IAN123.

3 randoms.

Some great images you found there Ian. Thank you. Radford Baths - went there regularly when I grew out of the tin bath :biggrin:

Wilford power station - wonder if those generators were built at Stafford GEC? Wonder if we build any big machinery in the UK any more?

• Like 1

Cheers Terry..that is the first photo i have seen from inside Wilford Power Station...i will do a bit more snooping.

Ian.

Those cooling tower's are in a bit of a state now, but will probably be ok, with a bit of maintenance, until they are dropped. They have had a lot of work done, but although costly, was only superficial!!

• Like 1

Worked ROS..on contract work..looks like that bloke on tower 2 has mashed his tea in a milk bottle.

Have any cooling towers ('fat chimney's' as my young daughter used to call them) ever been converted to other uses. Maybe theatres or studios? Even residences?

• Like 1

I wonder..my time there was lugging gear..those steam filled towers were interesting...acoustics could be good?

PP not so much the cooling tower's, as structurally they are not suitable. Over the years though, some chimneys have been converted into various types of accommodation.

Edit, not living space as such, accommodation is probably the wrong word, but you get my drift.

The timber interiors of the Ratcliffe cooling towers were replaced with plastic some years back.

On a recent visit to the station I note it's now guarded 24/7 by Ghurkas!

The Labour Exchange on wilford Rd/ Castle Boulevard..thankfully  i wasn't in this one.47c54635b9cfa56f350bb1f619014f33-notting

2 hours ago, Brew said:

On a recent visit to the station I note it's now guarded 24/7 by Ghurkas!

It's been like that for quite a few years now, at least since the tree huggers tried to get in!!

On 1/20/2019 at 10:34 AM, IAN123. said:

TBI might recognise the locale.Note the Sunday paper seller..tucked a few copies behind the drainpipe ..for the passing motorist.e9f87027f23646866a65602cbf5e4e77.jpg

A great picture, Ian. That's the old police building but it hadn't been used since before the Rectory Rd station was built. That was all demolished, with the house to the left, around 1960 I'd think. The area directly behind used to be a cricket ground and a football pitch.

• Like 1

Thanks TBI..a splendid looking building..very similar to the Police Station in Carrington..must have been some load on that delivery bike.

Yes, looks like it. I seem to recollect the newspaper sellers used to be on the opposite corner by the bank.  That would have been a few years later though.

• Like 1

The Manager of the TBI was a regular at  the Camelot Club..trying to remember his name..small chap with glasses..always in a 3 piece whistle.

So was Garfield Sobers. Saw him on TV today at the start of the first Test. Hardly recognised him, real skinny now

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My my Lizzie, for a lady, your interest and knowledge of cricket is unsurpassable !

Not really FLY, but I’ve always loved cricket since my dad took me down Trent Bridge as a little girl.   I used to play too!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

The Manager of the TBI was a regular at  the Camelot Club..trying to remember his name..small chap with glasses..always in a 3 piece whistle.

Dunno, Ian. After my time, as was the Camelot. I left the fair city in 1974.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TBI said:

Dunno, Ian. After my time, as was the Camelot. I left the fair city in 1974.

Oh ok, if Camelot wasn’t open in late 60s then I’m sorry for wrong info.  Must have been Calypso I’m thinking of, it was on High Pavement. Every time Camelot has been mentioned on here I’ve thought it was the place I went to a few times, thanks TBI for putting me right. 

The Calypso Club was actually on Byard Lane, near the top on the left, and was three floors up. The only time I went was after my 20th or 21st birthday pub crawl. A very uninspiring place, and expensive bottles of lager.

I didn't enjoy my short visit, especially being on my back outside, with a gorilla straddling me !  :rotfl:

I can remember the Hippo club, I think  that was on Byard Lane, late sixties, I think it was in a basement though.

I also remember going in the Cabin club, a lady called Madge ran it, it was the publicans club, open when the pubs were shut. Met some right rogues in there !  That was on Clumber Street, above some shops on the East side.