I would put Nat Cole's version of Hoagy Carmichael's 'Stardust' easily into my 'Top Ten Ballads'  along with Ella's 'Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye', Johnny Mathis' 'Misty', Julie London 'Cry Me a River', Billy Eckstine & Sarah Vaughan 'Passing Strangers' and a few others.  May search out and post a few later.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Moved into our new home today,,now sat quietly apart from a little jig when the music of Dr Hook gets too much to sit still, The site seems to have got back to its friendly ways,,so I'm back,,

Hey, Ayup Ben, pleased to see you back and sorry you’ve had health issues but hope you settle into your new home quickly.  Did you get out before the rent man called?   Just hope that a few of th

I’d be really angry if the removal company had lost our chairs when we moved house 

Posted Images

Julie was also a film actress. and was married to Bobby Troup.. who wrote Route 66.

There's my 'Top Ten Ballads'

Tomorrow might be different.. but at least 50% would still be there.

What are yours?

9 hours ago, Brew said:

Are we doing desert island disks? which one would you save from the tsunami?

No.  I just like those songs and was mostly responding to RRs mention of Nat Cole.

I do see my top three as pretty indispensable.. but could probably come up with another list for 4-10.

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

Wot !! No David Whitfield?

Yep.. No David Whitfield.  A good singer for sure.. but too 'formal' in style to be a great balladeer in my book.

Philistines!!!

This is MUSIC!!!

I despair...:wacko:

Apparently, playing Bridge over Troubled Water to cow's can increase their milk yield by over a litre a day....

Back on topic..how do you define a ballad?

My guess, a slow song, probably sad, with an underlying positive message...

I will have to google..,

Not familiar with the majority here DJ...I will look them up when data allows...

Imagine the majority to be sterile..I lose intrest in lyrics with more than two people involved..

7 hours ago, HSR said:

Imagine the majority to be sterile..I lose intrest in lyrics with more than two people involved..

I'd reserve judgement. Also.. I'm shocked that anyone with any interest at all in popular music. including Blues, Rock and Folk.. is not familiar with most of the songs I listed.  They are all time classics.. mostly originating from the 1930's to 1960s.

As for Ballads.  I think context affects the definition.. but in the context of popular music I'd go with the last line of this.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/ballad

Of course folk songs are also often called Ballads.. and there is a whole collection of them known as the Child Ballads.. collected in the 19th C by Francis James Child.

I just went a bit daft..

Readers will know that I worship the ground Joni Mitchell walks upon.. despite all of her faults she is in the top few most significant popular artists of the last 50+ years.

So.. I have ordered new vinyl and CD releases of her earliest recorded and never previously released works..which start in 1963...

I am in danger of becoming a 'completist'.... which makes me a bit sad...

Right..

bedtime..

• Like 1

Don't be sad DJ360. We're only here once (I think) so if you don't do it now you probably won't do it at all.

I was 70 last month and have hankered after a very special (and very expensive) guitar for years. My wife and kids told me now was the time to go for it so we agreed to split the cost and bought it.

What a beauty it is and what joy when it arrived from CA.

Guitar geeks might be interested to know it's a Rickenbacker 360/12C63 a reissue and identical copy of George Harrison's which he used 1964/65. You can see him playing it in A Hard Days Night. It has a unique chiming/ jingle jangle sound. Roger McGuinn also uses a Rickenbacker 12 string on most Byrd’s recordings, notably Mr Tambourine Man which my mum and I loved.

My message to all ageing friends is “do it now before it's too late”

• Like 5

Many years ago, I attempted to learn to play the classical guitar. Too harsh on the fingers. In fact,  just as harsh as the violin which I had to learn as a second instrument at school.  A shame really, as I would love to play the lute.

I was a competent recorder player and because my interest is in early music, I enjoyed playing various pieces from Tudor times. Other than that, it's the piano these days. Much easier on the fingers...of which I have 8 and 2 thumbs.

9 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Many years ago, I attempted to learn to play the classical guitar. Too harsh on the fingers. In fact,  just as harsh as the violin which I had to learn as a second instrument at school.  A shame really, as I would love to play the lute.

This is typical of the majority of my posts on here.. somebody triggers a memory, could have rambled on about Rickey's.,.

Jill, you mention the Lute, I remember a shop, town end of Derby Rd, never went in, but appeared to stock esoteric instruments, Hobgoblin?

Go on, have a go at something. I gave away 2 of my guitars, sold me piano and bought me first banjo (5 string) last Christmas and since July can do passable versions of these well known tunes; Cripple Creek, Boil them Cabbage Down, Twinkle Little Star, Tom Dooley, Dirty old Town. All using the clawhammer style for those interested. Me bluegrass rolls are coming along nicely too. Plenty of spare time during lock-down. 

I love the banjo Willow wilson. My uncle used to play in a band in the 30s and gave me his in the mid 60s. I could never master finger picking so learned a few chords and strummed it. I loved the sound. I've watched many finger picking banjo players on YouTube and am very envious of their skill.

The Rickenbacker is a fine guitar indeed. Unlike some of the big US guitar manufacturers such as Fender and Gibson, Rickenbacker still make all their guitars in the US and the quality is tip top. I used to have a Fender Affinity Tele and for the money the quality was good but this Rick is in a different league.
I've got a little Vox modelling amp for home use. I don't think the neighbours would appreciate an AC30 lol.