9 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Knew the tune as soon as it started, even remembered the title but for the life of me never knew the artist.

This is my favourite cricket theme from the 80s? Soul Limbo. England playing the West Indies when it was on the BBC and not behind a PayWall on Poxtel or some other pay service.

Soul Limbo was the title of an album and single released in 1968 by Booker T and the MG's, who first scored with 'Green Onions' in the early 60s.  Soul Limbo was a popular dance tune when I was DJ'ing, but it lost a bit of its 'underground coolness' when adopted later by the BBC, so I played it a bit less. ;).

The follow up hit was 'Time is Tight'.. a film theme, released in 1969, which again was standard fare in the soul clubs and 'discos' of the time.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I bought Soul Limbo as a single when it was first released - before it was adopted for cricket purposes - and I still like it today.

But I always thought Time is Tight was dull and boring.

I still like them both... :)

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

But I always thought Time is Tight was dull and boring.

9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I still like them both...

What about this from Booker T and the M G's

Booker T & the M G 's - Green Onions (Original / HQ audio) - YouTube

Damn it that bl**dy "copy video url" that takes you to the song on YT is not working again, why? 

• Upvote 1

I have always been a big fan of Booker T and got lots of their albums . 

This track was always a favourite 

• Upvote 1

;) I think, as we discussed at the last meet up.. we've all aged a bit in the 60+ years since Stax began churning out hits.

It's a bit complex and I can never recall the full details but basically..

Booker T Jones formed the Memphis Group ( MGs) along with Steve Cropper, guitar,Al Jackson drums and another chap whose name escapes me who was fairly soon replaced by the late Donald 'Duck' Dunn,bass.

In addition to their own work, they also formed the basic backing band for Stax records.  They were also at times augmented by the Memphis Horns, Wayne Jackson and Andrew Love on sax and trumpet basically forming the Mar Keys, who backed Stax artists in the studio and on tour and also had hits..like this....

'Cookin'!!

Also worth noting that Steve Cropper in particular has song writing credits on a lot of the Stax output, as of course did Rufus Thomas, who wrote Philly Dog.

The MGs/ MarKeys had a huge influence on the Stax sound, in a similar way to the 'Funk Brothers' at Motown.

• Like 2

Two significant musicians left us this week.

Tony 'TS' Mc Phee, lead guitarist of blues/rock band The Groundhogs., famous from the 60s on..

Astrud Gilberto.

This is the album which started it all.. a hugely successful 1963 collaboration between Stan Getz, Joao Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim, which featured 'The Girl From Ipanema', as well as other hits 'Corcovado/Quiet Nights' and 'Desafinado'.

Astrid wasn't even credited on the Album cover.. being relegated to a comment close to the end of the liner notes.

'The girl's voice that you hear on the album is that of Astrud, Joao's wife, a sweet, quiet girl who is herself a composer- and, of necessity, Joao's English translator.'

To be frank, in my view, Astrud was never a great singer.. (I have later albums by her which are average at best..), but her monotone style on 'Ipanema' etc., was perfect for the cool, reflective mood of that album.

RIP

• Like 2
20 hours ago, DJ360 said:

To be frank, in my view, Astrud was never a great singer.. (I have later albums by her which are average at best..), but her monotone style on 'Ipanema' etc., was perfect for the cool, reflective mood of that album.

It is odd that certain voices can be perfect for certain songs. I love ‘The Windmills of your Mind’ sung by Noel Harrison but can’t say he was a great singer.

• Upvote 1

I have a similar attitude towards Richard Harris (mainly known as a singer for MacArthur Park). He couldn't sing in the traditional sense, but he made a couple of albums and I really like them.

Richard Harris was an actor, wasn't he? Cromwell?

Frank Sinatra couldn't sing but his records sold millions among my parents' generation. He rarely hits a note. Instead he slides onto it eventually. 

• Like 1

Early Frank Sinatra was OK for me, but his voice hardened as he aged and I found it unpleasant.

For me, possibly the greatest singer to emerge from the modern 'jazz/blues/rock' era was Ray Charles. His emotional expression was phenomenal and he could even scream melodically.

What is 'good' singing though?

In the 'classical' world, of course there seem to be 'rules'. Correct pitch and the ability to 'hit' a note first time clearly. Yet, listen to the difference between someone like Gigli singing tradition Italian songs, and Pavarotti, belting out his famous 'High Cs'.

Though much more in the Folk tradition, I'd put Eddie Reader ( sometime 'Fairground Attraction' lead) up against pretty much any 'classical' singer when it comes to both pitch and vocal range.

On the other hand, Billy Holliday, with no formal training and a severely limited vocal range, became recognised as having 'changed jazz forever', as well as influencing practically all of jazz and 'popular' singing since.

Can Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits etc., sing?  I reckon they can, though I understand why some find them 'difficult'.

Maybe see the difference between say 'classical' and 'rock/blues/folk' singers as similar to the difference between 'styles' of poetry, which are hugely varied across history and geography.

Interestingly, Bob Dylan said 'If I can sing it, it's a song..if I can't sing it, it's a poem, and if it's too long to be a poem..it's a novel' ..or words to that effect. He was being typically mischeivous and vague, but also I think, making a valid point about 'convention'...and its limitations.

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Richard Harris was an actor, wasn't he? Cromwell?

And much besides, up to Harry Potter..

8 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Yes, he was chiefly known as an actor.......and apparently a drinker and general hell-raiser, on a par with Oliver Reed.

In 1975 I was staying at the Victoria Hotel with an Irish Wolfhound and actors who were making a film at Hardwick Hall, the dog was to be in the film.  The cast included Oliver Reed and he was thrown out of the hotel for causing a great deal of trouble due to his alcohol consumption.  The film was never finished, they ran out of money! 

In the. Early 1970’s numerous rock bands appeared at the Albert Hall. Some famous names but without doubt Groundhogs stick in my mind and were right at the very top.

McPhee was brilliant, a superb performer. Sorry to learn of his passing.

• Like 1

My afternoon doze on the sunlounger today, had me thinking back to sunny days of my youth. Sometimes I'm transported back to childhood, but more often to my teenage years and to songs which 'stuck'.  Some are repeat and obvious offenders such as 'Lazy Sunday' by the Small Faces, 'Sunny Afternoon' by the Kinks, or 'Summer in the City' by the Lovin' Spoonful.... but, today I had three rather less obvious songs on rotation in my head.

It's funny the way some songs just seem to 'go together', even though they may have little to connect them but a vaguely similar theme.

These three all focus on 'loss', in one way or another, with 'Goin' Back being specifically about lost youth, I Wanna Go Back There again about lost love and Any Day Now, about fear of loss..

It's being so cheerful keeps me going..:laugh:.. but seriously, any good song makes me happy.

'Goin' Back' by Dusty.. also recorded by the Byrds and many others.

Chris Clark.

Early soul star Chuck Jackson..

• Like 1

I used to love Peter Sarstedt Where do you go to my lovely. Released in 1969 it was also a bit of a one hit wonder but the lyrics at age 14 were of romantic places (apart from the “back streets of Naples” ) I knew every word and used to sing along at the top of my voice.

8 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

What A Day For A Day Dream.

Those were the days my friend 

9 hours ago, MRS B said:

I used to love Peter Sarstedt Where do you go to my lovely. Released in 1969 it was also a bit of a one hit wonder but the lyrics at age 14 were of romantic places (apart from the “back streets of Naples” ) I knew every word and used to sing along at the top of my voice.

So MrsB., Are you going to sing it for us now? That would be lovely.

Saturday morning and I'm listening to the late Eva Cassiday singing "Fields of Gold". Could listen to her all day.

Enjoy your day Mrs Blowbroth.x

• Like 1
11 hours ago, MRS B said:

I used to love Peter Sarstedt Where do you go to my lovely. Released in 1969 it was also a bit of a one hit wonder 

He was indeed a one-hit wonder, and I never really liked 'Where do you go...'. , but the predecessor was the oddly named 'I am a Cathedral' which I think is one of the great lost gems of music.

• Like 1

Just beat me to it Oz....:)

Not quite a one hit wonder, because Frozen Orange Juice reached No. 10 in the June after 'Where Do You.. etc.?

In my memory, Frozen Orange Juice was bundled with his somewhat 'risque' (for the time) 'Take Off Your Clothes', although in some listings they were on separate singles. We played both down the 360..

He continued recording and churning out albums until he retired in I think 2010.

Let's 'do' the Sarstedts.

First up, pre Beatles, was Richard, a.k.a. Eden Kane. Singer and also actor.  He had 5 top ten hits including one No.1 I recall these three best.

Next up Peter, who did early stuff under other names, but hit the jackpot with:

..and registered on the charts with:

and...

And Clive.. a.k.a. Robin Sarstedt (among other names)

Fab stuff!! :)

• Like 1