• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

What are your three most bestest favourite ever popsongs?  I mean songs which made the charts?

I think my top one has to be this by the Ronettes. Most would go for 'Be My Baby'.. but I reckon 'Baby I Love You' is just the pop of our era 'in one'.

Next up for me is Bob Dylan's 'Like A Rolling Stone'.. often voted the greatest rock song of all time.

There has to be a Beatle song in there..

What are your three?

• Like 1

One for Enigma.

7 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I stand corrected Oz.

Arlo is best known for his versions of City of New Orleans but as one of the best railway/train songs ever i felt it needed attributing to its writer. As you said, Arlo and his father both wrote some classics including this one.

• Like 1

My three (on this day and at this time * ) would have to be:

Concrete and Clay.    Unit 4 +2

Unchained Melody.  Righteous Bros.

Earth Angel.  The Penguins

* My three bestest are going to change according to all kinds of variables and moods. These 3 are likely to be in my 20 most favourite songs/tunes but there are so many others that are great and important to me for all kinds of reasons. 

• Like 4

Just love a woman in a ''Black Dress''.......in a Bar with a drink and a smoke.......Shades of the 'Grumbleweeds''' chatting my Mrs up at the 'commadore'' 85 ish.......lol

• Like 2
13 hours ago, siddha said:

* My three bestest are going to change according to all kinds of variables and moods.

Yep.  Same here.

Used to buy alot of instrumentals....this was one for doing the 'Cha Cha'.........found a place in Leicester called the 'Beehive'' (63 ish)great club for dancing..........

Enigma, Jim Croce was a great songwriter.  Mrs Col is a big lover of his stuff.

In similar vein to Time in a Bottle.. here are two by Beth Neilsen Chapman.

For context.. Beth is singing about her husband.. who died of cancer.

Staggeringly perceptive lyrics...

OK.. make it three..

The late Kate Wolf.

Green Eyes

Just found the orginal Transatlantic Sessions on Youtube.  You will not find better music anywhere.

More than three hours of Emmylou, Iris de Ment, Aly Bain, Mary Black and many others..

Fill yer boots.

5 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Just found the orginal Transatlantic Sessions on Youtube

Thanks for that, DJ. I was surprised that the BBC had taken them off the Archive section of the I player. some of the best musicians in their field I have ever listened to. Some of the backdrop film of the Highlands and Island were a perfect setting for the sessions. Licence money well spent

Oz.. I and many others are still mystified as to how the progs were never released in the form of albums, or DVD.  I'm assuming some sort of contractual/licensing complications. There is a series of albums but they don't feature the World class musicians seen here.

Re: Mary Black.  Many years ago I saw her brother Shay playing in St Helens..without even knowing of Mary.  More recently, a good friend who is second generation Irish and a noted musician, told me how he was in a pub in Dublin with Mary, Shay and others. Also in their company was an American girl.  My friend enquired of her ."Do you play at all?"  She replied. "I sing a little". My friend had failed to recognise Linda Ronstadt!

5 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Also in their company was an American girl.  My friend enquired of her ."Do you play at all?"  She replied. "I sing a little". My friend had failed to recognise Linda Ronstadt!

Great story about someone not recognising Linda R!...probably the greatest female singer in the past 60 years. Very sad that illness curtailed her career.

• Like 1
On 4/9/2021 at 6:14 PM, IAN FINN said:

Great songs siddha plus THE WAY YOU LOOK TONIGHT.    TONY BENNETT.

Agreed !! Funny as its one of my warm up tunes when I can be bothered to practice...............

Giddy glup gloopy nibby nobby la la la lo lo Sabba Sibby Sabba...

Can;t say fairer than that can ya.....lol

• Like 1
On 1/30/2021 at 6:26 PM, Brew said:

Hated the Billy Cotton show... who followed him, Jimmy Clitheroe or Archie Andrews ? I can't remeber but I know I was glad when BC finished.

Steady on there, Brew! BC was a legend and the man that kick started 'Rock 'n Roll'. Elvis adored him and his Sunday radio show. Billy Cotton...Rita Williams and the Bandits....Alan Breeze...where are they now? They kicked down doors so that Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Tiny Tim etc could march through and into our lives!