Cantrell Rd School, Bulwell, Nottingham 1964 to 1970

I have to say I'm finding this site a little strange as two of the three schools that I attended were not on this list of Nottingham schools? Could someone explain this to me? The Previous school I just entered 'Alderman Derbyshire' in Bulwell must have had literally thousands of pupils pass through it's sorry doors between 1970 and the year 2000 alone, why has no one set up a discusion page about it? Or has there been one and it's been removed??? I don't get it.

And the same with Cantrell Rd school. that's been around since 1948 and is still open, where is the discussion forum for it??? 

Anyway that aside, Cantrell rd I went there as an infant in 1964 when I was five, at some point we were moved to Highbury (possibly Highbury infant school) all I know is that it was on Albert street (which doesn't exist in Bulwell now) that school had two air raid shelters in the playground, outdoor toilets and a room we went to watch BBC education programs in. I'm pretty sure while we were at Highbury the decision was made to demolish the schools and we were moved back to Cantrell rd where I stayed until moving to Alderman Derbyshire in 1970. 

I remember a few names from Cantrell rd including Elizabeth Leverton bless her she was heart broken when she accidentally knocked the classroom Goldfish off killing the fish, some of the class toe rags (and there were a few) used to tease her and whisper dead fish in her ear and get her all upset again, poor thing, hope you are ok now Lizzy. I also remember Neil Drury and his mate 'something' Hallam can't remember his first name, only that he was removed from the school, I don't remember his mate fondly!! Teachers Mr Richy with his stick insects he was very nice, Mr Anderson who was less nice, he used to write too quickly on the blackboard and then start wiping it off before you had time to copy it down. I hold Mr Anderson responsible for my awful handwriting to this day. The head was Mrs Eyre Jane actually, yes our head was also a novel by Emily Bronte.

Anyway if you were at Cantrell between 1964 and 1970 I would love to hear your memories and add a few more names to the list.           

• Like 1

I remember an Elizabeth Leverton from The Manning. You would seem to be slightly younger than myself, Brut33 but I'm not certain that Elizabeth Leverton was in my year.  There was also a Julie Breakspear who lived on Cantrell Road. Ring any bells?

Brut33, all the threads on different schools on here, were started by an ex-pupil. If a school hasn't been listed, it just means no one has started/attended that school.

• Like 1

Hello Jill. I'm sure there is/was only one Elizabeth Leverton she most likely went to Manning after Cantrell, was Manning an all girls school back then or a Grammar school perhaps? I'm sure she didn't follow me to Alderman Derbyshire (lucky for her lol) I would have thought she was quite intelligent, I remember and god knows why I do, she had very dark hair cut in a fringe. 

Although I have mentioned a number of names from over fifty years ago, I'm not generally that good with names I'm a faces person. I saw a guy on BBC's Bargain hunt a few years ago who I instantly remembered from fifty years previous, my partner thinks I'm a male witch being able to do that. I always joke that I never forget a face but never remember a name to balance it out.

Julie Breakspear also sounds familiar and if shes 58/59/60 she would have almost certainly have gone to Cantrell and I would have seen her.

It's a pitty people don't put their faces on this site as that would help tremendously and it would also be useful if the women put their maiden names. 

So what's your story Katyjay. How did you end up in Trumpsville? And how and why are you part of Admin for a site about Nottingham. Should I guess that secretly you long to be back in town..I'm joking of course. 

Keith        

Yes, Elizabeth Leverton had very dark hair. I recall now that she was in my house group, St David's 5, but in the year below.

Manning was, at that time, a girls' grammar school. That was the official title but those who went there mostly beg to differ.

I rarely forget names and, when I look at all my old school photos which are black and white, I can see in my mind's eye the colour of the clothing everyone is wearing. Strange, I know, but I have something called synesthesia which means that I see letters and words in colour and seem to remember colours. It has something to do with synapses in the brain and probably means someone dropped me on my head when I was a baby!  :wacko:

• Like 1

Brut, long story short, we upped sticks and bought a motel south of the Grand Canyon.  2nd long story short I am Admin because I have been on the site a long time. It also annoyed the heck out of someone who was later banned. Not because of that I may add. Of the 2 other admins, 1 lives in Missouri!

I have often thought Haywood School on Perry rd Sherwood but thought no one on this site went there. Only Mrs Chulla and we stayed friends all these years. Have also known Katyjay a long time too.

• Like 1

Nonna, we are on the same photo in July 1975. Barbara's b/d party. Then we ended up living in Radcliffe at the same time. Many moons ago. Funny how we both left the UK.

• Like 1

Hello Jill. It was I as thought then, Elizabeth passed her 11 plus, I'm glad she did as she would have found Alderman Derbyshire a real challenge. Synesthesia would have been no use to me as I'm colour blind, all my memories of people would have been in miss-matched clothing lol. I don't know if you ever saw it, but there was a brilliant series on the BBC in 1996 called The Mind Traveller with Prof Oliver Sacks all about neurological issues like yours, you can find it on Youtube. I've read a couple of his books including an Anthropologist on Mars (not about Mars at all) and The man who mistook his wife for a Hat, both about neurology something I am very interested in.

You may remember the 1970's series Taxi with Danny Devito. The female lead in that series Marilu Henner has a really rare weird condition in that she remembers every moment of her life and can tell you what she was wearing on the 24th Of November 1983 if you asked her, along with what she did all though that day, who she spoke to, what the conversation was, everything.

Hello Katyjay. I'm all for annoying previous leads. I was a lead on a community website here in Warwickshire (Small village mentality around here I'm afraid) When ever I tried to introduce anything new and interesting some miserable toerag would complain, didn't think it was funny, not what the site was for. I once made a comment ending with the Badgers arse comment, but not only didn't I say arse, I didn't say bottom, I actually said Nose.  The comment I got back was "I am an animal lover and I don't think we should be cruel to Badgers!"  I knew it was time to step down lol.

Motel south of the big hole hey my goodness that's quite a leap from old Nottingham City. I only managed fifty miles although I do have a place in Cornwall where I spend a fair chunk of the year. 

I guess the problem with this site in Multi media everywhere else, Facebook, Twitter none of which I use, but I should imagine that is where people are going to chat about schools, jobs etc.       

• Like 1

Yes, it is surely the same Elizabeth Leverton. I wouldn't feel too pleased for her. Manning wasn't a good experience for many of us.

The mind is a strange thing indeed. I had already been taught to read before I started school at 4 years old and can recall having a meltdown because there was an alphabet chart on the classroom wall. To my brain, the letters were all the wrong colours! The teacher probably thought I was barmy...and perhaps she was right!

I guess at the end of the day it was the early 70's and schools were all still in the dark ages. There was still corporal punishment at Alderman Derbyshire and I received both the cane and the slipper! The caning by the head was totally unjustified. The class was waiting outside the music room after lunch for the Teacher to arrive. One of the class morons, of which there were many, decided it would be fun to set off the foam fire extinguisher and spray it around, I didn't manage to avoid getting 'foamed' and the head suddenly appeared grabbed several guys including me just for getting soaked and caned all of us.I wonder if I can still sue?

Having said that in many ways I wish corporal punishment was around today as there is absolutely no respect for teachers any more, by the pupils and a lot of the parents. One of my son's is a teacher but teaches 6th form Psychology so that's not so bad. One of my Daughter in laws teaches younger children it isn't good. My Daughter was also an English teacher until she started producing Grand Children, she taught in some really rough schools, not sure if she'll ever go back.     

There was caning at my primary school, Berridge, and many teachers had multiple rulers with which to rattle knuckles, ears, etc. I was never on the receiving end, not because  I was an angel but because staff thought I was!

At Manning there was no corporal punishment. It was psychological warfare!

I think Margie will verify that we never had the cane at Arno Vale. Certainly not for the girls. We did have a sadistic teacher in the final year who was fond of hitting you on the palms with a ruler. I had it a few times and I think even a good girl like Margie might have suffered.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I think Margie will verify that we never had the cane at Arno Vale. Certainly not for the girls. We did have a sadistic teacher in the final year who was fond of hitting you on the palms with a ruler. I had it a few times and I think even a good girl like Margie might have suffered.

Yes, I got slapped on the back of my legs once with a ruler by that teacher but I never thought he was sadistic, Phil.  I liked him no more and no less than most of the other teachers at the Arno Vale.   I really liked Miss Lee when I was 6 but was very frightened of Mrs Lockwood the previous year.  

Thanks Cliff, I've just had a look and amazingly I've found a class photo from around 1965 ish (I'm guessing) From Highbury infant school and I'm on it!! The problem is it is more than the .05MB so I can't upload it at the moment.

Ignore that .05mb thing. It's stupid and nobody knows how to use it.

To upload photos here, you need to use one of the free hosting sites. Take your pick  -  

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=free+photo+hosting+sites&oq=free+photo+h&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.6108j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The favourite used to be Photobucket but they started charging, and others are probably thinking about it.

I'd like to know that one too Brut !! Must be something beyond my comprehension. Let me know if you find out. (Mind you, I'm sure my guardian angels will come to our rescue.)

On Postimage you need to register for a free account. Then you click on the little cloud icon with the arrow to upload and browse your photos to find the one you want to upload. Postimage only has access to those photos you upload - not your entire collection.

Once uploaded, click on the photo and then on the share icon. Out of the list of gobbledegook that comes up, click on the little icon that looks like a folder at the end of the “Hotlinks for forum...” line. This copies the “address” of your photo.

In Nottstalgia, type out you comment/reply in the normal way, then press CTRL and V to paste the address into your reply. If your using an ipad, just press and hold where you want the photo to appear until the little menu bar comes up, then select paste.

When you post your reply the photo should appear.

Sounds complicated, but it’s not really. If you have trouble, I’ll post a step-by-step instruction list. Hope it works okay,