Oztalgian

What are you listening to now ??

Well Willow.. it just goes to show you're never too old to learn something new.  Despite a pretty healthy interest in, and knowledge of, Phil Spector and his various protege groups etc., I had no idea that song was done by the Ronettes.  I've never heard their version before and it doesn't appear on any of the Spector compilations or group albums I have.  Nice one!!

P.S. It gets stranger.. I've just dug out my copy of this album...

71SFVG6BxPL._SS500_.jpg

And there on the end of Side 1...

118986573-2.jpg

I bought that album in York in 2012, along with a similar vintage one by the Shirelles. Both very nice 're-pressings'.  For some reason I've never got around to playing them.. but I will tonight.. :)

Also interesting to note some of the musicians listed on the album.  Leon Russel..Sonny Bono.. the ubiquitous bassist Carol Kaye.. and the rest reads like a 'Who's Who?' of American musical history.  Fab stuff.

P.P.S.

Just found these two albums in my record rack...

crystals_0020_he_0020_s_0020_a_0020_rebe

220px-Shirelles_tonight's_the_night.JPG

I really must concentrate more....  :blink:

Down South Jukin' CD on in the car this morning. Another fine rendering from Lynyrd Skynyrd.

• Like 1

Songs from another time..

1950s harmony..  I thought this stuff was 'naff' at the time.. but I've since learned different..

Rockin!!

• Like 1

... and miming.   But the sound was good!

• Like 1

Love it.. and as a bonus I've noticed that one of my fave songwriters Jackie De Shannon part wrote 'The Great Imposter'.  A very talented lady who has been singing, songwriting and broadcastng since she was 6.  That's 72 years!

The Great Imposter has some pretty 'naff' lyrics..  '..and she's soon to join the roster.. of the great imposter'.. but it's a gem from that period.

Jackie also wrote 'Come and Stay With Me' for Marianne Faithful in 1965.

..and recorded it herself in 1968..

I think this recording may be later.  Her voice sounds 'older'.  She re- worked a lot of her early songs on a 2011 album called When You Walk In The Room... which I really must get.

It may be songs from another time DJ but having three older sisters it's the music I grew

up with and brings back fond memories.

• Like 2

More songs from another time..

Bruce Channel first came to UK attention with this.. his massive world wide hit from 1962..  I can't hear it without seeing a mental image of an old, now deceased school friend on the stairs in High Pavement between lessons.. singing this at the top of his voice. 

This is the original.. 'un messed with' version.  So simple.. but so affecting.  The icoic harmonica is by Delbert Mc Clinton and is often credited with inspiring the harmonica part on the Beatles 'Love Me Do'.

I do recall there being a Re-issue called 'Hey Baby '68'.. but I think it was just a re-packaging of the orignal.

Bruce gave us another song to use in the 360 Club dance sessions.. with this gentle rocker in 1968.

Another one we played....  Mr Bus Driver didn't chart here but we picked up on it somehow.. :)

Fab stuff...

• Like 1

Billie Davis..  She first hit with her cover of US band The Exciters' 'Tell Him'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2hUS7EBTUA

Next.. for me was her superb version of 'Angel of The Morning'.. which knocked all others 'into a cocked hat'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXZqdEAPR9U

Finally.. her version of a very old song by numerous artists.. which would have been huge but for strike at Decca Records when it was issued..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3bTmq72olg

Dig...  :)

New un from me mate Jason & filmed in Nottingham.

Paul Carrack.. (Local lad from Sheffield)  Eyes of Blue..

Wonderful song...

Actual footage from the 360 Club with DJ Col in residence!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWxZWF80hs0

Or nearly...  :)

2 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Actual footage from the 360 Club with DJ Col in residence!!!

Oh Dear! Bubble gum music in all its' glory and all the "manufactured" groups The Archies, 1910 Fruitgum Company, Ohio Express and of course early on The Monkees.

And not forgetting Kasenetz Katz Singing Orchestral Circus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OiljaInq4g

Yep.. we thought it was all a bit naff too, but we played such stuff 'ironically'.. and the kids loved to dance to it.  ;)

• Upvote 1

Watched the video for all of twenty seconds then spotted the Queen of high energy music. Didn't notice what the concert was but the song was Proud Mary, at the end of which a screen notice came on "Congratulations Tina Turner on your 80th birthday". Incredible, 2 days ago, 26th November, she was 80! 

We’ve seen Tina Turner 3 times in concert, she was absolutely brilliant.  A lot of us had been convinced for 50 years that  we’d seen Ike & Tina Turner at the Dungeon in the mid-60s but have been proved wrong since the Dungeon Diary has been reproduced, it was Charlie & Inez Foxx who we saw, they were very good anyway! 

We’ve seen Tina at the old Wembley Stadium in 2000 in what was billed as her final tour.  Then we saw her in 2008 in Miami and the same show in Sheffield in 2009.  Her retirement announcements encouraged us and thousands of other fans to get tickets but it was money well spent, she’s simply the best .....

’Tina the Musical’ is well worth seeing  too, thoroughly great entertainment. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I saw her Alton Towers. Halfway through she said 'at my age you have to take a little rest', sang one song sitting down and she was off again. No one cant strut quite like Tina.

Peter Andre was the support act.

I aways loved Tina.  I loved some of her less well known hits with Ike too.. including these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkGMpVj95Z0

So Fine not an original by Ike and Tina, being originally a 'Doo Wop' song but I can't remember by who..

And this... not to be confused with a similar title by the Temps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UotZFwItym0

P.S. I'm at a loss to know why I can't get the videos to show 'in line'.

16 hours ago, LizzieM said:

We’ve seen Tina Turner 3 times in concert, she was absolutely brilliant.  A lot of us had been convinced for 50 years that  we’d seen Ike & Tina Turner at the Dungeon in the mid-60s but have been proved wrong since the Dungeon Diary has been reproduced, it was Charlie & Inez Foxx who we saw, they were very good anyway! 

We’ve seen Tina at the old Wembley Stadium in 2000 in what was billed as her final tour.  Then we saw her in 2008 in Miami and the same show in Sheffield in 2009.  Her retirement announcements encouraged us and thousands of other fans to get tickets but it was money well spent, she’s simply the best .....

’Tina the Musical’ is well worth seeing  too, thoroughly great entertainment. 

Loved Charlie and Inez.  'Mockingbird' is a unique tune.and they had other good ones too.. such as 'Hurt By Love' etc.

Other notable soul type boy girl acts from the time include:

Jimmy Holliday and Clydie King:  Big hit was Ready Willing and Able, but they had others.  Clydie passed away a year or so back.

Peggy Scott and Jo Jo Benson. 'Pickin' Wild Mountain Berries', 'Lover's Holiday' etc.,

I may post some later.  Off out now...

Judee Sill had a terrible life.. involving drug abuse.. criminality and prostitution..

But she wrote this.

All big tunes down the 360! 

Dig!!!

Best known here for 'Barefootin'.. Robert Parker also had this simple but effective dance tune.

And this .. complete wit loony dancers They are compulsory on US music vids... :laugh:

360....  Miss those days so much...