IAN123.

3 randoms.

On 2/9/2019 at 1:37 AM, IAN123. said:

Photographed from Fine Fare..Parliament Street in a 1960's scene..the wall to the railway below being prominent.45577678-2506860859330165-89916757139248

In 1969 there was a very nice cafe/tea shop in the road beside this walled in part of the railway. I believe it was a Greek family business and I cannot remember what the tea shop was called. Lovely place. I would call in there when I had come from Coventry on the bus.

• Like 2

Costa, Shirley..he ran the Palace Coffee Houses.

His Son in Law Cliff then ran The Acropolis in Bulwell.

• Like 2

The "cows under Clifton bridge " picture,they would be going to the "Prince of Wales farm" for milking, I remember seeing a cow walk across the river (city side) and climbed the bank the other side, would be around 1964, not very deep there

Rog

• Like 2

Rog, your comment about the Prince of Wales Farm brought back a few memories. i used to go fishing up there quite often. Had some great days fishing in the river just behind the cows in the picture. The Raleigh AC had the fishing rights at the time.

• Like 1

I remember the Raleigh waters well, cought plenty of Dace there, "shilling for a day ticket, tanner for the lad" hempseed barred, no bait fishing

Rog

I was a member of the Raleigh AC and fished a few of their matches. They also have a fabulous stretch of river at Thrumpton. Wonder who has the fishing there now?

Construction of Trinity Square Carparka6220804cf068d83b23379b9a6c30db9-notting17ATO..awaits boarders for the 28.

• Like 1

Eh !, What do they use that for?, Surely not doing tour's of the cemetery are they?.

• Like 1

Ex Bus Drivers?...ask my mate...a Hobgoblin van would suit me ...full!

Can't wait to get me laughing gear around a pint of that...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waddo said:

When Lymm's were on Bath st, i think they used Rolls Royce motors for 'duties'. Do they still use them?

Lymns  have 18 Silver Rolls Royce cars, all with a personalised number plate featuring a number 1.   

They possibly have the biggest fleet of Rolls Royce cars in the UK. 

The old London bus is used for lots of different events, It’s not particularly in the fleet for bus drivers funerals. 

• Like 3

We used Lymms for 3 funerals (mum, dad and oldest of my 2 brothers). We had a beautiful old black (don’t like the silver) Rolls Royce. We had a lady called Jane who organised everything for us, in fact after the first one we asked for her. Couldn’t fault them, was a problem getting the car for one of them but she sorted it out. Cant fault them they were brilliant at a terrible time.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I knew the old Mr Lymm and his son in law Mr Rose quite well when I was apprentice in a garage on Sneinton road, all his Rolls Royce car were ex embassy cars with the exception of the hearse of course, I was offered a job working for them by the old Mr Lymm as driver mechanic as I had done some work on their cars, don't think I could have done the funeral bit,ok with the mechanical side though,so didn't accept the job offer, 

Rog

• Like 1

I owned this old Daimler in the late 80's - it was handy if you'd had a heavy weekend - just sleep it off in the back !!

20190329-111758.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just get out quickly if you see that you're approaching Bramcote Crem.

7 hours ago, plantfit said:

I knew the old Mr Lymm and his son in law Mr Rose quite well when I was apprentice in a garage on Sneinton road, all his Rolls Royce car were ex embassy cars with the exception of the hearse of course, I was offered a job working for them by the old Mr Lymm as driver mechanic as I had done some work on their cars, don't think I could have done the funeral bit,ok with the mechanical side though,so didn't accept the job offer, 

Rog

I'm going for a ride in one of their RRs next week Rog, NOT the hearse tho I hasten to add !  smile2

We had one from Lymns as our wedding car many years ago - again not a hearse. My wife’s uncle drove for Lymns and he much preferred funerals to weddings. ‘All that confetti to clear up’.

Reminds me of the time when I was waiting for the manager of the garage I worked at to arrive and open up,there was two of Lymms Rolls Royce outside also waiting to fill up with petrol,one limo and one hearse, I asked one of the drivers if I could have a go in one,at that they bundled me up and put me in the back of the hearse and promptly drove off up Sneinton road,there was I trying to sit up in the back,driver and his co pilot laughing their heads off and the general public wondering what the hell was happening, never asked them again, by the way Old Mr Lymm would only have Major two star petrol put in his Rolls Royce's

Rog

• Like 3

The good old 'leaded'stuff that smelt totally different, and better, than today's stuff, or is it just me that used to like the smell of petrol ?

• Like 2

Not very good when you got covered in it,changing fuel filters, cleaning carbs,repairing fuel pumps, started off ok but after a time it got a bit nauseous, but I know what you mean

Rog

• Like 3

The new version ..never as good.2-NTGM007253.jpgI was down Bridgeway last week - 20/1 winner in me lucky spot.

Got a Mansfield bitter beer mat..with Bomber & Colin Barrets autographs..Have to visit the loft again!

• Like 1