• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, Ayup Ben, pleased to see you back and sorry you’ve had health issues but hope you settle into your new home quickly.  Did you get out before the rent man called?   Just hope that a few of th

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

I listen to "Always" and I'm thinking of fabulous Mrs WW, from happy courting days to the sweetest honeymoon, through all the years, all the sunsets, all the sunrises, all the hard times, near disaste

Posted Images

Yebbut the verses in Dylan’s original composition are superb. The last verse is sublime.

“And take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind
Down the foggy ruins of time
Far past the frozen leaves
The haunted frightened trees
Out to the windy beach
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea
Circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate
Driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow“

• Like 1

Dylan was de rigeur in the 60's when we got pissed and contemplated our navels... a lot!  Now I have a lot of his work on the hard drive I rarely listen and then often not all the way through. I remember there was uproar and cries of 'sell out' when he brought in more instruments than just guitar and harmonica. His later work doesn't appeal much as his earlier stuff - perhaps I just grew up..

All this talk of playing assorted instruments is quite intimidating. :blink:

I never really learned music. Talk 'sevenths' and 'diminished' this or that, make about as much sense to me as do Differential Calculus, or Trigonometry.

Obviously..like all young lads in the 60s I had a guitar.. but my efforts to play it never got much beyond using C, F and G7 to do rough versions of Donovan songs.. or whatever chords were required to do the Animals stylee arpeggio intro to House of thec Rising Sun. Later in my 'traditional folk period (late 70s) I acquired a Mandolin and painstakingly worked out faltering versions of various Irish jigs and reels..

However.. in the end I decided that the best contribution I could make to Music, was not to try to play it.

I'm always envious of how music seems to come naturally to people of Irish descent.

I've always been jealous of anyone able to play music. There are various instruments around the house gathered over the years, can't play any and the flute is impossible to make a sound on.

2 minutes ago, Mess said:

The comb and tissue paper is a good starting point. Izal was rubbish toilet paper but it did produce some decent music

That's true I'd forgotten that -  along with the Kazoo,  slide whistle and biscuit tin drum...

We too have an interesting collection of musical instruments. My favourite is a set of bagpipes which I’m not allowed to play. Many years ago I had a Caterham 7 sports car and I used to take it for a thrash around the back lanes of Lincolnsire early on a Sunday morning. I was amazed to see, in a roadside clearing in the middle of nowhere, a lone piper playing his heart out. I paused to listen and played it to my wife on my mobile. He was obviously banished from his house!

• Like 1

There are an Oboe, and Clarinet somewhere in the house.  I have my Mandolin, several penny whistles and such. I can actually get a few tunes out of the whistle.. but I'm a terrifyingly long way from the effortless playing of the Irish folks whose fingers just seem to roll lightly over the whistle with phenomenal speed.

The best music produced in my house is from my hi-fi..

I’ve just done an instrument stocktake:

Hofner Congress accosting/electric 

2 Fender electrics

A Yamaha 12 string acoustic/electric

Folk guitar

Bugle

Trumpet

Clarinette

Bagpipes 
Banjo

Electric bass guitar.

Mouth organ

I gave the keyboard to a charity

It’s amazing what you collect over the years!

A clarinette, violin or piano were the three I'd most like to learn. Apart from being tone deaf my left hand takes no notice of any instruction from me and wandes off doing its own thing. It's the same when typing... :(

I didn't start the organ until I was mid 60s.  I found a teacher and a church that allowed me to practice on their pipe organ.  Bought some books and here we are.  Just wish I'd started when I was a kid.  This rotten stroke set me back a couple of years musically, but it's gradually coming back and it's good physiotherapy.

• Like 3

Pleased you're getting it back LL and you have maintained your level of motivation. My problem seems to be lack of interest in anything and my motivation  is almost zero. With almost no stimulus I'm getting older by the day...

At first that was one of my main reasons for starting it , Jim.  To try to stave off the worst effects of aging for a few more years.  It has certainly helped eg. Learning to read music, which I still don't know that well.  Physical dexterity, (now damaged on right side due to stroke.)  I am just not going to shrivel up and die.  I've come this far and I'm determined to keep it up until I just cannot climb on the bench anymore.  It's good for me and I love the sound anyway.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, philmayfield said:

We too have an interesting collection of musical instruments. My favourite is a set of bagpipes which I’m not allowed to play. Many years ago I had a Caterham 7 sports car and I used to take it for a thrash around the back lanes of Lincolnsire early on a Sunday morning. I was amazed to see, in a roadside clearing in the middle of nowhere, a lone piper playing his heart out. I paused to listen and played it to my wife on my mobile. He was obviously banished from his house!

I love the bagpipes my cousin lives in Melbourne Australia and he often takes part in games in Scotland and in Aus. His daughter also plays.

When I bought the bagpipes the music shop gave me a jar of brown gooey looking substance with which I was supposed to lubricate the inside of the bag to stop it leaking air. I don't know what happened to it - my wife might have spread it on my toast. They sit forlornly on the shelf in what we call the 'music room' simply because all the unused instruments seem to congregate there. Since compiling my earlier inventory I have now found a violin. I just hope no visitor ask for a recital. The last time I heard the bagpipes live was on the quayside at Oban. I asked the piper if he could play 'Far, Far Away'. Sadly he had no sense of humour as he told me to eff off.

I didn’t know that story HSR.

I know McGuinn started out as a banjo player and used finger picks on a lot of his guitar tracks with The Byrds. I also know he was wowed by the sound of George Harrison's 360/12 Rickenbacker on A Hard Days Night so he went out a bought one for himself. He also got Crosby to use a Gretsch and Michael Clarke to use Ludwig drums to try and emulate the sound of The Beatles. He didn't completely succeed but finished up with very impressive sound of his own.

10 minutes ago, HSR said:

Oldie but goodie..

What's the difference between a U.S.A. Strat' and a Mexican Strat?:mellow:

Serious answer is price/wood/ number of frets. But I guess there's a joke coming up which I haven't heard so please put me out my misery and hit me with the punchline.

14 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

How would you dress for Dancing to 'Blue Grass''..........gud ol boys?

Has to be bib'n'brace overalls, check shirts and boots, sorry Ben no neckties

• Like 1