Oztalgian

What are you listening to now ??

Heard of a guy over here who did just that.  Bought a church with a really nice pipe organ.  Converted some of the space to a living area and now has a really fine instrument in the front room.

It would be a good deal for a real enthusiast.  Probably cost a bit to heat though.

On 3/6/2019 at 4:18 PM, loppylugs said:

It's those 16/32 pipes that make organ music so satisfying to me.  Still takes some pretty good speakers to reproduce them to any degree, especially the 32s.  You just tend to feel those rather than hear them. 

True LL, it works on a real pipe organ with no colouration or distortion I agree but I think for me chasing it down with huge contraptions in my home will be frustrating, apart from Mrs WW's veto.

Sometime in the 80s I went to a concert in the Albert Hall Nottm. This was before they inserted that floor which cut the main auditorium in 2. I got a seat in the middle, the huge space went from ground level below the pulpit to that large curved ceiling.

The highlight of the concert was this..(this clip is of a different organ but the Albert Hall Binns did a fabulous job)

This was the real McCoy surround sound, through the seat anorl.

I realised at the time, I'll never reproduce this through speakers so I made do with what I had.:)

ps it's not bad on decent headphones.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 12:36 PM, DJ360 said:

Ship and Mitre is a great pub for choice of beers, real ales etc

The sold out O2 & Sleaford Mods superb, support came from a young all girl band from Manchester Liines, drank mostly around the train station area, the Ship & Mitre got a special visit, excellent, trip to Anfield, drove to Gormley's Another Place & walked Southport Pier (It was a proper ghost town, never seen a soul) 

D0w3lCVWkAEQwb9.jpg

• Like 1

OK. Got that a bit wrong.  Will say though that I tend to avoid Matthew St like the plague in the evening and at weekends unless I'm invited along to a show. Much too much noise from all of the 'hanger on' places.  I prefer afternoons midweek.  Will be there on Monday.

• Upvote 1

Can't get to Lynyrd Skynyrd's final tour this summer due to holiday commitments. Soooooo, it's two DVD's later, then earphones and utube whilst madam has the soaps on. 

A true to their roots band. Great songs, such as Sweet Home Alabama, The Last Rebel, Red, White & Blue, and the truly heart wrenching I Need You. All raw, emotional, soulful and some great guitar playing. 

Was watching some TV political stuff the other night by 'Our correspondent Vicki Young'...

If found myself thinking.. 'Vicki Young.. where do I know that name from?'  Eventually worked out that one of the first 'rock' 78s I acquired was this....  This is the 45.. mine was definitely 78.

The song was written by the classic Leiber and Stoller duo and the first version was by The Robins..one of the eary 'Bird' groups of black RnB 'Doo Wop' bands.  I'd be very surprised if that version was released here in any numbers in 1953/4.

Beach Boys used essentially the same for their 'Student Demonstration Time' on 'Surf's Up'

Great stuff..

For Motown lovers, the Temptations were one of the most exciting bands, both musicaly, and in their superbly choreographed stage act.

This song was a favourite for me and a certain young lady from Strelley.  We'd both been treated pretty shabbily by previous partners, and we wallowed in the sentiments of this song.  Ahh  the joys of youth..

And this..  with the ill-fated David Ruffin singing lead....a harder edged but still brilliant sound..

Shivers......

What...Now??

• Like 1