• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

A week or so back I was at friends and they played this:

Despite my undying teen lust after the gorgeous Michelle Phillips.. I pointed out to my friends that the original hit was recorded by the fabulous Shirelles around1960:

However... I was wrong (DJ 360 wrong? Surely not!!!) Surely yes.. So here it is.. the original..

Credit where it's due I say..:)

• Like 2
On 10/28/2022 at 2:25 PM, radfordred said:

Not a patch on the original, but love the dance moves     

I've misjudged you Red!!

Not a bad rendition and yes, the dance moves are fab and groovy, but

they don't trump the Impressions:

One of my favourite 'non Motown' bands, whose history goes back to at least 1958,with this:

Jerry Butler went on to have his own solo career..recording this well before the Walker Bros.

And this brilliant recording with Betty Everett in 1964:

Meanwhile the Impressions had hits such as:

And:

I useter play the Impressions a lot dahn the360... obviously..because I was cool.... :laugh:

Always loved London........first went when i was 5 with my Grandparents for the day.......was always prepared to work there both in Retail and Security.......even had an office in Tooting for a time.......wife just bid me Tat ta for a few days down there...........so its Micro-wave...chip shop...and Breakfast in Bulwell for a time........:ohmy:.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you find it hard to exercise then i dare you to watch these two video's on You-Tube if these don't get you off the sofa well nothing will.

1st one    Hillbilly Girl Lisa Mchugh   it starts in a small town centre but when Lisa starts singing every one joins in I DARE YOU TAKE A LOOK.  

2nd DVD/video    Now if you have rubber legs this is the one for you, Even when he goes to the loo.

Dire Straits    WALK OF LIFE 

never ever have you seen legs like this man has got.

Not listening, but watching an old French movie short which brought back memories of my childhood,  the film Ballon Rouge,  or rather The Red Balloon , lovely views of France in the old days too.

I remember the Red Balloon flim  Did the balloon just keep going and going.

• Upvote 1

I’ve just watched the film again… it’s quite surreal isn’t it!

I started thinking about the song - 99 red balloons from the 80s

• Like 1
9 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Did Johnny Dankworth and Cleo Laine do a gig together way back?

Yes often.  We’ve seen them perform at The Stables in Wavendon, Milton Keynes, which was their home.  A good friend of ours hired The Stables for his 50th Birthday party, 20+ years ago, and we were entertained by The Bootleg Beatles, a brilliant night.  It was a great venue but not sure if it’s still open.  

I haven't seentheRed Balloon since probably the 50s or 60s. Didn't it end with the little boy floating away on a big collection of balloons?

• Like 1

There's a song being played in TV ads for 'Meta', which I don't think I've heard before, but do like.

A little research revealed that it was this one by Ivory Joe Hunter.

Previous to this the only song I knew by Ivory Joe was this.. probably his best known song in the UK.  released 1956 and a big hit in the US, but I don't think it charted here and an original 7" copy is worth several hundred pounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_Joe_Hunter

Enjoy!

Been listening to another of the compilations that Picko does, mostly on music we played back in the day at the 360 etc. A nice little sequence of songs by Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels.

Mitch and the Wheels were an improbable bunch.  All white and playing in Detroit, the home of Motown and at the time when Motown was conquering charts the World over. To add insult to injury, they did a sort of mostly high energy 'blue eyed soul', with many of their songs being 'lifted' from the black R&B tradition. Yet they had a few notable hits, and are still much loved by the 'Northern' crowd.

Their career was pretty short, and Mitch himself faded, largely due to rotten management I think, because he could sing. He continues to tour I believe.:

Dig!

• Like 2

Old Ricky Nelson...big favourite of mine in the early to mid 60s..........always think of the pubs on Carlton road/hill from juke boxes to live bands......White hart juke box .......March Hare live bands.......Topless barmaids...name of pub ive forgot......Toby jug and then down to the Earl of Chesterfield and Duke of Windsor or Windsor castle...great nights lots of memories of all kinds.........39 trolley bus ??

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

.....March Hare live bands.......Topless barmaids...name of pub ive forgot......

I went in the March Hare a few times when I worked nearby for a couple of years.

Was the topless pub the Clinton Arms on Shakespeare Street ?

• Like 2

No Kev...this was on Carlton road (town end )  

Lady i knew well worked there and the Clinton arms....

Wife was offered a job at the Carlton road one with her........£11 per hour.....mid 80s..........she turned it down......i was gutted............lol

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

The Clinton Arms did have topless barmaids- or so I was told!

You'r right The Clinton Arms did have topless barmaids it was on a Sunday lunch time.  Not sure but i think this was one of the first pubs to have them. The date would be around 1967/69/72?

• Like 1