• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Just remember an LP  from years ago, it was not mine but belong to my brother. I was young and record players had just come out. Unknown to my brother i went  into the front room so i could play his records. Now the LP I  am on about is by Stan Freberg i think its call A  Child's Garden of Fregerg  any why looked on amazon for a CD copy. no luck so sent brother text and guess what he still as the  LP so with a  bit of luck might get copy. you can look at this u'mmm music on u-tube.

4 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Amazing that Telstar is now 60 years old. It hasn't aged as badly as a lot of other material from those days.

The first single I bought. 

• Like 1

I think Telstar was the first UK single to top the US charts.

I also remember Heinz Burt the bass guitarist from the Tornadoes singing Just Like Eddie, a tribute song to Eddie Cochran who died a day later from injuries received in a car crash on 16 April 1960. 62 years ago

• Like 1

It was an era of guitar based instrumentals both here and in the US.

A couple of my faves:

And this...

From the sound of the record, I thought these guys were cool rockin' 'Surfer Dudes'..until I saw this....  Oh the shame......

Night..... ;)

last two Saturday nights have watched county music on channe 5 first it was the county ladies then the gents. Use to follow county music but what was just amazing there were ne or two singers that i had never heard of.  Next to watch "Freddie Mercury"  and "Queen"

21 hours ago, DJ360 said:

It was an era of guitar based instrumentals both here and in the US.

DJ360 Great Choices! Any more?

Saturday Night at the Duckpond by the Cougars - I thought I've never heard that! As soon as it started of course I had, just didn't know it was called that. Then I remembered the Shadows version and I am sure that I have heard a vocal version somewhere. It also triggers memories of the Morecambe and Wise sketch Swan Lake from the Intelligence Men

Walk Don't Run by the Ventures - Was this the start of the surf music genre?

Red River Rock by Johnnie and the Hurricanes - From the first chord I am back at the Goosefair in the 60s on the waltzer or whiplash listening to this belting out from the speakers above the sound of the generators along with Rockin' Goose.

Pipeline by the Chantays is probably the definitive piece of surf music.

• Like 2

Oz, Red River Rock also takes me straight back to the Walzers at Goosefair!  I wonder how many Nottstalgians actually saw one another at Goosefair never knowing that they would end up sending messages over 60 years later!!

• Like 3

There,s not must music that I don't like some's better than other, but I remember when my son lived at home he was always going around singing (not that he could sing that well) one morning he was singing about (I got out of bed in my usually  lively way ) I ask wnat are you on about Paul? ahh!! mum have you not heard of Tear's for Fear's you should listen to the word's not just the sound. Dare I say it he was right. Typical Male. so a new voice on the block (allthough not so new) Jake Bugg just listen to the words of his songs. 

On 4/25/2022 at 6:25 AM, mary1947 said:

Use to follow county music but what was just amazing there were ne or two singers that i had never heard of. 

I followed country music too, mary1947. Still do. It was while trying to entertain myself during lock-down that I discovered Australia has a thriving country scene with some excellent artists. Top of my current favourites list is 'The French family band'. They moved from Australia to Nashville a couple of years ago.

Here is a video of the young Sonny French singing my favourite rhythmic sub-genre 'Bakersfield sound'. It's a Buck Owens number.

The lad plays a mean guitar anorl.

Good accordionist too, makes it a bit Acadian perhaps?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

DJ360 Great Choices! Any more?

Saturday Night at the Duckpond by the Cougars - I thought I've never heard that! As soon as it started of course I had, just didn't know it was called that. Then I remembered the Shadows version and I am sure that I have heard a vocal version somewhere. It also triggers memories of the Morecambe and Wise sketch Swan Lake from the Intelligence Men

Walk Don't Run by the Ventures - Was this the start of the surf music genre?

Red River Rock by Johnnie and the Hurricanes - From the first chord I am back at the Goosefair in the 60s on the waltzer or whiplash listening to this belting out from the speakers above the sound of the generators along with Rockin' Goose.

Pipeline by the Chantays is probably the definitive piece of surf music.

Oz, thanks for your kind comments. 

Although I only really heard of him in  the last few years, I think Dick Dale is generally held to be the Pioneer of Surf Music. I'm pretty sure you'd recognise his 'Misirlou'. I'll try to post it later but at present am in a waiting room at the hospital Eye clinic with a very shaky connection.

Ahh. Maybe. 

Country music is dead now, loads of kids with a twang, hopeless lyrics, poor guitar playing, rap crap now days. Miss Cash, Waylon and the rest.

Nashville killed C&W. My local radio station claims to be country, but the cows over in the filed opposite make better noises.

Loads of the older C&W singers moved to the "Bakersfield" sound.

Some greats on Youtube, love....

7 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I'll try to post it later but at present am in a waiting room at the hospital Eye clinic with a very shaky connection.

NOW what have you done?

• Like 1

Here's a few of the greatest  guitarists singing in honour of Roy Orbison, late the remainder played in honour of George Harrison after he passed on, I wasn't aware Tom Petty had passed on, great singers, guitarists and song writers..

• Like 2
16 hours ago, MargieH said:

I wonder how many Nottstalgians actually saw one another at Goosefair never knowing that they would end up sending messages over 60 years later!!

Yes MargieH, probably a lot like ships passing in the "lights". For me the Goose Fair was more about the sights, sounds and smells than the rides and sideshows. The lights on the rides, imagine what they are like now with computer controlled LEDs. The sound of the speakers thumping out the rock n roll especially Johnnie and the Hurricanes. The screams of the riders as the rides went faster. The sounds and smell of the hot oil from the generators and the smells of the food. Fried onions, brandy snaps, candy floss and hamburgers and hot dogs.

• Like 3

Oztalgion you have captured the essence of old Goose Fair exactly. All about the smells, the taste and the music. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Dick Dale is generally held to be the Pioneer of Surf Music. I'm pretty sure you'd recognise his 'Misirlou'.

DJ360, I have never heard that piece or of Dick Dale before. To me it sounded a bit dischordant and had undertones of Spanish flamenco, more of a mixed style than what I would call surf.

Oz, he seems to have only released a few tunes here, from about '63 on.. but never charted.  Still, he is held up as the 'master' in the USA.

Here's another of his:

Meanwhile, there were other 'surfer' bands, a bit better known in the UK, I'll leave the Beach Boys out as they're a bit obvious.

And the earliest reference I know to Skateboarding:

Cool Dudes Eh?