And just because I can..I'm putting up this 1958 video of Bobby Day doing his big song 'Rockin' Robin.  I've never seen even a pic of Bobby Day before.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Please, Please 

Will all members look at The Thrasonics on UTUBE they are live at The Old Star Uttoxeter, 

singing YOU CAN CALL ME AL and please if you like them give it a tick 

ps The youger string bean tall one is my grandson Joe and he plays base.

Had a look Noddy, but it were a bit dark for these owd eyes. We're they playing down the bottom of t'owd pit? In which case, a few more cap lamps needed. Happy days lass. !

@mary1947 I found it on YouTube but, like BK, I found it a bit dark (that may be the fault of my eyes)

I have given  it a like anyway as it sounded good

Thanks MargieH     must addmit music is a bit Heavy Rock but thanks for the like.

Every Little Helps.

I keep thinking about starting a new thread for soul/R&B 'underground' hits that formed the basis of the UK 'soul' and later 'Northern Soul' scene, but for now.. this one is in my head.

Recognisable from the first note.  An absolute classic.

Followed by:

I'm back in the 360 with a dozen ciggies burning out round the edge of the decks..a pint wobbling on the record box and me wondering what to play next..

How's this...?

And..

Dig!!!  :cool:

Thanks Ian...for reminding me of this great ''Bum Squeezer''

Must get an ''Afro'' next time at Barbers.......

AHH they were the days......do the 'Young uns'' still do it ?

Vernon with Jean...1/6 each....

Futurist with Christine...2/6

then Gaumont in town with some 'Posh' Bird  3/6 and she wanted 'Tub of Ice cream'' another shilling'''.......Ridiculous...lol

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Had my 'Booster' yesterday feel right off..........Wife gone south again for a few days.....distributing Xmas Pressies.......if i feel better later will force mesen into Bulwell.............in the meantime will rely on 'Polly' to cheer me up.........go Polly'''

Danced to that song and others when i saw them performing live about 1970 in Tamworth..........loved her ever since......:rolleyes:

As some will have realised, I'm fascinated by the history of  popular music, especially Soul/R&B type stuff from the post WW2 period onwards.

The other day I was listening to a compilation CD given to me by a friend, and featuring 'Goodnight My Love, Pleasant Dreams', by Ben. E. King. I'd not heard that version before, but was immediately reminded that I have that song by a chap called Jessie Belvin, on an obscure 'freebie' compilation given away by 'Hi Fi News and Record Review' years ago.

So.. a bit of digging around and it seems that Mr Belvin's biggest hit on both sides of the pond was in the late 1950s and called 'Guess Who'.  It was written by his wife.  But he did 'Goodnight My Love', earlier, around 1956. That was nine years before Ben.E.King.

Further digging revealed that Jesse Belvin was a co-writer of the 1954 'Daddy of all Doo Wop Songs'  'Earth Angel'..a huge hit for the Penguins.  Belvin had many other associations with other well known musicians such as Franki Valli (Four Seasons) Johnny 'Guitar' Watson and also numerous jazz musicians including saxophonist Art Pepper.

Sadly:

shortly after finishing a performance on a bill with Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, and Marv Johnson on February 6, 1960, Belvin and his wife were killed in a head-on collision at Hope, Arkansas.[14] The concert was the first concert played before an integrated audience in the history of Little Rock, and was stopped twice by interruptions from whites in the audience, shouting racial epithets and urging the white teenagers in attendance to leave at once. Journalists have stated that police suspected the car was tampered with.[15] Jackie Wilson told the press that he had requested his lawyer look into the matter, but no official determination was ever made.[16]

Very sad story and we can only guess where Jessie would have gone if he lived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Belvin

Another 'Brummy'' group........brings back memories of staying in 'Shifnall'' nr Shrewsbury in 'Shropshire'' Doing a shop update to self service in the 60s.......and dancing in a Pub to this song.....still see the chap i worked with from Bestwood estate..hes my oldest friend...hes 80 now and looks 50...

Yes it was a 'Freddie' number.......but when i saw this group in 'Shifnall' nr Shrewsbury' in Shropshire the Applejacks were mentioned in the intro.........the group wernt the Applejacks but at that time the 'A's were popular in that part of the country and have always stuck in my mind.......