• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

Swing and Jitterbug.........first dancing memories ..late 40s Mam and Aunts 'Jitterbugging''     they taught me when i was about 5...all before Rock n Roll.........

As well as the classics..I recall seeing Doris in a film called 'With Six You Get Egg Roll' back in the 60s.  It was Ok but no more.

Doris was frequently at pains to point out in later years that she wasn't exactly the sweet innocent she was always portrayed to be and wanted to be seen as a ore serious artist.  Here's one of my favourites from her recordings.

I also love the Shirelles version.

Lots of the soul bands I saw in the 60s did versions of this song.

• Like 1

More class! If you can.. go 'full screen' on this .. it is fabulous..

I have an abiding memory of one of the older lads on Southglade Road breaking out into 'Only You',, at the time.. I'd be about 6.

The girl singer Zola Taylor was lovely.  Sadly she died of pneumonia in 2009 aged 69. 

She was replaced in the Platters by Barbara Randolph, already an established singer and actress..who went on to join the 'Motown' stable.  Barbara is probably best remembered now for her version of :

'I Got A Feelin'.  She died in South Africa.. from cancer.. aged 60.

These musical 'family trees' are fascinating.

• Like 3

Doris Day one of my all time favourite's 

Song from the flim Doris Day  James Garner

Move over Darling  

I'll Give You a Dasiy a Day 

5 hours ago, DJ360 said:

More class! If you can.. go 'full screen' on this .. it is fabulous..

What a fantastic sound to start my day DJ. The unbeatable sound of 'The Platters' plus a beautiful, elegant lady as well.  I feel a day of 'The Platters' coming up. As you know I have got quite a selection to choose from. Where do I start? I don't think anything will beat your video.:)

• Like 1

Can;t believe hes in his 70s.......great singer..snappy dresser...and knows how to move...could listen to him all day......

• Like 2
1 hour ago, carni said:

As you know I have got quite a selection to choose from.

Getting my Platters and Drifters mixed up. Both fantastic, and a good selection of both. Just been trying to foxtrot around the front room......... not a pretty sight.

• Like 1

Mentioned before......can now play it......my all time fav bit of Jazz

Shades of the Bell........Tuesday nights

Great memories for this song.......1959/60.....school dance club

just Loved 3 Anita's  ....plus reminds me of 1/6 nights at Locarno...Dance competions with number on me back....never won...came second a couple of times........

• Like 1

I love this song too.  Takes me straight back to the Locarno, jiving in the shelter in Woodthorpe Park, also a certain summer holiday at Ingoldmells!

Talking about dance competitions- a couple of years later,  I once came second in a Twist competition in a dancehall in Mansfield.  My partner was someone that Den knew/came across  a few years later ....

• Like 2

Loved all Ricky's songs........forgot about this one till now...for some reson it reminds me of the March Hare'' on Carlton road...saw some good groups in there in the mid 60s...always a good atmosphere.............any one here go there?

• Like 1

We lost two Greats yesterday:

Chris Barber. Age 90  Highly respected for his influence in Trad Jazz, but other fields too. Here's his band's version of Sidney Bechet's classic.  Incidentally, produced by Joe Meek, and with Monty Sunshine on Clarinet.  I think Bechet's version, with Sidney on Soprano Sax.. is much more powerful and raw, but Barber's version is sweet and charming.

Bunny Wailer.  Member of the original Wailers alongside Bob Marley, some years before Marley became huge, but also successful as a solo artist. I played this at the 360.

Thanks to you both for enriching my musical experience.

R.I.P.

• Like 1

Can't have enough of Billy.......great songs.......great dress sense......copied his hairstyle back in the day.........died too young...

If i was 16 i;d have been down Locarno last night for 'Teenbeat'' trying to look like him.......and failing   lol

• Like 1
13 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Here's his band's version of Sidney Bechet's classic.

Amazingly evocative. Instantly conjures up the opening credits for any number of black and white British films and tv series'

If I remember rightly, he is mentioned in the booklet accompanying John Mayalls' "back to the roots album", for helping the likes of Peter Green, Eric Clapton and others to break into America.

Must dig the boxes of vinyl out of the loft - if only to check they haven't warped.

• Like 1