Oztalgian

What are you listening to now ??

And a couple of softer vocals.

Have a jump around your front room 

• Like 1

Been a bit reflective for the last few days...  Not got much done only thinking.

This is for everyone..

Bob Dylan Lyrics

"Forever Young"

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth
And see the light surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong

May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
And may your song always be sung

• Like 1

And I might as well add in my favourite video of all time..  a young and very beautiful Joni Mitchell showing what real songwriting is all about. Those poetic images still get me every time.

Urge For Going

by Joni Mitchell

play
Printer-friendly version of this lyric

This lyric has been formatted exactly as Joni preferred it to appear (capitalization, punctuation, line breaks, changes in wording, etc). Joni collaborated with Lisa and John Sornberger by making these changes for presentation in their book, Gathered Light.

I awoke today and found
the frost perched on the town
It hovered in a frozen sky
then it gobbled summer down
When the sun turns traitor cold
and all the trees are shivering in a naked row...

I get the urge for going
But I never seem to go

I get the urge for going
When the meadow grass is turning brown
And summertime is falling down and winter is closing in

I had a man in summertime
He had summer-colored skin
And not another girl in town
My darling's heart could win
But when the leaves fell on the ground
And bully winds came around
and pushed them face down in the snow...
He got the urge for going
And I had to let him go

He got the urge for going
When the meadow grass was turning brown
And summertime was falling down and winter was closing in

Now the warriors of winter give a cold triumphant shout
And all that stays is dying all that lives is gettin' out
See the geese in chevron flight
Flapping and racing on before the snow...
They've got the urge for going
And they've got the wings to go

They get the urge for going
And summertime is falling down and winter is closing in

I'll ply the fire with kindling now
I'll pull the blankets up to my chin
I'll lock the vagrant winter out
And I'll bolt my wandering in
I'd like to call back summertime
And have her stay for just another month or so...
But she's got the urge for going
So I guess she'll have to go

She gets the urge for going
And all her empire's falling down
And winter's closing in.

And I get the urge for going
And summertime is Falling Down.

• Like 1

• Like 2

First time I heard forever young was at the cinema, watching the last waltz.one of many highlights..love The Band"s first two albums.

Only have two Joni albums on vinyl..two copies of the first, one blotting paper cover, both Reprise. Would they be import copies? I have a copy of Electric Lady on Reprise which is an import, copy of Rainbow Bridge, and I think a couple of Creedence albums..other than that can't recall others.

Haven't had contact with my record collection since 1998..hope it's ok!

Fairport are a bit of a Curate's Egg for me.  Some good songs especially if featuring Denny, but also a lot of dross.  I saw the most recent incarnation of them inSouthport a few years back and was bored rigid most of the time.

The Joni vid above is supposed to be her very early prformance of The Urge For Going on Canadian Show 'Let's Sing Out'.. but seems to have gone a bit wonky.

So:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3EofN3Flag

4 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vLu2-gG68S0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Summat definitely went wonky Col...

We lived in Mollington, a village next to Cropredy, when we were first married. In fact (in those old fashioned days) our telephone number was Cropredy 462 ..... quaint eh?!!  When Fairport Convention had their first open air ‘do’ in Cropredy we didn’t know about it as it was a private affair in a back garden in the village and then when the Cropredy Festival became a bigger affair we’d moved closer to London and had a couple of young kids so it wasn’t something we put as a priority.   Before we had children we spent quite a lot of time in Cropredy as my husband played football for Cropredy in the local Sunday League and we’d go to the village pub, think it was called The Brasenose.  I wish we’d had the opportunity of going to the Cropredy Festival seeing as it was only 2 or 3 miles from that home but when we left Mollington in 1977 we weren’t to know and the move was all about personal ambition and progress.  

We went to see Richard Thompson a couple of years ago - don't know why.  SO boring that we left after about 30 mins

Still trying to earn a few bob but past it then Ann!  
The only time I’ve walked out of a performance at half-time was Riverdance, years ago in London.
OMG, I’ve never sat through anything as monotonous as that before or since.  

• Like 1

A neighbour.. who is also a fan of the bloody awful Yes.. had a spare ticket to see Jon Anderson at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester.  He and his wife took me there and back in their car, wouldn't let me pay for the ticket, or even for fuel and parking.  So.. apart from 'hitting the bar' as often as I could get way with. I was forced to sit politely through hours of the most pretentious pseudo 'New Age' drivel I've ever heard.  I can take a lot.. but it has to actually be music.. This was tripe.

At one point I went into the Gents and heard two other blokes loudly proclaiming it the worst gig they'd ever had the misfortune to be at.. and agreeing to head for the pub.  On top of this.. my neighbour then queued up for about an hour for a signature on the latest CD and a picture with JA.  I'm sure JA is a jolly nice chap.. but not for me...

Tedious, naive, simplistic, overlong but mostly.. boring as hell.  It's almost as bad at Tubular Bells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVHZ-SUiU_0

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Summat definitely went wonky Col...

It did.  But check out the new link and let it run.  Some even earlier performances by the lovely Joni that I've never seen before, including live versions of some of the songs from her early albums.

59 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

The only time I’ve walked out of a performance at half-time was Riverdance, years ago in London.

The last two concerts we went to in Nottingham never got past the interval for us. I've said it before the sound system and or operators are the worst I've ever heard. 

23 hours ago, HSR said:

Only have two Joni albums on vinyl..two copies of the first, one blotting paper cover, both Reprise. Would they be import copies?

The 'first' LP is just called Joni Mitchell.  But also known as Song to a Seagull.  Reprise RSLP 6293. Worth about 50 quid or more. for mint.  I have a copy on vinyl.also CD in the box set.

61UXKtMBKNL._SL500_.jpg

Not sure what you mean by blotting paper but IIRC, my vinyl copy has a 'textured' cover.

On vinyl I also have:

'Clouds'  One copy.. original UK.

61PVQSn781L._SL500_.jpg

Ladies of the Canyon UK Re-issue

41qOdrVToqL._SL500_.jpg

Blue: one UK original.. played to death. and one Reprise Re-Issue from a few years back which was disappointing.

41Hl0cBzRDL._SL500_.jpg

Miles of Aisles.  UK original.

51mr5IewJAL._SL500_.jpg

Court and Spark.  UK Original

51H1YRTuGEL._SL500_.jpg

Hejira.  UK Original

411DDH2EJ2L._SL500_.jpg

Chalk Mark in a Rainstorm UK .

51bae6s-qeL._SL500_.jpg

Night Ride Home  UK

41+9aruXRSL._SL500_.jpg

Also the CD Box Set of the Studio Albums, plus a couple of copies of Blue on CD, a copy of Shine on CD..

I could do with a copy of 'Hits'

Astonishing artist in every sense of astonishing and every sense of Artist.

One for Red.  Another song called Tightrope..  But for some reason Youtube is being uncooperative again tonight..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huHFKAslgmc

Seen a fair few bands at the Arena and Concert Hall.  The only one I couldn't stick to the end was Bryan Adams, like his music but the sound was terrible.  The RCH is a bit better soundwise, seen The Hollies, many times, The Shadows, Paul Carrack and many others. One of the best acts I saw there was David Gates & Bread, their performance and sound balance were spot on.

Although I'm getting on a bit, I really like McFly and so, in October at the Arena, earplugs ready, I'm going to sit amongst a load of screaming females and hope the music gets through!

9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

A neighbour.. who is also a fan of the bloody awful Yes.. had a spare ticket to see Jon Anderson at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester.

I can never understand why anyone likes Yes, and especially Anderson. Horrible squeaky, shrill, croaky voice 'singing' unfathomable melodies.

• Like 2

All modern, so called ‘popular’ music is rubbish. There’s no memorable melody and the words are repetitious. Of course our parents used to say that pop music of that era was rubbish back in the 50’s. Plus ca change!

When it comes to having an opinion on music, everybody eventually turns into their parents.

• Like 1

Still love music from the 50s,,,spent a lot of time at my Grandparents where my Mams sisters were still at home blasting away such favourites as Johnnie Ray,, Ruby Murray,,Frankie Lane,,Connie Francis and the like,,my Grandma was in fact a member of Dickie Valentines fan club....lol....

Used to watch all me Aunts Jiving and singing like the Beverley Sisters,,,truly happy days with my lovely Aunts and Uncles.

• Like 2