IAN123.

3 randoms.

6 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

I must say I dont know anyone who is “obsessed” with these tv shows perhaps they are ex-pats trying to blend in? I do occasionally watch then if nothing else is on as I find some of the stuff people buy (and so called experts rave about) is hillarious. But still one mans junk is another mans treasure so who am to judge.

Perhaps not quite obsessed but, looking online at the UK TV schedules it appears that the number of 'antiques' programmes had burgeoned since the days of Antiques Road Show and Arthur Negus - there's an almost unending supply of them now in the morning with sections on that ghastly This Morning show, whole dedicated shows at lunchtime, mid-afternoon, late afternoon, evening and so on.

I'm sure it's these programmes that encourage 'the British' to seek out the tat-fests that are becoming more and more common here.

It's fine for the local tatmongers, I'm sure but it's not good for my firewood! (that last was supposed to be a joke - there are vast forests here to provide ample fuel).

• Like 1

Can't  recall if it was jonab..ages ago that mentioned the shop on Mansfield Rd.

Paraphernalia.

I well remember Scurrs. Piles of tat outside, I think it had aspirations to be a junk shop.

Dad once got a set of spanners from there, don't think they were antique though, not from Korea.

• Like 2

Pretend vanadium TBI..glad i got a glimpse of the Star Of India. Mick2Me and Fog...mention it in past posts.

• Like 1

Yes Ian, I reckon those 'vanadiums' were zamak. Got me thinking though, I wouldn't be surprised if mam's still got a few in her tool tin which she took charge of when he passed. Neither would chuck anything away.

• Like 1

Chrome vanadium from other countries translates to case hardened cheese.

• Like 1

I've also got some one legged spanners, that at the time were a bargain!!!

• Like 1

Cast of Crossroads in the Square..forgot all about Benny and Sandy etc..11146570-421562908005074-729937586729477

• Like 1

We had a quest via jonab for the Shing Fat...and found it..not seen a decent snap of the Chinese Restaurant next to the Crystal Palace.2-NTGM000116.jpg.Anyone sample the stilton sarnies in the 'Clumber Lounge'?

• Like 2

Thanks for the photo of Bobs Spares Ian, on the corner of Alfred St Central and Northumberland St, about 100 yards from the Commo ancestral home!

• Like 1

Empire Cafe on Forman Street..great Double Egg & Chips..became Punchinello's.51415156-2660912290591687-89894213886704

• Like 1

Peeking up at The Peach Tree..1962757-993773493972250-8396911377629355..from Theatre Sq.subway..great wash and brush up in the Gents here.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Commo said:

Thanks for the photo of Bobs Spares Ian, on the corner of Alfred St Central and Northumberland St, about 100 yards from the Commo ancestral home!

Hi Commo, did you know the "Larvin' family who lived a couple of hundred yards south of Bob's spares?.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 2:38 AM, IAN123. said:

We had a quest via jonab for the Shing Fat...and found it..not seen a decent snap of the Chinese Restaurant next to the Crystal Palace.2-NTGM000116.jpg.Anyone sample the stilton sarnies in the 'Clumber Lounge'?

Yes. I was something of a regular for the Stiltons sandwiches - either there or at the Bell

Waddo, afraid not, we lived in Comyn Street from 1947 until 1954 and didn't get to know many folk who lived in Alfred Street apart from the Blands who owned the chippy, Richard was a mate of mine, and the Pecks, Jenny went to Shelton St school with us, her Dad stood in local elections as the Communist candidate.

Waddo..read your post to Commo..and the Larvin name is familiar..but with my Brothers who were born in the early and mid1950's.

John Larvin played snooker ..may have been in the Cadets?

The Lundy family from the Medders i also recall.

Cheers Pev..most likely not a lady thing..but those wash n brush ups under Theatre Square were only 10p!

Towel and flannel, bar of pink or green soap. Our kid and i availed quite often. ..after a scrap or ..since we had no ensuite..save for a basin or Belfast sink to get clean after grotting through old slums tatting for gold to flog on Arko ..if we arrived ditched..no fish supper from The Queens Fish Bar...

Ian, it's probably the same family, there was a lot of them. My dad used to play snooker with one of them I'm sure, but only across the road from grans cafe, the Admiral Dundas. It was only Pat Larvin that I remember (somehow i always seem to remember the women) she used to work for my dad. The Lundys i don't recall, even though I went to school down the 'medders'.

• Like 1

On 3 February 2019 at 5:30 PM, TBI said:

I well remember Scurrs. Piles of tat outside, I think it had aspirations to be a junk shop.

Dad once got a set of spanners from there, don't think they were antique though, not from Korea.

I knew Liz Scurr, her parents ran the shop and they lived in West Bridgford.

Wally Engles on Mansfield Rd..brilliant shop..made Mr.Trebus look tidy.

Bits & Bobs Emporium on Greg Boul...

• Like 1

1950's view of Nottingham.994387-775868825762719-385646065-n.jpgSt.Marys, High Pavement Church, Parliament St.Methodist..i'll leave the chimneys to Waddo.

60547-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgThe Wesleyan Church, Sven Books and the phone box used for jonabs discovery!

• Like 1