont Theatre at some point?  

8 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Yes DJ it was the Gaumont it was a cinema when i used to go there in the late 60s.

The Gaumont was a cinema on the next corner - where Wollaton St meets Goldsmith Street.   The building was demolished many years ago and replaced by this.  

https://goo.gl/maps/mJUUqJKcb155ULpP9

• Like 2

First music of the day....

''Ring of Fire''         The great 'Johnny Cash''

''Love turned in to a burning ''ring of fire''

Tell me about it...........:Shock:

Was the cinema above the Odeon, the "Carlton"? To become ABC Carlton. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

(Corner of Mount st. & Chapel bar).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Was the cinema above the Odeon, the "Carlton"? To become ABC Carlton. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

(Corner of Mount st. & Chapel bar).

Yes it was......and later after that it changed its name again and became a Cannon cinema.

What do we mean by 'above' the Odeon?   I certainly remember the ABC/Cannon. but in my mind it was just over the road and down a bit from one of the Kardomah's.. and not close to the Odeon..But I have to admit that my memory of Central Nottm fades more every day and isn't helped by all the change..

Hi  Col, if you stood outside the Odeon and looked up Chapel bar towards Derby Road, you would be able to tha ABC Cannon. I would guestimate about 150 yards up on the same side, across mount street. I can remember when I was a bus driver, we used to drive down Derby Road, around Co-op island onto Chapel bar and turn right onto Mount Street at the cinema and go up to Granby Street (that became Maid Marian way eventually),

So, yes, it was just above the Odeon. Cheers mate.

StuartC, nice to hear from you, thank you for your message.

In reply to your query, I started in 1962 as a 19 year old conductor and when I reached 21 went into the driving school. Was a driver from 1964 until 1967. After initial training at Carter Gate (Parliament street), then moved up to Bilbotough depot. Bearing in mind there were thousands on NCT, can't honestly say your mates name rings a bell, (if you'll pardon the pun). Said it many times, they were the best years of my working life.

Love bumping into famous people..........Had short chats with a few,,,,,Fenella Fielding my favourite in the big Coop..........closely followed by Dawn French in Waterstones..Birmingham..not forgetting Georgie Best  in Peterborough.......you little name dropper PP........LOL   oH nearly forgot Judi Dench on Maid Marian way when it was being built in the 60s..nearly knocked her over running to catch a bus...she wern't best pleased...

I love Bernard Cribbins. 
My dad was called Fred so “Right said Fred” was very popular in our house in the 60s. I used to love him in the TV ad for Hornby trains too.

BTW did you know that Gossip Calypso was written by Trevor Peacock? Trevor is probably better known as Jim (no,no,no) Trott in The Vicar of Dibley. He also wrote “Mrs Brown you've got a Lovely Daughter” for Herman’s Hermits. Check out his Wiki entry and you'll see he wrote a lot of stuff in the early 60s before turning to acting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Peacock

Sadly he's now in a nursing home with advanced dementia.

• Like 2

Along came this bloke in a bowler hat'''

Which he lifted and scratched his head''

Next line please......................

Don't dig there
Dig it elsewhere
You're digging it round
And it ought to be square

The shape of it's wrong
It's much too long
And you can't put hole
Where a hole don't belong

• Like 1
4 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Did you go dancing with Fenella ben maybe The Whistle Stop.

Surely no dancing at the Whistle Stop?  As I recall upturned milk churns for seats and just a 'basement boozer'.. though to be fair I never went in in the evening.

Master's uncle kept a pub. When he had to go down the cellar to change a barrel,  being only 18-30ish old, customers , they would put Dave Clark Five (Glad all over) on the jukebox. Then when they all stamped there feet a voice would come up from the cellar, What the B_______ hell are you lot doing, I'm getting cover in dust and muck. When I get back to the bar i'm taking that record off (45mpm) and bunning it.   and I'm banning the lot of you.

• Like 1