• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

I used to stay at the Dolphin in Cleethorpes every tuesday night..about 1970.....got there this particular night and was told Kenny and his Jazzmen were staying and it was full........

Long story but i finished up in this grotty Caravan freezing  me socks off.........after a good night dancing at a place in Grimsby........i knew how to hit the high spots.....lol

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

It will never be as bad as Goole...  What a ****hole....  :angry:

DJ, I have to add to that. When I was at 'Springhead' xray centre on Cinderhill Road, Boolwul,  we were about to close down and i had been assigned to Wath on Dearne, near Rotherham. I asked my doctor boss where it was. This was his honest reply, I kid you not.

"If you can imagine Rotherham being the arse  of Britain, then Wath on Dearne is the suppository that been shoved up it" !!

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

DJ, I have to add to that. When I was at 'Springhead' xray centre on Cinderhill Road, Boolwul,  we were about to close down

Hi BK,

When were you there?  I only ever went inside the place once. An uncle of mine was a sort of 'live in' caretaker there at one point. I think it would be early 60s at the latest.  We had a family Christmas or New Year party there where we sat down for a meal in a big room. I recall it was freezing in there.  

At one point we kids all wandered into a room where there was an x ray machine, and on a sort of side table there were several huge square shaped magnifying glasses. They were no doubt used for looking closely at x-ray images.  There were several different sizes, but all huge to my young lad's eyes. They were all standing up on their edges and someone popped in and told us very firmly not to touch anything.  And we didn't....but I was absolutely aching to pick up the biggest magnifier and look through it.. at anything..

The only other thing I recall was a loo at the back of the building.  From the partially open window I could see out over woods and fields which were totally alien to me.  Like another world.  But they would no doubt have been the area arond Crabtree, with Snape Wood beyond. I see from Google Maps that the building is still there, but no clue as to who is using it now.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9939636,-1.2017041,96m/data=!3m1!1e3

Morning Col, I was at 'Springhead' from early 1978 to late 1986, when it closed down. I should have been transferred to Eastwood Hall as a chauffeur for Mr. MacGregor, but it was decided that as I was staff status I'd be on more money than the driving pool, so thats when I had to go to W on D. The first time I went there was for an xray in 1958 as part of a medical for entry to the NCB. Between the xray room and the processing room was my domain, a lead lined dark room. The radiographer took the xray then put the cassette into a two way locker, and I was on the other side and retrieved the cassette took the film out, printed details on it then fed it into the processor, which took 4.5minutes. I replaced the cassette with fresh film and placed it back in the locker for next customer.

Interestingly, back in '58 I had my xray, then 20 years later I had another. When filing the film in the archives, I found my original one.

You wouldn't  believe the difference. In my time there, I was responsible for over half million xrays from the various collieries.

The top floor of 'Springhead' was for servants quarters, when it was a residence. From your Google photo, it shows that the film record store has gone. I understand that it was turned into an unmarried mothers accommodation. Not sure about now though.

• Like 1

Think it became a printing company...had some business cards done there about 10 years ago.........

• Like 1

I was 19 and lodging in Coalville at big Maude's.......remember friday nights dancing to this at the ''West end Club''......it was a miners club and at 10 oclock on the dot the fighting started..

I was always under a table with a pint and a girl....great times...

• Like 4
6 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

I was 19 and lodging in Coalville at big Maude's.......remember friday nights dancing to this at the ''West end Club''

Love the jangly guitar intro, it takes me right back to April 1965. I was doing a British Canoe Union? coaching course at the time. The Trent was not particularly warm at that time of year, I much preferred the sessions in the swimming pool.

• Like 1

Oz, I love this song and some of the sentiments expressed in it.  The words are taken from the Bible .... Ecclesiastes 3 verses 1 - 8 which is sometimes quoted at funerals

12 minutes ago, MargieH said:

The words are taken from the Bible .... Ecclesiastes 3 verses 1 - 8 which is sometimes quoted at funerals

Pete Seeger wrote the song and as you say the words they can be found in the King James version of the bible 1611.

Being an atheist and never studying the bible I never knew that but I can relate to the sentiments expressed.

As I often say you never stop learning.

Oz, the words are in the modern translations of the Bible as well!  

As an Atheist, you may like the words in the first chapter of Ecclesiastes verses 1 - 11....

Sorry MargieH, I did not understand or relate to any of that and it is probably better if we close this specific discussion.

You have your views and I respect your right to hold them.

I have mine, they just happen to be different to yours.

As that great Irish comedian Dave Allen said "May your God go with You"

• Upvote 1

My father was an out and out atheist. No time whatsoever for religion, yet he could quote the Bible fluently. This, also from Ecclesiastes (9:11) was one of his favourites:

...the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

After his death, I found this quote on a piece of paper, folded up in his wallet. I still have it. After all, it is simply a truism and we would all do well to remember it!

He was also a great fan of Dave Allen!

• Like 2

OK Oz,  I'll say no more. X

Jill, I like that quote that your father kept.. and, as you say, it is very true.

I saw the BeeGees at the Beachcomber club when they had 'New York Mining Disaster' in the charts.  They were OK but I wasn't knocked out.  I quite liked their 1960s hits... but they were not near the top of my list.  In all honesty I hated their squeaky falsetto stuff from the 70s... but musical taste is a ery personal thing.

I can't comment on them as people, as I didn't know them. 

• Like 1

I like the Bee Gees more than I would ever have expected.

In the 60s they were very experimental, psychedelic and unusual. I have all their early albums on extended CDs and they were way ahead of their time, being Sgt Pepper-ish before that album had been recorded.

And I like their 70s material, even though I'm the last person you would've found in a disco.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, DJ360 said:

In all honesty I hated their squeaky falsetto stuff from the 70s

So did I. I really could not listen to them but weirdly enough Massachusetts, posted above, is one of my all time favourites. Strange isn't it.

All my Locarno friends jived the same way.  It meant you could dance well with any of them which was good.  Do you remember some  boy  jiving with 2 girls at the same time?  That worked as well.

• Like 1

As an addition to my previous post, I should point out that I like almost all of music (classical, rock, pop, etc etc) but I just can't get on with classical singing. The more extreme it is, dragging out notes and warbling endlessly up and down the scale, the worse it sounds.

My parents used to complain about pop music and "you can't understand the words they're singing"  and I always pointed out that in opera you can't even indentify the language they're singing in. 

9 hours ago, Brew said:

Ahhh, proper music...

Hint of irony there Jim? ;)

6 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Fat men and women screaming in a foreign language. Not for me thanks, but good for those that enjoy it

You're entitled to your taste Oz, although I think that 'screaming' is a bit unfair.

For me.. I like those melodies, and Pavarotti isn't necessarily my favourite operatic tenor. I also like Gigli very much. As for Opera.  I couldn't sit through the whole thing, with the 'sung' dialogue.  I just like the tunes for the arias.  Even then, the lyrics can be surprisingly banal when translated.

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

It's nice to know I'm not the only person who has that opinion of opera.

As above Kev.  For what it's worth I can't stand those girly pop singers like Mariah Carey et al when they get into warbling, though I could listen to someone like Sarah Vaughan all day.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

For what it's worth I can't stand those girly pop singers like Mariah Carey et al when they get into warbling, 

Totally agree. For me one of the worst recordings ever in the whole world is Whitney Houston ruining 'I will always love you'. 

• Like 2

No irony at all Col. I enjoy hearing him sing but best, in my opinion, was Domingo in his young days. Callas, though not technically the best soprano, really was something special. Netrebko is top of the current crop.

My car has a 10Gb hard drive, virtually all classical music.

Like you sitting through a full opera can be boring and I suspect most people are waiting for the 'good bits'.

Can't disagree with that Jim,  I too like Domingo.  I'm also very fond of an album of Italian songs sung by Gigli, whose style was often more introspective and less histrionic.  Pavarotti was I believe classed as a 'Spinto', but my knowledge of subdivisions of Tenor is limited to say the least.

As for classical in general.  I'm not much impressed by the likes of Wagner, but I'm very fond of most of Dvorak's stuff, Elgar and Vaughan Williams too.  I love Mozart Clarinet Concerti.. and similar stuff by Crusell and Weber. Also Mozart Piano Concerti.. especially 23.

Lots more stuff too.

As someone noted elsewhere.... 'So much music..so little time...'

I do like Elgar. Some years ago I was able to fulfill my ambition of driving through Elgar country, the Malvern Hills, in my Morgan, listening to his music on cd. A magical experience. I’m not normally a sentimentalist but there’s something very ‘English’ about the music of Elgar. We played Nimrod at my Mother’s cremation. No service, just the music.

• Like 1