Query?? About Old Radford

Whilst I have been perusing picture the past, I came upon a picture of Douglas school, Harvest festival, 1957. Among the toddlers on there I could swear I saw my youngest brother John. He is sitting on the bottom row. WHAT A SUPRISE !! Also there was a written article by a Val Jayacoddy who talked about Christ church garden, that used to be on Ronald street. She mentioned about playing in the unkempt side of the grounds and finding some money in the old wall. That really was a shock as I was the miscreant who knocked the brick out and found the dosh. In the rush of kids, I got the princely sum of 1/3d. I can only think that it must have been an very old donations box set in the wall. Did anyone else live around there between the late 40s to 1957? It really took me back to those days. I still bear the scar from injuring my leg on an old broken gravestone. Cheers everybody. B.:shout:

• Like 1
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes BK, there are several 'experts' on here. Cliffton finds photos DavidW will search newspaper archives Ann Swaby is the person to help on ancestry queries Carni is the cake exper

Dont care who is reading this thread, it's my Birthday and I'm 75 ! so there, I am now going out to the garden centre for a silk cactus and cup of coffee, then maybe shop for my zimmer frame. Have a g

BK, you can usually rely on CT to dig deep and find relevant info and photos.  

That Val person you mention posts on one of the  Nottingham Facebook sites -  can't remember which one (can CT, Katyjay or Lizzie remember which one as I know they - and others - aren't exclusively faithful to just Nottstalgia!).   If you find her on there, you'd be able to share with her about the money found in the wall.

Unfortunately I don't go on Facebook and I've never even heard of William crane site. How does one investigate?? And thank you all for your help and support, Barrie.thumbsup

Search online for Facebook and then register with them - it's fairly straighforward.  When you are on, use the little search box for the sites that Katyjay mentioned.  I rarely post anything on my own page - I just look at groups, and sometimes comment on them

I didn't realise until an old school friend told me a few days ago that Berridge pupils who didn't pass the 11 plus (lucky sods) had a choice of 3 schools: Peveril on Robinswood Road,  William Crane on Minver Crescent and Ellis Guilford on Bar Lane. My friend had run into one of our old classmates who went to William Crane.

5 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Search online for Facebook and then register with them - it's fairly straighforward.  When you are on, use the little search box for the sites that Katyjay mentioned.  I rarely post anything on my own page - I just look at groups, and sometimes comment on them

Found you on Facebook. Like the cute tabby cat! :biggrin:

I have no friends Margie. Knowing where you live from your rememberance posting last week and knowing you're a mover and shaker at the Baptist church it wasn't difficult to trace you! I did a lot of investigatory work many years ago when I was an accountant. The internet makes things much easier!

I'm losing the plot on this one, AGAIN ! I once signed on Facebook a couple of years ago, sent an hello to my cousin in Alberta and within a couple of minutes I was inundated with hundreds of pictures of peoples dogs (Malvon Shiloh's). All from folks I've never heard of. I think I was on Facebook for about 15 minutes. B.

1 minute ago, philmayfield said:

I have no friends Margie. Knowing where you live from your remembrance posting last week and knowing you're a mover and shaker at the Baptist church it wasn't difficult to trace you! I did a lot of investigatory work many years ago when I was an accountant. The internet makes things much easier!

I'll be your friend Phil.xlips0

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Whilst I have been perusing picture the past, I came upon a picture of Douglas school, Harvest festival, 1957. Among the toddlers on there I could swear I saw my youngest brother John. He is sitting on the bottom row. WHAT A SUPRISE !! 

This one ?

NiRAhaW.jpg

• Like 1

Yes CT. He is the 4th from the right. I emailed my sister in law with the PIC and she thought it was as well. Blimey you were on the ball.

Well done !! B.

You need to create a Facebook account before you can access the Nottingham groups.  Once you are on Facebook you can contact the people who post on there.

Like I said earlier, I was on Facebook for about 15minutes and was snowed under with pictures I've never heard of. I think the phrase is, you friend someone, then you get bombarded with unwanted pix from their friends. When I contacted my cousin I got hundreds of pix of Malvon  Shiloh dogs. Couldn't get off quick enough !! B.