You forgot The Turks Head. Earl of Cheterfield was also known as the  Brunno don't ask why i don't know was the March Hare on Sneinton Dale?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

On 11/29/2022 at 6:33 AM, DJ360 said:

I haven't seentheRed Balloon since probably the 50s or 60s. Didn't it end with the little boy floating away on a big collection of balloons?

Yes he did Col, there should of been a part 2 to see where he ended up , maybe he landed in slab Square,  and the locals thought he was an alien so beat the living day lights out of him !!!!!

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

You forgot The Turks Head. Earl of Cheterfield was also known as the  Brunno don't ask why i don't know was the March Hare on Sneinton Dale?

OH Yes Mary i now remember the earl of Chesterfield...long story but i won a leather jacket arm wrestling in there....big chap completely stoned....coat much too big for me gave it to a mate next day.......and no the March Hare was on Carlton road.........

1 hour ago, mary1947 said:

You'r right The Clinton Arms did have topless barmaids it was on a Sunday lunch time.  Not sure but i think this was one of the first pubs to have them. The date would be around 1967/69/72?

The Clinton Arms and the Carlton road Topless barmaid one were both run by the same lady ''Chrissie''............

My friend was also a great ''Tassle dancer''

• Like 1

@benjamin1945 There's a piece in the Evening Post , Sept 1975 about a Mrs Christine Bliss of The Clinton Arms,  re-uniting with her sister Kathleen for the first time in 18 years after she migrated to Australia . This probably your "Chrissie" ?

• Like 1

MY self and Master were having a slight differance of opinion the other day. It started off by Master seeing Cliff Richards being interviewed on tv. Cliff sorry sir Cliff said Rock n' Roll first came in roung late 50s then it went on from there!!!!! What was Elvis Presley first Hit record well I said Heartbreak Hotel on his masters voice lable? looked  it up on inter net and on the site it said Elvis's first big Hit was ""Can't Help Falling In Love"   now you and I know this is not right.  Can any member confirm EP hit records please?

Perhaps it’s the difference between USA and UK charts?  I know the first record I bought was Heartbreak Hotel when I was about 13 (1956 ish).  I’ve always thought that Bill Haley and the Comets introduced  rock and roll to the UK as Elvis  was more of a a country and/or blues singer ?

• Like 1

At 15/16 loved so many Elvis records....amazing how we all still remember the words all these years later.........

When i used to sing ......''I don't have a wooden heart'' Dad would always say  ''No you have a Wooden Head''.....bless him...he was always right.......

• Like 1
On 12/5/2022 at 9:23 AM, benjamin1945 said:

At 15/16 loved so many Elvis records....amazing how we all still remember the words all these years later.........

When i used to sing ......''I don't have a wooden heart'' Dad would always say  ''No you have a Wooden Head''.....bless him...he was always right.......

When i brought this it was from his flim GI BLUES  the best record for me was "Love me Tender"

Just a little bit about this new singer that I have found yes she sings county but even master likes her voice so she must be good.  Name Lisa Mc Hugh she was born in Scotland but both her parents are Irish so her music is a little bit of Folk mixed with county.  Looking around and trying to find a DV of Lisa and music only found one ? why because this is the first one she has made, So if you like music like above give her a trial you won't be dissapointed. 

• Like 1

Just been listening to some singers and songwriters we lost in 2022 These are a few of mine.

What about you?

Judith Durham of The Seekers. Morningtown Ride

Loretta Lyn - Coal Miners Daughter

Vangelis - Chariots of Fire

Olivia Newton John - The Banks of the Ohio.

Meat Loaf (Michael Lee Aday) - Two out of three aint bad

Jim Seals (Seals and Croft) Summer Breeze

C W McCall - Convoy

Don Wilson, Guitarist for The Ventures - Pipeline

Gary Booker, Lead Singer Procol Harum - Whiter Shade of Pale  My all time favourite from the 60s

Been thinking about stuff we listened to at Christmas when I was a kid. I reckon we didn't get a record player until about 1962, which would make me 13. I went with Mum to buy it at a shop in town with records downstairs and audio kit upstairs. We got a Dansette and Mum also bought Marie Elena by Los Indios Tabajaras, which was in the UK charts in October '62. So that pretty much dates our purchase... And we'd be listening to this that Christmas.

Soon my Dad started buying everything that Jim Reeves ever recorded, and this, plus the rest of Jim's Christmas album, becamer a regular 'treat'. I still have a sneaking affection for Jim's rich voice, and his best songs were country classics, but his worse were truly dire.

Roy Orbison featured back then too, and I remember my Big Sis getting one of his albums for Christmas.

Of course all of this stuff was very uncool for a wannabe rock n roller like me.. ;)

Merry Christmas all..

• Like 1
22 hours ago, DJ360 said:

We got a Dansette

We had a Dansette record player with an "autochanger" that you could put 8 or 10 records on the spindle and it would play them automatically or so it said. Ours suffered from three faults, it would not drop the second record so the first one played over and over again. It would drop two or three records at a time so you never got to hear some of them and by far the worst it dropped all of them in one go and often damaged the needle. I can't remember it ever working properly.