Featuring Jack Bruce and Charlie Watts, and the late Cyril Davies who died of Leukaemia in Jan 1964.  Probably the greatest British 'Harp' player of all time...and a terrific vocalist too.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

Ben, another group called The Spinners with some fantastic shots of the UK. The song was all about the "Right to Roam". Written by Ewan MacColl I've walked and climbed in most of the places in th

Posted Images

3 hours ago, HSR said:

No play unless you take the Google app!

They move fast....only cut browser download plug in's about 3 months ago.

IMonthly subscription??

Nope.  It's the way you hold your face....;)

Well it's 2.04 a.m and I've finally found my copy of the Rolling Stones 'Sticky Fingers'., so I can do a personal homage to old Charlie Watts.

Been meaning to sort out my vinyl into some sort of order for months.. but since I can't get down on my knees..or get up again if I do. .. grovelling in the shelves is not easy.  I also have a copy of 'Rolled Gold' somewhere.. which has most of the early singles etc... I'll have a look for that tomorrow. I never really followed the Stones much after 'Sticky Fingers'..and TBH I didn't really listen to their albums much before that..apart from the first two. A number of early Stones songs seem to be quite difficult to find on vinyl or CD.

• Like 2

I've just spent a happy couple of hours playing my Stones vinyl..  Sticky Fingers, and the 1970s compilation 'Rolled Gold'.  Good fun.  My main 'Stones thing' though is the awesome run of singles they had, from the first 'Come On'.. through to Jumping Jack Flash, Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Women.  Great stuff.

For me the greatest Stones LP is Goats Head Soup. I have it on the car player. I recall once a few years ago nipping into a the garage to pay for petrol leaving my youngest grandson aged 5 in his car seat with the LP playing. When I got back he was happily singing along to the chorus to the final track ‘Star’. It is rather rude.

My kind of Cat...........

Always wanted to share a ''Chaise Longue'' with Eartha and a bunch of Grapes.............

HSR. Is this what you meant,.

Yes, well attended, but amazingly far from maxed out.

Stew was the instigator, .. Colin Hodge' was bass, until Jack showed up..

There was one or two other gigs..not personel experience, just computer BS! ..

Probably a strange choice but my favourite Charlie song is Route 66...

Gimme Shelter will never leave my top 20,...all time song.

pregnant pauses..on the tom's!

27 minutes ago, HSR said:

Gimme Shelter will never leave my top 20,...all time song.

Youtube have what they call the best version ever - and it's hard to disagree. Not sure when it was performed.

I only have Let it Bleed and Goats Head Soup - but it's always been enough.

The poster in the Goats Head Soup sleeve is pristine - my mum absolutely refused to let me put it on the wall!

Some singers are just as good to watch.......as listen to......

Thought i could have my cake..and eat it too.........how true....

Forgive me girl............

I’d forgotten these two songs!  Never realised when I was a teenager what they were actually about until now…. I just used to sing along …..

The first is obviously a light hearted comment about other songs of the time, and the second is a song of hope for justice and freedom everywhere.  We need more songs like that and subsequent action in these troubled times 

That's it now it's in me head :crazy:

Bomp ba ba bomp ba bomp ba bomp bomp rama lama ding dong bomp ba ba bomp ba bomp ba bomp bomp rama lama ding dong bop shoo bop shoo bop boogity boogity shoo rama lama ding dong bomp ba ba bomp ba bomp ba bomp bomp rama lama ding dong bomp ba ba bomp ba bomp ba bomp bomp rama lama ding dong bop shoo bop shoo bop boogity boogity shoo rama lama ding dong bomp ba ba bomp ba bomp ba bomp bomp rama lama ding dong bomp ba ba bomp ba bomp ba bomp bomp rama lama ding dong bop shoo bop shoo bop boogity boogity shoo rama lama ding dong :shout:

Am I missing something here? 

Mr Bass Man was originally a hit for Johnny Cymbal.

Worth reading this comment from Youtube.

John Hendry Blair ("Johnny Cymbal") was a Scottish-born American singer. He was 18 at this recording. He died of a heart attack in Mar. 1993, at only 48. The Bass Man's voice was Ronald Bright, then 24, the bass singer of The Valentines, The Cadillacs, and The Coasters doo-wop groups. He died on Nov. 26, 2015 at 77. Johnny Cymbal was not a stage name. He was adopted by his mom's second husband, Nick Cymbal.

So there you have it.  And frankly I have never rated Sha Na Na..who come slightly above Showaddywaddy in the list of poor copyists.

15 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Am I missing something here?

Yes. I had a reminder from somewhere of 'Who Put The Bomp' and was minded to share it on NS, so I youtube searched it, listened to the 1st three that came up on my list and selected one that gave the most pronounced bass/snare rhythm as i perceived it on my audio setup, and I posted it as a 'good starter'. That led to an unexpected revelation about an 'earworm'. So I searched again as before this time for the similar 'Mr Bassman' for a version which had the stronger recorded bass voice as per my audio and posted that as an earworm antidote. A bit of fun really, not meant to be an assay of provenance of any song or singer, or even a personal choice of quality or preference as a recording.

That said, I'm still slowly working through your recommendations of Nanci Griffith's output and found some (imo) gems;

Gulf Coast Highway,

Trouble in the Field,

'This Old Town', and the serious but sweet

'From a Distance'. 

Loving the folkabilly style.

Meanwhile, I'll leave y'all with this Eartha Kitt jewel, sleep well:rolleyes:

• Like 2

In the early 70’s I used to go to the Albert Hall where they had bands on. I saw some great artists there, Wishbone Ash, Mott the Hoople, Groundhogs, Curved Air. Numerous others. One supporting band (I can’t recall who they were supporting) was Sha Na Na. A strange choice for a rock concert. I recall they were pretty good but entirely the wrong venue for them and they didn’t go down very well.

7 hours ago, Willow wilson said:

Meanwhile, I'll leave y'all with this Eartha Kitt jewel

Good one WW,who can forget her version of Santa Baby, or her portrayal as Catwoman. I'd not heard her take on Hurdy Gurdy Man before, the Donovan version was part of my youth.

12 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

In the early 70’s I used to go to the Albert Hall where they had bands on. I saw some great artists there, Wishbone Ash, 

I saw Wishbone Ash at the Albert Hall in 71. We were probably in the same place at the same time.