On my last visit to the UK I really struggled as many of the landmarks, the colliery headstocks, had gone and many new roads had been built. The landscapes that now look like rolling green hills used to be slag heaps and lakes that people now fish in used to be washery ponds. Sad about the jobs that have gone in the mines and allied industries but the environment is certainly better. Gone is the taste and smell of the coal smoke that hung over the villages. As they used to say on a clear day you could see the smog.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

They have a similar saying up here in the Grand Duchy..

'If you can see the Welsh mountains it's going to rain.

If you can't see the Welsh mountains.. it is raining....'

• Like 1

Had the second 'Jab' yesterday.......its had a brilliant side affect...not felt this good for a long time.......Coffee with Syd and Babs in the sunshine..........been for short bike ride.....feel like 'Dancing''.....old Rick was pretty good.........

Old Rick was raised in Newton Le Willows.. which is a Ward of St Helens Borough.  When he was first famous.. I was spending much of my working week in Newton Le Willows College.. and there was a constant 'buzz' about Rick at the time. It was also rumoured that his girlfriend of the time came from Billinge.. also a part of St Helens Borough.. so Rick is almost a mate... ;)

• Like 1

Young Benjamin - hope your daily fix of GC includes "These Days & "A Better Place"......I think they both epitomise the feelings of one or two of us here on Nottstagia. Does a good version of Green Day's "Good Riddance(Time of Your Life)"

• Like 1

Here's an interesting 14 minutes detailing a good few UK hits from the 60s which were covers.

• Like 2

And here's another mega compilation of UK No.2 Chart Hits....

It's Two Way Family Favourites  all over again.  I can smell the Sunday Dinners...

• Like 2

Please no more of that annoying Aussie who not only talks at 100mph but he does so over the interesting bits!     :mellow:

• Like 1

Yep.. I wasn't too sure whether to post it. but...

..and even an old obsessive like me didn't know that Gerry Goffin impregnated Earl Jean while he was still married to Carole King.  A very naughty boy indeed.

..and of course you don't have to listen to it.:rolleyes: 

I know but I'm too nosy and afraid of missing summat!!...  like some TV or films you just hope it gets better...

• Like 1

Yep. Same here.. put it down to experience...

Today in the garden..apart from crippling myself by overdoing the mowing and lawn raking.. It was mostly a Motown day.  Somehow Jim.. I can't see you as a Motown sort of a chap...

Dig!!

• Like 1

Yeah not really, we had a neighbour at the time who was obsessed with it.... drove me crackers.

Like you I've rather over done it today. Sister wanted a new socket and it involved working on the cons unit in a tiny space under her stairs.

I had to have a nap after, absolutely jiggered...and I know I'm going to pay for it tomorrow.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

And here's another mega compilation of UK No.2 Chart Hits....

Great Post DJ360 a real trip down memory lane to the best era of music. I could have sworn that some of those certainly went to No1. Like Please Please Me, My Generation, God Only Knows, Penny Lane, Magical Mystery Tour and probably one of the most evocative songs of the time Waterloo Sunset

Then again some didn't even deserve to be in the charts and were absolute rubbish.

This has been posted on here before but well worth another look, mixed memories.

• Like 1

@ Brew.  It's come over me very quickly..  A year ago I thought I was pretty fit for 70+. I was walking miles, swimming and weight training. Now I can barely walk more than half a mile and everything hurts.

I suppose it gets us all...

"I thought my Mother was a bad cook.. but at least her gravy used to move about"

Classic!!

6 hours ago, DJ360 said:

"I thought my Mother was a bad cook.. but at least her gravy used to move about"

Hancock at his best.

Had a friend who gave you a choice with her gravy and custard. Lumps or slices.

• Like 1

I drove to my Daughter's on Saturday evening.. to do a bit of DIY for her.  Much as I love Sarah Vaughan's 1954 eponymous album.. It had been on repeat in the car for a while...

So.. at one of the many sets of lights on the A580 'East Lancs Road'.. I rummaged in my discs.. as you do.. and came up with 'Penguin Eggs' by Nic Jones.  A classic 1980s Folk album. Sadly Nic was prevented from fulfilling his potential after a serious road accident.. but if he only ever did this album.. he made his mark. Terrific guitar work. and then that strong voice..

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I drove to my Daughter's on Saturday evening.. to do a bit of DIY for her.  Much as I love Sarah Vaughan's 1954 eponymous album.. It had been on repeat in the car for a while...

So.. at one of the many sets of lights on the A580 'East Lancs Road'.. I rummaged in my discs.. as you do.. and came up with 'Penguin Eggs' by Nic Jones.  A classic 1980s Folk album. Sadly Nic was prevented from fulfilling his potential after a serious road accident.. but if he only ever did this album.. he made his mark. Terrific guitar work. and then that strong voice..

Now listening to :Anderson East Performing "If you keep leaving me"