Alderman William Derbyshire school

On 11/19/2018 at 1:56 AM, Brut33 said:

Do you know why Alderman Derbyshire was not on the schools list? Seems very odd. 

I was there in Blenheim house 1971

Mr Peters was the woodwork teacher, had better eyebrows than thunderbird puppets

Mr Wardman was the music teacher

Mr Turrent was headmaster

Mr Scotney was english teacher and died very young

Had my TB jab in the library 

School assembly was cancelled due to other religions in the school

Had the same gym and metalwork teachers

The concorse had most of the classrooms of it

The concrete was degrading and so the place was pulled down shortly after I left

I remember glen birkin being a really funny guy and played golf with him once

My french teacher was the only surviving member of his squadron in the RAF and used to cain us with his slipper (Oswald) used to have a frog on his desk with a peppermint on his mouth

But forgot his name

Such a long time ago

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Eric. You sure it wasn't your fault they pulled it down? I never went to a posh school, so I don't know.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys interesting memories there , i am David sheridan , lived on grindon crescent bulwell hall and attended alderman.w.derbyshire school from 1970- 

1974, i was an easter leaver back in 74,

I remember mr foister P.E teacher bouncing a medicine ball off me head for clowning around, i remember mr Edwards we called him "Eddie " used to send a couple of boys to the shop to buy ciggies for him , mr reed , mr harrop, and mr Belshaw and mrs appleby ? Or mrs downey english teacher 

Of the pupils i remember Chris radford my old side kick, nigel staples, ian redgate , Michael sears and andy sears , think one got killed in a motor cycle accident ? 

I remember lindsey binks , but the sexy one was a blonde bombshell called sharon rook , lovely bird ,  also remember sammy buckley ,  stuart colson , andy gun .

There was a large Radford family in Bulwell that had Chris as the youngest (Ralph, Brian, Maureen, Paul, Steve, Rob, Dave and Chris).

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

There was a large Radford family in Bulwell that had Chris as the youngest (Ralph, Brian, Maureen, Paul, Steve, Rob, Dave and Chris).

Thanks Engineer that's the Radfords I'm talking about , i went to school with Chris radford at alderman.w.derbyshire school 1970-74 , used to drink with chris and Rob in the pubs of bulwell horse and jockey mainly , also remember Malcolm mee , and his brother can't remember his name though might of been micheal,  did you live in bulwell yourself ?

On 11/18/2018 at 9:32 PM, philmayfield said:

There was some consternation at the time when the school was named after a living councillor. My enduring memory of him was seeing his toupee blow off as he was climbing the Council House steps. He chased and managed to retrieve it.

That would of been a giggle to see, hope it was a right windy day !!!!

@David sheridan

Do you remember a girl named Jane Smith (not the most memorable name in the world, I know) who would have been at Ald W D at the same time as you and left in 74.  She went to Berridge Primary and although Ald W D wasn't one of the choices of secondary schools from Berridge, her mum particularly wanted her to go there.

No Jill i don't recall a Jane smith , but there was a girl call jennifer giles , she used to come upto bulwell hall park to watch the lads play footie, i used to show off abit as she would bring her younger sister as well Melanie giles i had a big crush on her , some of the lads i played footie with were , nobby clarke, timmo timson, Paul farrow, any of them names ring a bell ? All live grindon crescent area .

David, I lived in Bulwell during the 70s.  I didn't go to AWD but some of my younger siblings did.  I knew Rob Radford; he used to drink in the Oxford in later years.  He died in 2019.

As for the Mee family, could it have been June, Malcolm, Melvyn, Paul, Karl, Denise, Karen and Mark?

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the info T E , yes it was Malcolm mee , i remember him chasing round the pool table in the horse and jockey pub because i told a joke he didnt get !

Yes i remember Rob drinking in the oxford pub , i think that must of been his local , saddened to hear he passed away , hope Chris is still alive he was my school mate , used to call me ya little jockey , as i was mad on horseracing. 

Remember Rob standing outside the oxford wearing a  blue shirt in the summer , do you know how old he was  TE  ? 

The Radfords were a big family weren't they ?  If you see any of the radfords especially Chris , give my condolences please. You can call me Dave , what can i call you ?

On 10/2/2019 at 5:41 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Welcome to NS, Eric. Sounds like there were a few eccentrics at your school. We love school stories on NS and would love to hear some more.

Hi Jill, i remember at alderman.w.derbyshire school , i was about 16 getting ready to leave at easter , we had an english teacher which i feel sorry about now , as we used to give her an hard time , one time i was being foolish , and she said don't be so facetious,  and told me to stand outside the class , she stormed out , took me in the little store cupboard and said take down your trousers , well, i thought that's a bit kinky miss isnt it ? 

But she smacked my legs so hard they were still smarting at the end of the school day , i deserve it , sorry mrs Appleby !

• Like 1

Ya shoulda gone to Radford boulevard little sis ! It were, "survival of the fittest".

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Alderman William Derbyshire school