7 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I'll try to post it later but at present am in a waiting room at the hospital Eye clinic with a very shaky connection.

NOW what have you done?

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Part of the pleasure in spending your later years near where you grew up....is bumping into friends from 60 years and more ago.......\i constantly do this in Bulwell.....old school pals from the 50s a

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

Posted Images

Here's a few of the greatest  guitarists singing in honour of Roy Orbison, late the remainder played in honour of George Harrison after he passed on, I wasn't aware Tom Petty had passed on, great singers, guitarists and song writers..

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Brew said:

NOW what have you done?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:  Thanks for your concern, but nothing. Just a routine check up for the old Pigment Dispersion Syndrome.  It seems all is well for another 6 months.

• Like 1

@Oztalgian

You asked for more 'guitar instrumentals'. There are loads, though some are fairly forgettable.

A few I recall, in no particular order:

A little oddity here from Joe Brown:

It seems to me that for a lot of folks, just the sound of tunes being played on the Electric Guitar was enough.. so the bar for melody and production wasn't so high.  Take this one from Jon Barry which I have on a 78:

Amazingly, this was a hit.. a bit of a take on Greensleeves, roduced by Joe Meek.

The above, yet another in the 'craze for 'rocking up', classic songs and tunes.  I recall seeing this lot apear on'Thank Your Lucky Stars or somesuch all decked out in Roman Soldier kit., with skirts and sandals..it was quite disturbing at the time....:wacko:

16 hours ago, MargieH said:

I wonder how many Nottstalgians actually saw one another at Goosefair never knowing that they would end up sending messages over 60 years later!!

Yes MargieH, probably a lot like ships passing in the "lights". For me the Goose Fair was more about the sights, sounds and smells than the rides and sideshows. The lights on the rides, imagine what they are like now with computer controlled LEDs. The sound of the speakers thumping out the rock n roll especially Johnnie and the Hurricanes. The screams of the riders as the rides went faster. The sounds and smell of the hot oil from the generators and the smells of the food. Fried onions, brandy snaps, candy floss and hamburgers and hot dogs.

• Like 3

Oztalgion you have captured the essence of old Goose Fair exactly. All about the smells, the taste and the music. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Dick Dale is generally held to be the Pioneer of Surf Music. I'm pretty sure you'd recognise his 'Misirlou'.

DJ360, I have never heard that piece or of Dick Dale before. To me it sounded a bit dischordant and had undertones of Spanish flamenco, more of a mixed style than what I would call surf.

Oz, he seems to have only released a few tunes here, from about '63 on.. but never charted.  Still, he is held up as the 'master' in the USA.

Here's another of his:

Meanwhile, there were other 'surfer' bands, a bit better known in the UK, I'll leave the Beach Boys out as they're a bit obvious.

And the earliest reference I know to Skateboarding:

Cool Dudes Eh?

22 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Still, he is held up as the 'master' in the USA.

Sorry DJ, Dick Dale just doesn't do it at all for me. Still sounds like a mish-mash of styles when compared to the "purer" surf sound of the Jan and Dean and Surfaris examples that have become classics.

• Like 1

Well yep..  Not enough of a fan here to buy Dick Dale's stuff.  Just interesting music history.

But since we're on the 'lectric geetarrr' ,maybe time for a little homage to the real pioneers.. Les Paul and Mary Ford:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

Les Paul and Mary Ford:

The man credited with the invention of the solid body electric guitar.

There version of Tiger Rag is one of my favourite versions of that song

• Like 1

‘Dream lover’ and ‘There’ll never be anyone else’ made me very emotional.  They took me back to a big group of silly teenagers lounging about, flirting and dancing to a portable record player in Woodthorpe park on summer evenings.   

• Like 1

I loved the clips of Les Paul and Mary Ford. They reminded me of Flatt and Scruggs hill billy music which i came to love visiting Kentucky.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Flatt and Scruggs

nonnaB, I like Blue Grass music too I think it is the banjo and fiddle that hooks me, their best known song would have to be Foggy Mountain Breakdown. They also wrote the theme for Beverly Hillbillies

• Like 1

There's some great Blue Grass "Jams" on Youtube with some of the greatest names in C&W including Steve Martin, who'd have thought Steve started his career in show business as a Banjo player for Glenn Cambell, and boy can he pick a banjo!!

• Like 2

I got heavily into Australian folk and C&W when I lived there, Wallis and Matilda, etc.

When I lived in Bathurst, NSW, the University had it's own low power FM stereo radio station run by the students. On Sunday for there was one show called Blue Grass and more, some great old real Country and Music records, some dating back to the 1920's!!  Plus Cajun Music!! NOW THERE"S some real foot stomping music from Louisiana!!

Although I don't understand French, I love Cajun music. I have several CD's with the best Cajun music there is, even modern Cayjun is good foot stomping music!

• Like 1

Driving today and this came on ''Smooth Radio''.......simply Beautiful...........

On 4/27/2022 at 9:51 PM, Ayupmeducks said:

I got heavily into Australian folk and C&W when I lived there

You don't have much choice out in the boonies as most regional radio station play lists are heavily weighted towards that genre. Can't put a name to any Cajun music, could you give me some examples please. I do however love the food, gumbo, jambalaya, boudin and crawfish come immediately to mind.

I too am no expert on Cajun, but I picked up a copy of 'Aly Bain meets the Cajuns' some years ago. It features a number of Cajun bands. Worth seeking out.

Those were the days......Paul Jones terrific voice...hard to believe he's 80 now.......then again many of us on here aren't far behind...but we had the best music...knew how to dress...and had so many places to go........

But if you gotta go...Go now.......

Or else you gotta stay all night........

• Upvote 1

I don't think you could call Bathurst as out in the "boonies", I used to listen to the Sydney AM stations when I lived there, but on Sunday afternoon is was nice to hear what the students enjoyed on the University radio station. They had some taste.

Here's some Cajun for you.....

And here's the Balfa Brothers with traditional Cajun music.

Cajun has evolved from traditional Balfor Brothers style to Zydeco.