I never saw The Supremes in their day but did manage to see Diana Ross at the Arena a few years ago.  What a Diva she is! 
Mary Wilson was a lovely lady and had great talent.  A friend of mine (gay) has seen her perform at Butlins in recent years and been on stage singing with her, even posting a video of it on social media.  Today he is absolutely devastated.  
We seem to be losing so many stars recently, performers who meant so much in my teenage years.   It’s a sign of ageing I suppose.  RIP Mary

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

On the subject of Mark T, he was also a neighbour of ours and we often see him in Arnold at his shop (when it’s open). I can’t see him getting much sympathy from his other half, Brian!

As it happens.. only yesterday (Monday), I was running through the three Motown albums I bought recently on CD... as I described above about 10 days back.

It seems the group many of us know as the Elgins ..with a 'hard' G..are actually supposed to be called the Eljins.. with a soft j.  The name was briefly used by the group that became the Temptations. The Temps were originally called the Primes.. and were friends of Florence Ballard and Mary Wilson, who became a female version of the Primes.. called the Primettes.. and who invited a friend. Diane Ross.. to join them...

But.. I digress..  The Elgins album is fab and contains not only the well known Elgins versions of 'Heaven Must Have Sent You', and 'Put Yourself in My Place', with lead vocal Saundra Mallet.. but later stuff with Yvonne Vernee Allen, who replaced Mallet when she left to raise her children.

Nothing is simple in the Motown Discography.. and if anything proves that.. it is the way that Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's 'The Onion Song' was recorded.  By that time, poor Tammi was dying from a brain tumour and too sick to record.  Although there is some dispute around it... it is generally accepted that Tammi's vocal on The Onion Song was actually performed by Valerie Simpson.. of the songwriting and production duo 'Ashford and Simpson'.  The story says that Valerie Simpson and Marvin Gaye were uneasy about doing this.. but were told that royalties would all go to Tammi's family . so they agreed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashford_%26_Simpson

Ashford and Simpson's record of songwriting, performing and production is phemomenal and even includes their writing of 'Let's Go Get Stoned' a US No.1 for my all time hero Ray Charles.

• Like 1

Depending on my mood i can enjoy all 'Genre'' of music...this morning i'm loving some ''Country and Western'' must be the old Cowboy in me'''

Always on my mind'''                    Willie Nelson

''Maybe i didnt love you...quiet as long as i should have'''

''Tell me that your sweet love'' hasnt died..........

''Where's me Horse''         

Started my day with this lovely song from 'Stevie Wonder''

''I just called to say i love you ''

When the wife moved to Nottingham...we used to have a dance on a saturday night at the Railway club..(1985)......where my family gathered (lots of em) and i had an Uncle who sang this to her on the dance floor.............

• Like 1

From comments re: Leonard Cohen on Youtube:

When I heard that he was going on his “final tour” (ha ha) I got myself to Copenhagen. I even booked into the same hotel as his party. And one morning there he was sharing a coffee with his colleague. I rushed out to the nearest bookshop to get a copy of his latest book. As it happened there was a long line of people waiting to pay for their books (not Cohen’s). I was worried I would miss out on getting him to sign (back at the hotel). I yelled out “Excuse me, I need to get this book back for Leonard Cohen to sign”. Well, the crowd moved aside and applauded. They all loved Cohen. Most were in their 30s. I finally got back and sheepishly approached him. (My partner had already scalded me for invading his privacy). I apologised and introduced myself, explaining I had travelled from Sydney to be at his concert. I asked if he would sign the book for my daughter who was also a fan. THIS IS WHERE THE REAL COHEN SURFACED. He softly asked the name of my daughter. Then he took the book and settled it on the table, smoothing its pages flat. Slowly, he reached into his jacket for his fountain pen. Removing the cap, he looked up with a smile and asked the name of my daughter. He spelt it out to me to make sure. Then he commenced the artwork. He didn’t just write, he drew. The drawing was words but the art was in how he did it. You see, some art is not captured on paper or sculptures, or even performed. It is simply how you live. He gave me a spirit.

Astonishing.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Four Pennies

This reminded me of Fivepenny Piece a folk group in the seventies from Stalybridge and Ashton -Under-Lyme.

Their female lead singer Lynda Meeks was one of those unforgettable voices. Many of their songs were comedic but others told stories of the changes in Lancashire during that era. I have several of their albums on vinyl and this is one of my favorite tracks

Stalybridge Station Fivepenny Piece - YouTube

• Like 1

Wish i knew how i got Polly Brown and Pickettywitch up....anyway start my day with Billy Fury....

''Half way to Paradise'''

''I want to be your Lover''

''But your friend is all i'll stay'''

More Locarno nights...Mens room..shoe shine 6d..splash of Old spice..Collar up....uh uh....crooked lip...wanna dance duck?  No ?   ok maybe later..if ya luck changes !!

• Like 3

More from Billy Fury......

''Wondrous place''

''Found a place full of charms'''

''Magic place in my Baby's arms''

Shades of 'Palais' this time  and the revolving 'bali hai''

Waiting for Doreen to come round...her luck just changed:rolleyes:

Can i take you home Doreen ?   where do you live anyway?

Gedling...i'm with my mate Carnie...but she's dancing with some bloke that talks funny name of Chris......

• Like 1
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

.but she's dancing with some bloke that talks funny name of Chris......

Benj, He still talks funny anawl. No class some people. I've tried to convert him over the years.

He doesn't do a bad 'Gerroff and Gizzit and a great 'Mi Duck'. There's time yet.:biggrin:

• Like 3

You can dance, if you dance with the man who held your hand neath the pale moonlight,, 

But don't forget who's taking you home,and in whose arms you're gonna be,,so darling,,, ####@:;_

6 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Did you take her home ben(Gedling)?

Yes Ian,,taxi to Gedling 3/6,,she lived in the Pit houses,,goodnight kiss at the gate, then 5 mile walk home,,i was skint,,

• Like 2

Hope you had a comfortable pair of winkle pickers for the long walk home.l did a similar thing while at high school not romantic though i spent part of my bus fare at the sweet shop and had to walk from Alfreton to Jacksdale where i had enough change to get home to Nuthall.

• Like 1

Stirred my memory of blue eyed Chistine...who moved in about 3 doors away when i was 15.......played this song by Craig Douglas full blast with my bedroom window open...

''Pretty Blue Eyes''

''Saw you from my window...My Heart skipped a beat'''

Loved Christine....used to wait by the school gates for her at 'Blenheim'' in Bulwell.........she packed me up...tried to get back with Sandra..who said No;;;....so went with Margaret or was it Trina?........lol

This one takes me back as well...again Craig Douglas....

'She was only sixteen'''

''She was too young to fall in love''

''I was too young to know''

love someone to put the video on........;)