• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

15 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

A coincidence you should play that.

Recently I've wandering around YouTube listening to The Seekers who I used to think were the ultimate in uncool. I've now changed my opinion, and realised that Judith Durham had a superb voice.

I agree her voice is sublime. Georgy Girl is one of my favourites too. The film has some great shots of London in the Swinging 60s.

My other favourite female singers include Karen Carpenter, Cass Elliot, Dusty Springfield, Sandie Shaw and dear old Cilla.

• Like 1

Beautiful sound of the ''Spinners''............imagine someone like them on 'Eurovision''..........the rest of the rubbish wouldnt stand a chance............

• Like 1

Don't get me started on Eurovision... It went downhill after Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson came second in 1957...

Anyway.. what I'm listening to as I type is Joni Mitchell's beautiful album 'Ladies of the Canyon'.. but I've posted a fair bit of Joni lately.. so.. earlier I was listenng to Iris De Ment's lovely album....

'Infamous Angel'.  I love her 'primitive' singing style...which just proves to me that it is the human imperfections in music which give it its real value.  Also. I reckon anybody can relate to her feelings about Home..wherever it might be..

Let it run...

Earlier. I was listening to the 50th Anniversary Re-Issue of Crosby Stills Nash and Young's 'Deja Vu' .  For a price, you get a re-press of the original vinyl, a CD of same, three more CDs of previously unissued stuff.. out takes etc.  It's gorgeous.  On radio the other day I heard the recording of Joni Mitchell singing 'Our House' with Graham Nash.... when they were together. Never intended for release..and imperfect..but beautiful..  I haven't played that CD yet.. I'm saving it for when I need a special moment...

I can see why Graham Nash still..to this day.. talks constantly of 'when I was with Joni'.  Poor lad...

Let this one run too.  Even if you don't 'dig' the sentiments..you will never hear better harmonies..

• Like 1

and the most expensive cover to Manufacture, all hand done, regarding pic's, plus gold leaf, I have this..an only American release?

I'm sure a read that Physical Graffiti was the most expensive to produce, obviously..much later..

The first CS&N was the one with the blotting paper cover, as you previously stated first Joni, is Textured.

15 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Beautiful sound of the ''Spinners''.

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK.

The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in this video. I really hope to see some of them again on one last trip to the UK. 

Stuff this bloody Covid, it is taking away time to do things before I get too old to do them.

• Like 7

Not heard that for ages, Oz! I, too, have stood on the edge of the Downfall, and seen all the valley outspread (and the water blowing upwards!). 

My first experience of mountains was going on a camping trip and persuading the driver of our van to stop at the top of the Llanberis pass. It was pitch black, couldn’t see a thing, but I could feel the mountains and smell them. Never forgot that feeling.

The beckoning silence of great heights”

• Like 4

Oz  that  brought back memories, spent many days in the peak district and  Kinder also stood on the down fall , seen it all froze up and the hare as well. If I could only do it now but songs like that revive the memories of happy times.

• Like 3

Oz we could have a Notstalgian ascent of Kinder open to those who would like to meet up and do a walk(ramble).

Hows about up Jaggers Clough ?

• Like 1

Ben, Affer, Trogg and Siddha, I'd be in that, might be a bit slower than last time getting up there. I just wish these brain dead anti-vaxer numpties would get themselves vaccinated so we could all get on with life.

Remember walking around Snowdon singing Men of Harlech to these words...

March up Snowdon 

With your woad on

Don't give f*ck

If you get rained or snowed on.

No one posted for a couple of hours.......so thought we'd have a bit of Peter Sarstedt.......

So just sip your ''Napoleon Brandy''......''while your alone in your bed''

• Like 5

I'll slip a couple in here then, while no one's looking. Going from from the high life of Paris and the Sorbonne to the village green and the mountains.

When the singer feels it, the audience feels it. For sure this audience of one does.

• Like 1

For some reason,, despite normal ''aches and pains''  i feel really good this morning....

Hope you do too.....bit of nice cheerful music never does any harm does it..............

• Like 2

Great voice of Paul Jones..........

''Or else you gotta stay all night.''........

''IT'LL be too dark for you to find the door''

• Like 1

On the Garden with my Coffee at daybreak...........lovely scene and feel fine........life is good.....have a beautiful day..........

• Like 4

best bit of the day, mate.

Cracking day yesterday at Sutton-on-Sea. Bacon and sausage breakfast at Woodthorpe Hall, few hours on the beach watching the youngest do back flips and air curls from a standing start(?!) - and me groaning when I get out if the chair!

Trip down slowed up as I drove slap into the middle of the Police operation to catch Daniel Boulton. Crawled past armed police and much activity. Detour through Louth (mostly on the pavement) gave me time to appreciate what a lovely place it is.

Fish and chips from Waldos and sitting on the prom on top of the world.

Drove back through golden light across the Wolds; why the heck would you be anywhere else?

• Like 1

Tony Blackburn radio 2 Sounds of the 60's.  I'm more of a 70's boy though TBH (born late '56) so this is a bit before me but still great.  Love the show and dance around the kitchen with an old friend (in my mind) Victoria who's now sadly passed every Saturday morning to it.  I loved her very dearly and so we always have a great jig and a laugh! 

• Like 1

Talking about Slim Whitman on another thread got me thinking about Frank Ifield..who liked to do a few Whitman songs.  Frank was one of my Mum's faves..as also was Charley Pride.

And a Slim Whitman song:

And Slim's own version:

And finally.. a bit of Mum's other favourite:

..with what sounds very much like the 'slip note' piano style of Floyd Cramer.. in the backing..

Willie and Julio great pair..........

To all the girls...who've share'd my life......

Glad they came along my way.........

The winds of change are always blowing.........

• Like 1

What a night......

What a Lady....

What a Year........i was 18 and loving every day of my life........in 63....the Travel......the music....and of course the Girls......

• Like 1

Great memories of this song.........Bodega.. sunday nights about 63/64.....Not really a dance venue back then...however Sunday nights had only a few customers.......and with the right Barman we pushed a few tables back and with right music on the Juke Box plus the right Girls from Carlton...(Trina and Maggie) me and my mate Keith (Columbo) we were in heaven........just loved the old 'Bodega''

• Like 3