Oztalgian

What are you listening to now ??

Didn't know we where still posting these? I had stopped thought they where annoying folk?

My Daughter does come along to see what I'm posting & who I'm bothering :biggrin:  this is for her, simply wonderful x

RR somehow I got it into my head that I would be hearing a string version of this as Picnic is shorthand for this movie.

What I got was a very relaxing piece of music. Most suitable after the frustrations of England trying to get Steve Smith out at the end of the Aussie Innings.

7 hours ago, radfordred said:
7 hours ago, radfordred said:

Didn't know we where still posting these? I had stopped thought they where annoying folk? 

Only if you don't like other folks choice of music. They often remind me of long forgotten people and places and to listen to stuff I would not normally choose

Just been listening to some gems by the late great Alvin Lee. Nottingham born guitarist and founder of Ten Years After.

Try listening to 'Bluest of Blues'. Absolutely stunning soulful and bluesy with George Harrison on slide guitar in the first break. 

I must admit to never being a big fan of George's playing, but this was mindchanging. Guitar based blues at its very best.

• Like 1

A lengthy video.. but it explains the way Graham Nash moved on from the Hollies and joined two other band leavers. Stephen Stills and Dave Crosby.. to form Crosby Stills and Nash..

Crosby Stills and Nash.. from their first album...  The Hollies were a terrific band.. but this was another level...

This music was interwoven with life in that period..

On 7/11/2019 at 8:43 PM, FLY2 said:

Just been listening to some gems by the late great Alvin Lee. Nottingham born guitarist and founder of Ten Years After.

Try listening to 'Bluest of Blues'. Absolutely stunning soulful and bluesy with George Harrison on slide guitar in the first break. 

I must admit to never being a big fan of George's playing, but this was mindchanging. Guitar based blues at its very best.

His Dad was an Engineer on the site at the bottom of Southglade Rd when they were tunnelling through the hill to make a drain across to the Leen via Boowul Common. I had a couple of chats with him.

I have Alvin's last album.. which I think is called 'Further On Down the Road'..  Must dig it out. 

So much music.. so little time...

• Upvote 1

I've just sent for Pure Blues by Alvin. Some absolutely glorious stuff on it. 

• Like 1

Had 'Down to the River', the debut CD on in the car all week of the Allman Betts Band, formed by Devon Allman, (Greggs son) Duane Betts, (Dickeys son) and Berry Duane Oakley, (Berry's son)

The Allman Brothers, they'll never be, but nevertheless they're a great band with hopefully, a great future in store for them. As long as they steer clear of the tragedies, the substance abuse, the infighting, the dodgy business dealings, and all the other dubious sides of the music industry.

All in all, a great album, and hopefully they'll carry the flag for Southern Rock since the demise of the Allmans.

Just 'Earwigging'  a Sky Arts prog about the Mamas and Papas whilst posting here.  I can't be the only old Fart here who was besotted with Michelle Phillips back then... She was gorgeous. but Mama Cass had a better voice and was a better 'mover'.. on stage.  Like most white bands of the period, they casually 'covered' songs by black artists without so much as a 'by your leave'.. (Dedicated to the One I Love.. Originally the Shirelles I think)  But a couple of their songs are timeless and they represent a unique cople of years in musical history..  Dig!

• Like 1

Cass Elliot had one of those voices that was once heard never forgotten, along the lines of Joann Baez and Judith Durham just to name a couple.

Here are two of my favourites.

• Like 1