AFAIK, FWIW, IME, Etc, are used on Internet forums, alongside, YMMV, ISTM, etc.:)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

On 3/24/2023 at 8:17 AM, DJ360 said:

AFAIK, FWIW, IME, Etc, are used on Internet forums, alongside, YMMV, ISTM, etc.

I'll admit to having to look them up except FWIW which I worked out.

YMMV, what's that all about? Surely YEMD (Your experience may differ)

4 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

YMMV, what's that all about? Surely YEMD (Your experience may differ

I detest this terminology, recall asking  Young chap at my 'local' 

What doe's FYI mean? 

He explained it, he was a nice chap, educated me on how working for the minimum wage was superior to a 'Zero Hours' contract which he defined as "Hell on Earth"..

He was sacked..I few months later,...

As for YMMV...?

You make me vomit?

• Like 1

From https://www.howtogeek.com/693183/what-does-ymmv-mean-and-how-do-you-use-it/

YMMV stands for “your mileage may (or might) vary.” This acronym is frequently used to refer to the differences between people’s experiences, preferences, or locations. It’s similar to AFAIK: “as far as I know.”

It’s also a fairly common phrase in real-world conversations. The literal version, which refers to the actual gas mileage a vehicle gets, is a helpful disclaimer. Even if two people drive the same car, they might get different gas efficiencies based on their driving habits.

11 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

I'll admit to having to look them up except FWIW which I worked out.

YMMV, what's that all about? Surely YEMD (Your experience may differ)

ISTR ( I Seem To Recall)) ) putting up a list of common abbreviations some time back. I try not to use them on here because I know most aren't familiar with them, but sometimes I just forget.

FWIW. For what it's  worth

IME. In my estimation.

AFAIK As far as I know.

IMO In my opinion.

YMMV very well explained by Rob above.

TL:DR usually refers to a lengthy post or quote made by a previous poster and is short for 'Too long, didn't read'.

Thing is, we've all lived with abbreviations since long before the Internet existed. ...

DIY

ASAP

Mr.

Mrs.

Snr

AM

PM

RSVP

Dr.

Rev.

Crs.

Bvd.

MOT

F

C

Etc., Etc...:)

P.S.

Someone just told me that LOL as in lots of laughs, was first used by a General or somesuch in a communication with Churchill during WW2. No idea if that's true.

A couple of other nice abbreviations  of military origin, possibly  quite old and certainly pre internet:

SNAFU.

FUBAR.

I won't translate as it's before the watershed ..,:)

On 3/17/2023 at 11:02 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Made the charts in 1960........remember it well.....must be old.........

I tend to remember Holliday in more relaxed 'Val Doonican' type mode wearing sweaters and playing guitar, but Ben, with your reputation for sartorial elegance, can you tell me the name of the type of black tie Holliday is wearing in this video?

• Like 1

No Col can't name the dickie bow Michael Holiday was wearing........ought to really wore one the same when i worked behind Bars...............

Is this how you remember him @margieh sorry @DJ360.......lol

Just read up a bit on him........always suffered from 'Stage Fright''.........and sadly passed on at only 38.......

Would the tie worn by velvet voice Michael Holliday be a 'Wyatt Earp tie? He was Britain's answer to Bing Crosby.

Elton at his best,,,with this lovely song...for two special Ladies......

Who can be the 1st to tell me what 'Elton John's'' special connection was with Nottingham ?..

No prize Phil........and i didnt know that.......:)

But there's another connection.......

Correct Sir,,,,,,,,,scored a goal then got his leg broke...so only played about 30 minutes...but Forest held out with 10 men and won 2-1.........

• Like 1
On 3/25/2023 at 4:25 PM, benjamin1945 said:

104001801_2663519903923332_7549542451744753606_n

Michael Holiday ''Eat ya heart out''....

Think 1963.....4/- per hour..........

Is that not just a normal bow tucked under your collar?

I seem to recall Bond wearing something similar in one of the earlier films.

• Like 1

To be perfectly honest Col i dont remember......:biggrin:

Do you remember the man on the right?........he was the Steward at BRSA Bulwell for many years..Ken Breward....ex Railway man and friend of my Dad

Lived on Leybourne drive.......lovely chap.........

Sorry Ben, I don't recall him. Thing is in 1964, I was barely 15, and only making my first tentative ( and illegal) forays into Licensed Premises!

• Like 1

Every so often, I get a Joan Baez mood on me.  I'll always love her voice and her unimpeachable 'way with a song'.

Joan is best known for her 60s 'folk revival/protest' singing, but she did a lot more. In 1975, she released 'Diamonds and Rust', an album much respected not just for its songs,including several of her own compositions, but as an 'Audiophile' recording.

Two songs here from that album:

Winds of the Old Days is about Dylan, and his return to performing after a long break.

Diamonds and Rust says a lot about Joan's legendary and enigmatic relationship with Dylan.

• Like 3

Thanks for the  Joan Baez music DJ , I havent listen to her music for decades. I forgot how much I enjoyed her songs, I have just been on  Amazon and ordered CDs Diamonds and Rust and Best of the Vanguard years.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Is that not just a normal bow tucked under your collar?

I seem to recall Bond wearing something similar in one of the earlier films.

The many iterations of 007 wore bow ties especially Sean Connery (the best Bond by far) but I can't recall him ever wearing one tucked under his collar.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Joan is best known for her 60s 'folk revival/protest' singing

She did "cover versions" in her own style of many classics. The Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger ones stick in my mind for some reason. Who can forget her versions of There but for Fortune and The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down and that

classic protest song We Shall Overcome.

• Like 1