What can you remember

Just sat here thinking what has gone of in my life time (not that I'm ready to kick the bucket just yet) so I thought throw this open to members,

just a few pointer's

1/  TV  BBC ITV COLOUR 

2/ First Heart Transplant

3/ C5

4/ Amstrad computer (well like a computer)

5/ Tranny Radio

6/ Sputnik / first dog in space/ Man landed on the moon

7/ 100 years since WW1 

8/ Trolley Buses gone

9/ From vinyl 75/33/45/rpm to CDs

10/ from  £ s d real money to decimal 

these are but a few, please add your own bits of history, please try and not repeat. Lets see how far we get and how much we remember.

My mum having a co-op number which was put thru till when you made a purchase, can still remember it and queuing up to get the divi. Winning a goldfish at the fair .

Putting shillings in the meter.  Liberty bodices!  Selvedges being cut off wallpaper at the shop, charge - 1d per roll.

Having measles during the winter of 1962/3!

Teddy Bear, Twinkle and Bunty annuals for Christmas.

Muffin The Mule

Steam Trains

Massive Christmas selection boxes

Foggy mornings

The Co-Op Christmas Grotto

Tony Hateley and Jeff Astle

Bonfire Night on the 5th November 

Boots D10 in the 60s

Dad's pork pie ritual on Christmas morning

Old Spice

Mum smelling of peppermints when we went out

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveN said:

Pirate Radio

There are still two radio ships operating Dave N.  Radio Seagull operates from the former lightship "Jenni Baynton". During the winter it broadcasts from Harlingen in Holland but during summer months it can be found out in the North Sea. It is now licenced and transmits on 1602Khz medium wave and on the internet at www.radioseagull.com   Radio Caroline still uses its ship "Ross Revenge". The Ross is a former 'Cod wars' trawler now based in the estuary of the River Blackwater in Essex. It is now licenced and uses the former BBC transmitter at Orford Ness on 648Khz Medium Wave and also online at radiocaroline.co.uk  Most rtansmissions are from a Gravesend studio but one weekend per  month they man the ship and in conjunction with Manx Radio, transmit on 1368Khz Medium Wave using the Manx 20KW transmitter on the Isle of Man.  You just missed the November broadcasts. There is a special on New Year's Day remembering Radio Caroline North and have invited listeners to submit 1960s memories of Caroline North to "memories@radiocaroline.co.uk" with the words: New Year in the subject line.

Don't want to be picky Mary, ( OK.. I do..  ;) ) but it was 78/45/ 33.  And strictly speaking the bulk of 78's weren't vinyl because they were actually made of ground slate, mixed with shellac and carbon black.. although some 78s, particularly from the Pye group of labels ( Pye/Nixa/Emarcey/Mercury) were made of vinyl.  have quite a few of them.

Some of my memories.

- First TV I saw.. in a neighbour's house, probably about1952.    Andy Pandy.

- Bending a privet twig into a loop and collecting dewey cobwebs from the hedges on the way to school.  To make a 'mirror'.

-Policeman coming to Primary School and giving us a Road Safety 'slide show'. I think his slides featured a dog called 'Spot'

-Old buses with the driver in a separate cab.  Looking through the glass from behind, watching him driving and being fascinated with the little brass fire extinquisher that was always there in the cab.

-Cod liver oil, concentrated orange juice and a big spoonful of Malt, every morning.

-Drs Reid, Stilman and Murray at the surgery in Bulwell, who would actually come out to see us when we had measles or whatever.

-Co-op Bread deliveries.

-'Mr Sanderson' a very old man with a very old horse drawn cart who came around selling fruit and veg.  He kept his horse etc., somewhere down Park Lane way I think.

-Co-op veg round.

-Hiring a boat at Highfields.

-Mr Burgin.  The Chimney Sweep.

Col

• Like 1

Use to use a fountain pen at school - no biros

Eggs in paper bags

Some shops closed on Thursdays

Buses had no doors (except the driver's

Postmen delivered mail twice a day

Wrist watches were windup - no batteries

Party line telephones

Gas at the dentists if you were having extractions

Queuing at the doctors - no advance appointments

Dad making the coal fire in the morning.

Walking to school in all weathers. 

Lumpy school custard.

5 shillings pocket money.

Cricket down the entry and on the street

Swings on lamposts

Men with shiny suits

People with dandruff

Trousers with turn ups

Bagatelle game

Box Brownie cameras

Fur coats and mink stoles

Ladies wearing headscarves

Bingo was called housey housey

Brylcream and antimacassars

Patent leather shoes that split

Blakeys and Seggs

Babies breastfed in public

Busses with wooden slat seats

Trolleys made with pram wheels

Beano annual on rollerskates

Making slides on the ice

• Like 1

First  Kiss

First day at school   1950

First Pets    Tom the Cat......Floss the Dog

First Date     proper one  , 1959

First Forest match......1953  v Clyde

First visit to Trent Bridge cricket........Grandad took me 1950 ish.

First Shoplifter caught  1967 Sherwood

First Football match for school..........Henry Whipple v Highbury  1954

First Holiday  ,,boarding house Rhyl  1950

First Time abroad.........Majorja 1971  with Ladies Darts team :rolleyes:

Just been though the post many thanks DJ360 about the records must admit  I'am  not the sharpest  needle in the pack.                                                                                                                            

When I put the post on I was thinking of history sorry if I mislead you all (see quote above) not the sharpest needle in the pack, 

But must give our ben 10/10 for his quotes. My first kiss was outside a café in Winthorpe Skeg, his name was David !!!!!!!! and he had a little hairy mole just under his nose and it use to tickle. now stop it!!!  Ben your getting me carried away.

now a few more

Concord

hovercraft 

apple no! not the one that you eat

Apple computer.

• Like 1

On old rear entrance buses....being on the front seat downstairs and looking through the window to watch the driver in his cab.

Standing in the window sill - behind the curtains - in the living room on bonfire night watching the fireworks going off.

Waking up every few minutes on christmas night to see if the sack at the end of the bed was now full rather than empty.

2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

First  Kiss

Started young and just kept going, din't yer  :biggrin:

First kiss ending up with the ladies darts team.  Lol.  And that was only 1971.

You forgot to mention your first liberty bodice.  I'm sure our Jill will remind you.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

Dad making the coal fire in the morning.

5 shillings pocket money.

Coal fire in the morning and five bob to spend! Your dad must have had a really well paid job, Stav miduck ....I had a tanner a week and the coal fire was not lit until 4pm, in time for dad to come home from work. :)

1 hour ago, AfferGorritt said:

Christmas starting on 24th December

Happy days! I have just berated my daughter-in-law for having Christmas decorations up already. By the time Christmas day comes the kids will be bored with the whole thing.

My father coming home from the RAF in his demob suit and trilby hat. Toast made on an open fire and spread with dripping. The winter of 1947 and seeing the floods come to just below the Midland Station. Going to stay at Chapel Point in an old green wooden caravan. Going to Mablethorpe on the train. Walking with my father to the off licence facing the bus depot in Sherwood and getting beer and Tizer to make shandy.  Making toffee in a flat tin from condensed milk. My mother lighting a fire beneath the copper in the kitchen. Walking to school at a very young age without parental supervision. Putting pennies on the railway line to flatten them. Squeezing through a gate in the railings to get into Woodthorpe Park after hours. Walking up to and over Mapperley Plains to Lambley Dumbles. Playing in Mapperley brick yard and catching newts in the pond. Sunday school in the church hall behind the butcher's shop near Thackery's Lane roundabout. Valley Road Rec. and wading under the bridge in the Day Brook by the Five Ways pub. I could go on! It seems we were free to wander anywhere in those days as long as we were back for meals and bedtime. I'm very much the same now!

The 5 shillings was money from my Saturday job that my mum gave me back after I gave her my wages. Before that we didn’t get pocket money. When I started work full time I got the princely sum of £4.50 a week, got £1 of that back. Those were the days!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

First  Kiss

Ben what division were Forest in 1953 and who are Clyde?

• Like 1