Oztalgian

What are you listening to now ??

One of the top ten greatest pop songs of all time.

• Like 2

Sorry to say it but this knocked the UK version by the Rockin' Berries into a Cocked Hat....

One for Jill Sparrow.

Another of the Top Ten Greatest Pop Songs of All Time:

Today I had a conversation with a neighbour about a song called 'Deep Purple' and he asked me who sang it.

I told him I thought it was something of a 'standard' and the first version I heard was:

But the one he remembered was:

Nino Tempo and April Stevens were brother and sister.

Wow thanks for Italia '90 Rest In Peace Big Jack x

Found a great radio station Mellow Magic, you can find it on digital.

One for the best UK blues guitarist.. Peter Green.. who left us yesterday.

RIP

Today I did a quiz for our weekly street party.  after some hints from neighbours about Motown I included several classic Detroit tunes in the music section...

Although everybody recognised the tunes NOBODY got this one as the Temptations.... several thought it was the Four Tops!!.. I mean.. much as I love the Tops..how can you confuse Levi Stubbs shouty voice with the velvet honey of Eddie Kendricks on this...?

They also thought that this was the Searchers....

I mean... really?

Oh no, I suffer from 'earworms' and every time someone mentions purple I get April and Nino going around in my head.

When I arrived in the metropolis a visit to Pearsons record department was a regular,  and the first thing I bought there was 'Bluesbreakers' , Mayall and Clapton. When I moved south this was one of the LPs I left in the attic at Trough Road, Watnall, having foolishly succumbed to CDs. Strange how teenage boys felt such affinity with cotton pickers in the Delta and meat processors in Chicago ... Elmore James, Houndog Taylor and, of course, that well known Nottingham estate agent Robert Johnson.  My current earworm, because gold was mentioned in connection with a bus, strange person, is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF9Q3hnAr88

Oh well, back to loading the dishwasher.

Far out, peace and light, B.

• Like 1

Asked Alexa (bless her) to play some fifties music and so I've been tearfully nostalgic on this rainy morning.

'Why  must I be a teenager in love?'    Ingoldmells holiday romance (if you could call it that) when I was 16 .... also called Paul (but not my Paul)

'Que sera sera'.  At 13, it never crossed my mind what I would like to be when I grew up, apart from getting married and having triplet girls!!!  I wonder what my 13 year old self would have thought if she could have seen me now .... horrified, I expect, because when you're young you can't actually envisage being old.  But I would tell her that I'm happy with how my life has turned out and wouldn't have it any other way. (Even without having triplets)

'Wake up little Susie'    Reminds me of when I was with my group of friends in Woodthorpe Park when I was about 15.    Great times listening to a portable record player , jiving in the shelter near the swings and generally dossing about as teenagers still do

'That'll be the day'.   In Filey.  Another  little holiday romance when I was 14 (all very sweet and innocent I might add).  

I'd better stop before I start sounding like ben!

• Like 3

I often ask Alexa to play 50's and 60's music. Great memories and my dad saying " oh not that again" and mum saying " put Max Bygraves on "

• Like 1

Tune 

Jennifer Warnes never disappoints.  She's been singing since the 60s and has just got better over time.  As well as her big hit duets with Bill Medley (Righteous Bros. ) and Joe Cocker ..she has collaborated with Leonard Cohen on the stunning album 'Famous Blue Raincoat'.. followed a few years later by another stunner 'The Hunter'.  'The Well' followed.. rahter more quietly but still an excellent album.  Now we have 'Another Time Another Place.'  I bought the vinyl version at the Bristol Hi Fi Show back in Feb.  Cost and arm and part of a leg but worth it. Only now getting to listen properly.   It's a delight.  An intimate a 'close up' album. beautifully recorded as Jenny always is.. terrific arrangements and great sound.

• Like 1

Slim Harpo and also Jackson C Frank, both superb and very influential..

Dylan mood tonight:.

The ultimate 'put down' song.and a mahoosive tune too.

"I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes..you'd know what a drag it is to see you" Another knockout line from Dylan!

I suppose we all think the music of our own teen years was best.. but I've heard little in the last 55 years to top this for quality.

RastaRadfordRed 

Jerry Butler.  Massively underrated in his own country and even more in the UK: An original member of The Impressions..along with Curtis Mayfield.

'For Your Precious Love'... possibly one of the earliest 'soul' songs.  1958 I think.

Next up... Jerry did this song before the Walker Bros.

And this.. with Betty Everett.. possibly better known by the Everlys.  Originally a French song I think... written by Gilbert Becaud et.al.

Proper stuff!!

Yesterday I went to do some shopping in the local supermarket but before I went in I inserted another cd as I was fed up of hearing the same one for short local, journeys. When mum came to live here she brought with her a load of boxed cd's along with singles . She never played them here and I've never opened the box they were in. Sorting out the other day I took some of these cd's and put them into my car. The cd that started to play was Nat King Cole. Yes I know it's old and maybe not to anyone's taste on here but driving along albeit for a short distance it was extremely relaxing. My husband said listening to NKC years ago helped him to learn English as he was so easy to understand. Must sort out the rest of these cd's I know there are some classicals amongst them.

• Like 2

Few years ago I attended a funeral of someone I had known for years, the 3 songs they played where all Nat King Cole which he had requested, we had discussed & played music & attended gigs over the years, I was shocked he had never mentioned his love for old Nat.

• Like 1

I would put Nat Cole's version of Hoagy Carmichael's 'Stardust' easily into my 'Top Ten Ballads'  along with Ella's 'Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye', Johnny Mathis' 'Misty', Julie London 'Cry Me a River', Billy Eckstine & Sarah Vaughan 'Passing Strangers' and a few others.  May search out and post a few later.

Julie was also a film actress. and was married to Bobby Troup.. who wrote Route 66.

There's my 'Top Ten Ballads'

Tomorrow might be different.. but at least 50% would still be there.

What are yours?