Oztalgian

What are you listening to now ??

Judee Sill had a terrible life.. involving drug abuse.. criminality and prostitution..

But she wrote this.

All big tunes down the 360! 

Dig!!!

Best known here for 'Barefootin'.. Robert Parker also had this simple but effective dance tune.

And this .. complete wit loony dancers They are compulsory on US music vids... :laugh:

360....  Miss those days so much...

I'm presently listening to music on my posh new headphones and up to song 86 of 123 on the first Playlist I made on  my new music server.  Current song is the lovely 'Our Town' by Iris De Ment.  I hardly touched my music collection to do this. and I know people with far bigger collections than mine.

I read once that some psychologists think that music is a human necessity.

I can Dig that..  and I'm now listening to Van Morrison 'Bright Side of the Road'..

Wonder what's next?..

Ha!! It's 'Buzz Buzz Buzz' by the Hollywood Flames.. a Doo Wop hit from around 1957.

Cookin'!!!!

And now it is the sublime.  'We'll Go No More A Roving'.  By Joan Baez.

I'm putting that up....  Those insisting on a Nottingham Connection can dig the fact that the original lyrics come from a Poem written by Lord Byron.  Im as lived up Newstead...

Now onto Joni Mitchell  'Morning Morgantown'.. another gem..

• Like 2

As a scruffy student in what now seems a lifetime ago Baez and Dylan were de rigueur. I find her a bit too shrill and sugary now. Her Diamonds and Rust was better where she sings an octave lower.

• Like 1

I sort of agree, but it depends very much on the song.  There's a sequence of songs on. I think, 'In Concert' Vol 2, which is superb and not too shrill. It includes 'Pretty Peggy O' also known as Fenario, along with Long Black Veil and one other I can't bring to mind.  Diamonds and Rust is of course a stunningly good album.

Here:  Joan Baez in Concert.. Pt 2.

Go from around 22 minutes and get 'Long Black Veil', 'Pretty Peggy O' and 'Nubilo Cardilo'.. IMHO.. a terrific sequence of songs.... but there's nothing bad on this album.

Ooohh... shivers....

Joan Baez.  Diamonds and Rust. One she wrote about a contact with Dylan..after some time...

And another song from the album.. which she also wrote...  it's an obituary.. but for a relationship.. not an individual...

Terrific poetry.

Terrific song.

I can't recall if I've posted about Kate Wolf before.  She was born in the 1940s and had a short but influential folk music career and sadly succumbed to leukaemia in 1986.

Footage from Silverhill Colliery to the music of Working Man sung by David Alexander.

Can't listen to this without misty eyes as I remember my dad, all my family and friends who were miners at local collieries.

• Like 1

I know that song from other sources Oz.  And of course I don't forget that my Dad, uncles, cousins, Brother and others all had their own experiences in the  Notts coal industry. It killed my Dad. I also worked in the Coal Industry and went underground.. but not on a daily basis.

This is my favourite song about the coal.

Some timeless photos along with a haunting voice, not heard that before, Thanks DJ.

Of course I could not forget Gresford, The Miners Hymn oft played by colliery brass bands all across the coalfields

Or this one by The Houghton Weavers about the disaster at Pretoria pit in North Lancashire

Off to see em @ Rock City Saturday Night tickets like rocking horse shit :crazy:

Not listening to anything cos I'm deaf - however I have been rummaging among our old record collection this morning - so DJ, advice please before I chuck them out. Mixture of early pop 45's trad jazz and all sorts. Our son raided the collection a few years ago so all the Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Black Sabbath and stuff from that era missing.

Rock and Roll Heaven by the Righteous Brothers.

Saying farewell to Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Otis Redding, Jim Croce, Bad Bad Leroy Brown, and Bobby Darin.

Who would you include in a more up to date version? I reckon it would be hell of a band!

Good grief! It's not time for the Eurovision Song Contest again is it?

What a load of unmitigated rubbish and since when was Australia in Europe or are we being groomed to take the UK's place after Brexit?

On 1/14/2020 at 1:06 PM, PeverilPeril said:

Not listening to anything cos I'm deaf - however I have been rummaging among our old record collection this morning - so DJ, advice please before I chuck them out. Mixture of early pop 45's trad jazz and all sorts. Our son raided the collection a few years ago so all the Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Black Sabbath and stuff from that era missing.

Hi PP,

If you give me titles and preferably serial No.s  in a PM, I can look at reference books to check rough values.. though as you know, anything is ultimately worth whatever you can get for it...  :)

P.S. Condition is everything..

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 1:26 AM, DJ360 said:

More songs from another time..

Bruce Channel first came to UK attention with this.. his massive world wide hit from 1962..  I can't hear it without seeing a mental image of an old, now deceased school friend on the stairs in High Pavement between lessons.. singing this at the top of his voice. 

Fab stuff...

Another (uncomplicated) time indeed. Hey Baby song brings memories of my college days in Birmingham at the time this was released. Disk was on the college common room juke box and played every lunchtime. 

Here's another from the same time which I took a liking to, it's not rock'n'roll  but it made no9 in '62. A good old sentimental song, also a well crafted tune imo (as is Hey Baby) and is a good singalong one. Karl Denver, certainly a unique artist.

P.S. @ Peveril Peril..  Please do not 'chuck out' your old records.  If they are in half-decent condition, I'll buy them from you.

5 hours ago, DJ360 said:

P.S. @ Peveril Peril..  Please do not 'chuck out' your old records.  If they are in half-decent condition, I'll buy them from you.

Thanks DJ. Not really thought much about selling them. I would assume that most are rubbish and not in particularly good nick. Buying a record player tomorrow for Mrs PP and we will have a more careful search through them. Some artists I have never heard of. Quite a lot of trad jazz - Duch Swing College etc. Some belonged to my dad and sister so quite a diverse collection. Even a few 78's.

PP Do whatever you think best, except don't throw them out..  They are cultural and historic... even the oones you or I may think are 'naff'.  If you want to know potential values, you could try looking on Discogs

https://www.discogs.com/

It lists all sales in all types of music etc., etc.  Otherwise your best bet is the Record Collector Rare Record Price Guide.

Col

• Like 1