On 10/10/2021 at 12:58 AM, DJ360 said:

I'm not sure.. but Blues musicians recognise the effect..as did Neil Diamond in his 'Song Sung Blue'.

I suppose that 'getting all of your emotions out there.' has a cathartic effect of some sort.

Or as Hans Christian Andersen would say-

When words fail, music speaks.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

First 'Beatles'' record i bought..........

5 or 6 of us driving down to Peterborough about 63'' to convert a ''Farrands'' shop to self service    Crammed in a Bedford 15cwt van no seats in the back....luckily i was the driver,,,,,,,,,All had 'Beatle haircuts'' and Beatle overcoats (no collars.. remember them?).........Remember singing ''Please..Please me'' whilst driving along the A1........

Was down there about 3 weeks and found a couple of Pubs that had groups playing.......once the language barrier was overcome...enjoyed the place....hard work getting dates.....all the girls only seemed to go out only with their boyfriends.........was defo an old fashioned place compared to Nottingham.....but we managed in the end....lol......

• Like 1

Never tire of listening or watching Pickettywitch''  or more to the point ''Polly Brown''...........:rolleyes:

Driving back from Town had this 'beautiful' song on ''Smooth'' by the ''Beautiful south''......lovely words...even mentioned my ''Pencil case''...........Alison stood me up in Chesterfield....after driving all the way up there.....before the M1 as well  !!!

I used to think of nostalgia as a ‘sweet sadness about times past’ but recently when I listen to the songs of my youth, I just feel sad that those days have gone forever for me.  I am very happy with my life now but the nostalgia sometimes makes me feel deeply sad. I wish I could meet with more of my friends from 60 years ago…..

• Like 3
On 10/29/2021 at 6:58 PM, MargieH said:

I am very happy with my life now but the nostalgia sometimes makes me feel deeply sad. I wish I could meet with more of my friends from 60 years ago…..

Same here Margie.  I'm fortunate to have some friends from over 60 years ago that I'm still in contact with.. but many more have 'disappeared'.  I don't miss the music, because I have most of what's important to me in my collection, and the rest can be found on Youtube etc.  What I miss is that feeling of youth..the constant new experiences, the places we went and the times we had...

Last time we got into this topic of ageing and nostalgia, I think I put up Joni Mitchell's 'The Circle Game'.  So this time.. the much missed Sandy Denny's 'Who Knows Where The Time Goes?'.

And  Bob Dylan's wonderful 'Forever Young'..written for his son.. Fabulous lyrics, and yes, ole Bob can sing.. in his own way.

"Forever Young"

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth
And see the light surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong

May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
And may your song always be sung
  • Like 1

Thanks for those 2 Col.  I, too,  keep in contact with 3 of my old friends but there are so many more I’d love to meet again.

• Like 2

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s and football mates from the 60s and 70s........

The only downside to this is when in conversation names of those 'no longer with us always crop us......making me sad........

Even the odd times i drive past or thru Old Bestwood i cant dwell on my memories ...this makes me really down.....some roads i new nearly everyone and they are all gone.....

In the last few weeks ive had coffee and a chat with several old friends....and its been a delight to reminise (sp) with them....remembering days of laughter....football....Youth club dancing.......schooldays.......to say nowt of trips to Skeggy...Locarno and the Palais.......eeh here i go again.......l\ol

• Like 8

On the same subject............like the corners of my mind''

It was all so simple then'''' so painful to remember'''

I still meet up on a Monday night with a couple of flying club friends I first knew in the 70's and I'm still in touch with three friends from Mellish but they're too far away to regularly visit - Ayrshire, the Wirral and Hampshire. I seem to be the only one who's remained in Notts. Sixty years in this village and I'm still not the oldest inhabitant!

15 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends

That's what I miss Ben.  It didn't bother me so much when I was younger.... but as we age.. we seem to need to return to our roots, and the friendships that gave them meaning.

I haven't been to Nottm since Covid started...close on two years ago.  Today, around lunchtime, I almost decided to set off down to Nottm to see my brother and his wife, have an evening losing money at the Gala Bingo, and come back the next morning.  The only thing which stopped me was that there woould be no cars on the drive..and almost all neighbours are away too.  Maybe next weekend.

Eitherway.. on the subject of lost friends/youth:

"Bob Dylan's Dream"

While riding on a train goin' west
I fell asleep for to take my rest
I dreamed a dream that made me sad
Concerning myself and the first few friends I had

With half-damp eyes I stared to the room
Where my friends and I spent many an afternoon
Where we together weathered many a storm
Laughin' and singin' till the early hours of the morn

By the old wooden stove where our hats was hung
Our words were told, our songs were sung
Where we longed for nothin' and were quite satisfied
Talkin' and a-jokin' about the world outside

With haunted hearts through the heat and cold
We never thought we could ever get very old
We thought we could sit forever in fun
But our chances really was a million to one

As easy it was to tell black from white
It was all that easy to tell wrong from right
And our choices they were few and the thought never hit
That the one road we traveled would ever shatter and split

How many a year has passed and gone
And many a gamble has been lost and won
And many a road taken by many a first friend
And each one I've never seen again

I wish, I wish, I wish in vain
That we could sit simply in that room again
Ten thousand dollars at the drop of a hat
I'd give it all gladly if our lives could be like that.
  • Like 3

Marmalade 1960s

Robertsons golden shred 1/6

Robertsons Silver Shred 1/6 

But my favourite was Roses Lime 1/11

Only at Marsdens Quality stores......