22 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Still, he is held up as the 'master' in the USA.

Sorry DJ, Dick Dale just doesn't do it at all for me. Still sounds like a mish-mash of styles when compared to the "purer" surf sound of the Jan and Dean and Surfaris examples that have become classics.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

Well yep..  Not enough of a fan here to buy Dick Dale's stuff.  Just interesting music history.

But since we're on the 'lectric geetarrr' ,maybe time for a little homage to the real pioneers.. Les Paul and Mary Ford:

• Like 2

‘Dream lover’ and ‘There’ll never be anyone else’ made me very emotional.  They took me back to a big group of silly teenagers lounging about, flirting and dancing to a portable record player in Woodthorpe park on summer evenings.   

• Like 1

I loved the clips of Les Paul and Mary Ford. They reminded me of Flatt and Scruggs hill billy music which i came to love visiting Kentucky.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Flatt and Scruggs

nonnaB, I like Blue Grass music too I think it is the banjo and fiddle that hooks me, their best known song would have to be Foggy Mountain Breakdown. They also wrote the theme for Beverly Hillbillies

• Like 1

There's some great Blue Grass "Jams" on Youtube with some of the greatest names in C&W including Steve Martin, who'd have thought Steve started his career in show business as a Banjo player for Glenn Cambell, and boy can he pick a banjo!!

• Like 2

I got heavily into Australian folk and C&W when I lived there, Wallis and Matilda, etc.

When I lived in Bathurst, NSW, the University had it's own low power FM stereo radio station run by the students. On Sunday for there was one show called Blue Grass and more, some great old real Country and Music records, some dating back to the 1920's!!  Plus Cajun Music!! NOW THERE"S some real foot stomping music from Louisiana!!

Although I don't understand French, I love Cajun music. I have several CD's with the best Cajun music there is, even modern Cayjun is good foot stomping music!

• Like 1
On 4/27/2022 at 9:51 PM, Ayupmeducks said:

I got heavily into Australian folk and C&W when I lived there

You don't have much choice out in the boonies as most regional radio station play lists are heavily weighted towards that genre. Can't put a name to any Cajun music, could you give me some examples please. I do however love the food, gumbo, jambalaya, boudin and crawfish come immediately to mind.

I too am no expert on Cajun, but I picked up a copy of 'Aly Bain meets the Cajuns' some years ago. It features a number of Cajun bands. Worth seeking out.

Those were the days......Paul Jones terrific voice...hard to believe he's 80 now.......then again many of us on here aren't far behind...but we had the best music...knew how to dress...and had so many places to go........

But if you gotta go...Go now.......

Or else you gotta stay all night........

• Upvote 1

I don't think you could call Bathurst as out in the "boonies", I used to listen to the Sydney AM stations when I lived there, but on Sunday afternoon is was nice to hear what the students enjoyed on the University radio station. They had some taste.

Here's some Cajun for you.....

And here's the Balfa Brothers with traditional Cajun music.

Cajun has evolved from traditional Balfor Brothers style to Zydeco.

Noticed on that Manfred Mann clip of If You Gotta go that they faded out “stay all night” each time?
I can remember my Dad wasn’t impressed with the Stones Lets Spend The Night Together when I first got the record.

• Upvote 1

I wondered if anyone would notice that Staverton Girl.........different world back then...........

Wife back today from her 4 day jaunt in Liverpool........first time she'd been and 'Loved it''..........i've worked a lot in Liverpool and must admit i love the place and its people.......

Too many great artists to mention but i have to.......apart from the Fab 'Gerry and the Pacemakers'....and the 'Beatles'  there was 'Billy Fury'' and Cilla Black'' plus many more......

Just something very special about the place...and its History......

Edit......Play on full screen for best result..........

• Like 1

The other week we had a fabulous couple of nights in Liverpool. It was the first time I’ve spent more than a rushed overnight visit but we’ve already decided we need to go back soon, there’s so much to see and do there, we loved it.  Glad she’s enjoyed her trip Ben, it gave your a break too! 

• Like 2

Very different world back then, my dad banned me from watching TOTP cos he said it was a bad influence.

I used to watch Oh Boy in the fifties on tv at my grandads, the Lord Rockinghams Eleven and Cherry Wainer, Billy Fury and Adam Faith my grandad would say while they were singing they had toothache loved those shows.

The Thrasonic   Great Rock music