Alderman William Derbyshire school

I have to admit I'm not completely sure how this site works yet, but I'm quite surprised that Alderman Derbyshire school in Bulwell doesn't seem to be on this list of Nottingham schools. I realise that through the last years of its existence it was in special measures and had some awful press. But why isn't it represented on this list?

I was there as a first year the very first year it changed from an all girls school to a comprehensive in 1970 and left in 1974. It wasn't wonderful but probably fairly average for 1970's education in Nottingham. I certainly didn't dread going there every morning (perhaps some mornings lol) 

The head teacher was Mr Turrent (may have spelt that wrong) There was Mr Foister the sports teacher, Mr Edwards (poor Mr Edwards (English) had a lot to put up with) Mr Reed (tall Mr Reed RE) Mr Belshaw my form teacher for a while. Mr Harrop (Metal Work) and many other's that I can't quite bring to mind at the moment. 

Pupils included Paul leatherland (long blond hair looked like Brian from the Sweet) Dean Smith Pauls mate. Louis Curtis the first guy I sat next to on day one. Robert Evans, Richard Hunt (long hair looked like a hippee became a close friend of mine after school finished. Lee Ramage (Rampage) Nicholas Read one of my mates at school. Evan Sorosski (almost definitely spelt wrong) he was almost never at school, I remember a teacher writing missing presumed dead on one of his reports. Glen Birkin, excellent footballer, Michel Prescott (don't think he became an MP) Peter Butters who I copied my first decent hair cut from, when I finally got away from the side partin. Maurice Staples (the haircut I didn't copy), Loads more and I'm sure the names will come back to me. Oh Keith Hull he was a great guy and became me.

The girls well lets think, the one that sticks out above all others was Lindsay Binks (still gets my heart raising and for all the wrong reasons) Loretta Lowe (excellent athlete) Margaret Brodie, married Paul Marshall I think. Julie Thornton (surname not 100%) but I went out with her briefly, she was a year maybe even two below me when I was a Fifth year (cradle snatching I know) but she was tall and very pretty and looked older, she had a friend and I'm ashamed to say I can't remember her name but she had a glass eye, someone must remember her. There was also a lovely girl called Michelle who I really fancied she was the same age as me, quite athletic and we used to chat when i lifted weights in the gym just before the end of school in 1974 I remember doing the classic thing of carrying her books home along St Albans rd until we parted and she crossed Bulwell common, I'm guessing she must have lived on Rise Park or there abouts. 

Anyway far too much blabbing from me, perhaps someone mentioned could reply, I'd love to trade a few memories.         

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Brut33. Hope you'll enjoy the site.

Look forward to reading more of your memories.

I went to Manning with a girl from Bulwell. Her name was Denise Chambers and her parents owned a butchers shop on Coventry Road. She was born in 1958 but had a younger brother who may have attended Alderman Derbyshire. His name was Christopher.

Hello Jill.

Do you know the name does ring a tiny bell, but I couldn't be 100% sure. I've decided to write my autobiography to leave to my children and grandchildren, nothing especially exciting but I think it's important for them to know what life was like back then to how it is now for them as so much as changed. My father sadly died aged 64 and I regret deeply not talking to him very much about his past, he was in WW2 and I know very little about that also. So I didn't want that to be the case for my future generations hence to story. 

• Like 1

Excellent idea, Brut33. I persuaded both my parents to record their childhood and school memories, in addition to their war years. In fact, I've done the same with most of my relatives. It was a very different world...and fascinating.

So let's be hearing more of yours! :rolleyes:

58 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

It's possible that it may have been discussed on another thread...Bulwell, for instance. I'm sure I have seen it mentioned. Cliff Ton can probably shed further light!

The only light sheddable is to say that there hasn't been a thread on the subject because - perhaps surprisingly - no-one has ever landed on Nottstalgia and wanted to mention Ald. Wm Derbyshire School.

Some schools are more obscure than others - Cantrell Road for instance - but I admit I'm surprised to find Derbyshire hasn't come up before.

Neither my primary school nor my secondary school is listed on here, but I've accidentally found two others from Arno Vale Primary (one who was in the same class as me!) and at least 2 from Carlton le Willows.  

• Upvote 1

Part of the beauty of being on Nottstalgia (for me anyway) is coming across people you have had some sort of connexion with years ago.    Gave me much pleasure when 3 cousins contacted me,,who i had not seen since thee 50s.

Also two Grandsons of men i'd worked with in the 60s at Marsdens,,plus people like Trogg and DJ360 who knew many of the same people from Bestwood Estate,,from way back.

• Upvote 1

Only kidding! Loved every moment of my time there apart from Mrs Lockwood's first year class. I got sixpence on two occasions from Mr Turner in the final year for knowing the Five Towns and the Cinque Ports. General knowledge of useless facts has always been my forte. ;)

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Part of the beauty of being on Nottstalgia (for me anyway) is coming across people you have had some sort of connexion with years ago.    Gave me much pleasure when 3 cousins contacted me,,who i had not seen since thee 50s.

Also two Grandsons of men i'd worked with in the 60s at Marsdens,,plus people like Trogg and DJ360 who knew many of the same people from Bestwood Estate,,from way back.

I’ve enjoyed Nottstalgia for a few years now and like Ben I’ve had the good fortune to re-connect through the forum with a few people from my teenage years.  Having spent 30 years living in the Home Counties and only having time to be with my parents when I visited Nottingham, I lost touch with friends I’d spent time with before I married and moved away.    

I’ve  posted this newspaper cutting before but don’t know if it’s still on here.   Hippogirl and I are in this group of athletes at Harvey Hadden Stadium in the mid 60s.  We didn’t know each other at that time but we’re now firm friends, thanks to Nottstalgia. 

30-CD25-AA-25-F9-4-E1-E-8-BF2-0-B6419227

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

I’ve  posted this newspaper cutting before but don’t know if it’s still on here.   Hippogirl and I are in this group of athletes at Harvey Hadden Stadium in the mid 60s.  We didn’t know each other at that time but we’re now firm friends, thanks to Nottstalgia. 

Did we ever establish - or did you ever admit - which ones are you and HG in the photo ?

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

Did we ever establish - or did you ever admit - which ones are you and HG in the photo ?

I think when I posted it before, (must be a couple of years ago) there were a few guesses as to which lovely little innocent girls we were :rolleyes:

But anyway, Hippogirl is 3rd from the left on front row and I’m next to her, looking over her left shoulder.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
15 hours ago, hippo girl said:

OMG Lizzie .....you should post a more recent one of us when we weren't as fit and had a glass of wine in our hands !!!! 

It's such a long time since you last posted here, there will be quite a few new people wondering who you are !

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

It's such a long time since you last posted here, there will be quite a few new people wondering who you are !

Hope you all well and behaving yourselves .....TBF I get updates from Lizzie and nothing escapes me !!!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, hippo girl said:

Hope you all well and behaving yourselves .....TBF I get updates from Lizzie and nothing escapes me !!!! 

:Shock:

• 6 months later...

Hello karen58.  Were you at Manning with us? I recall a few Karens...or Kaarrrens, as Mrs Wheeler was apt to call them.

Chris Chambers posted on here under the Chambers Butchers thread but this was some time ago. He told us he'd emigrated to Canada, as had Denise.  I last saw her briefly in Nottingham around 1976/7. Often wondered what happened to her.

If Denise and Chris both emigrated to Canada, did their mum go with them?

If you were at Manning, you may remember Kathryn Smith another of my friends from school. Her death at 16 from an undiagnosed appendicitis was an absolute tragedy.

Do tell us more about yourself and your memories.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Alderman William Derbyshire school