Historical Photos of Nottingham

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2018 at 11:44 PM, LizzieM said:

Loppy, there’s a photo of me and a friend standing somewhere in Netherfield with that big concrete thing in the background, I always thought it was a monster when I was little!  I’ll try to find it and post. 

Here you are Loppy, the concrete monster is further away than I remember on the photo.  

F93-C4098-F3-D4-4-F69-8-F30-50-E6-D728-B

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Good picture, Lizzie.

I'm just wondering from the angle if it could have been taken in the fields along the road to Stoke Bardolph.  The rise of the background to the right of the picture reminds me of the rise up to Colwick woods.

4 hours ago, loppylugs said:

Good picture, Lizzie.

I'm just wondering from the angle if it could have been taken in the fields along the road to Stoke Bardolph.  The rise of the background to the right of the picture reminds me of the rise up to Colwick woods.

I believe you’re right on location Loppy, can’t think there would have been a field like that in any other direction from Netherfield and we were taken down to the river quite a lot ...... a country walk away from the dullness of Netherfield! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Yes, it helps a bit CT.  I'm thinking Stoke Lane would be just a bit further out than the map shows.  The area I'm thinking of would be an area of fields and sewage ponds that would be on the extreme right of the map if it went out that far.

Edited to change left of map to right.  I don't even know me left from me right.  Lol.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Demolition of ‘the Monster of Netherfield’. I’ve just nicked this off a Facebook site called Pictures and Memories of Nottingham.   

1-B900-CE1-7713-464-D-8-ECF-D2-D508-BE24

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The dark haired one on the left Beekay.  I wouldn’t be seen dead with a ribbon as big as my friend’s!!   All little girls had ribbons in their hair in the 50s :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Hope you didn't mind me working on your PIC. Cropped it, sharpened and enhanced it, then put a vignette on. I will remove it from my tablet if you wish. B.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

I don’t mind Beekay, but the Netherfield Monster has been missed off :biggrin:

Your picture of it was better.

Ooooh, I think we're approaching dangerous ground here, if one member can alter another members picture. 

It could have all sorts of implications.

I didn't alter it , Fly, I just improved it. I WOULD NEVER ALTER ANYBODY'S PICTURE WITHOUT THEIR EXPRESS PERMISSION OR REQUEST.

I have updated loads of old pix , family photos etc. at the request of owners. Usually very old photos that are worn, ripped, faded etc. I did ask if Lizzie minded and said I will remove from my tablet. I don't doctor pix.

• Like 1

The very thing that the pic was posted for is now missing. Surely that should have been retained. 

Also, in view of recent events on NS, regarding plagiarism and copyright, it could be deemed a mite risky. 

Oh give over FLY.  You’re not serious surely.  I don’t mind what Beekay has done to the photo, it’s a technique that I’ve seen done on many Facebook photos that have been posted.  Not a problem and thank you for improving the photo Beekay.  

• Like 1
On 12/13/2018 at 4:56 PM, MargieH said:
...dreaming, till all my dreaming comes true

searching, I'm always searching, hoping I'll find
someone, someone who needs me

Used to love that song.    It has a real yearning in the words which really appealed to the teenage Margie with all her life ahead of her......  

I'm pretty sure the song is called " Dreamin' ", sung by Johnny Tillotson

• Like 1

Dreamin

was sung by Johnny Burnette

first record i brought was "Poetry in Motion"  by     Jonny Tillotson

So sorry Mary, you are of course dead right !!  Don't know my Burns from my Tills. Sincere apologies to all parties, ( you too Margie :sorry:).