IAN123.

3 randoms.

This was Pearson & Son on St.James's Street...any connection to the large store?52860-1-280-99999-unpad.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:19 AM, IAN123. said:

Skinner & Rook on Clumber St.68845-1-640-640-FFFFFF.jpg

What a picture W H MAY my engagement ring was brought from here £23 00 plus a free china tea service with it, but the weirdest thing is my mum who married in 1936  also had her engagement ring from here and YES! she also had a china tea service with it. Not long after we married we ask the family for tea, while mother and mother in law were washing tea pots my china tea service slid off the draining board, but I did get my own back as when mum passed away their in her cupboard was her china tea service, which I have to this day.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Mary..in the mid 40's my Dad purchased a watch from W H Mays..40 years later my Dad walked in with the same watch and said to the young lad:

" Bought this 40 odd years ago , and it's stopped!"

At first the the Sat'dee lad thought my late Dad was being serious.

They did repair it..and to this day it's sits proudly on my wrist..smart occasions.

• Like 2

Sadly i don't recall locos on Bulwell Common or abouts..i was reduced to scrambling.bulwell-common-old16.jpg

16408149977-4395b80568-b.jpgNot forgetting the fantastic engineering that went into the Railway in these parts.

• Like 1

Don't care about Gobel warming

"Bring back steam trains" 

the younger gen don't know what they have missed. 

Nothing like ridding on the foot plate of a steam train.

Putting you head out of the window and getting the bit of soot  in your eye.

RIP    STEAM TRAINS.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Union of South Africa coming to the North York Moors railway this April, we'll be there !     Its' last showing before permanent retirement.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Don't care about Gobel warming

"Bring back steam trains" 

the younger gen don't know what they have missed. 

Nothing like ridding on the foot plate of a steam train.

RIP    STEAM TRAINS.

Going through a tunnel and having to close the windows to keep out the soot !!!

• Like 1

Black and white photo of the footbridge..4574723234-15cf405564-b.jpg1970's..Basford Fabs in the background.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 4:50 PM, mary1947 said:

Siting in one of the first carriages after the tender and if the windows were open getting wet when they lowered the scoop into the trough to pick up water on the go. Or in one of the last carriages in winter where the steam heating was not that effective.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jonab said:

I've always classed "antique shops" the same thing as junk shops but having a hiked up price.

This British obsession with 'antiques' (promoted by low-budget, low-quality, big audience TV shows) has spawned loads of junk shops and flea markets opening up down here where the most unbelievable tat and rubbish are sold - mainly to the British.

Yes, the markets themselves are not new but the number of them and the dreck quality of items on sale has reached rock bottom. Only yesterday I saw several old wine cases, which were worm-eaten and literally falling apart, on sale at €20 each. These are things that were given away and which I used as kindling.

About 40 miles from home we've got Hemswell Antiques Centre who advertise themselves as the largest antique centre in Europe. See their website. In general they sell quality stuff but very few bargains are to be had these days as the dealers can check comparative items on the web and price accordingly. There are some places which tend to sell house clearance stuff. There's a couple in Horncastle. There you can find piles and piles of absolute tat. The centre in Heanor is not much better. They are very popular for an afternoon out though - very much like garden centres. One man's junk is another man's antique it would seem.

6 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

I must say I dont know anyone who is “obsessed” with these tv shows perhaps they are ex-pats trying to blend in? I do occasionally watch then if nothing else is on as I find some of the stuff people buy (and so called experts rave about) is hillarious. But still one mans junk is another mans treasure so who am to judge.

Perhaps not quite obsessed but, looking online at the UK TV schedules it appears that the number of 'antiques' programmes had burgeoned since the days of Antiques Road Show and Arthur Negus - there's an almost unending supply of them now in the morning with sections on that ghastly This Morning show, whole dedicated shows at lunchtime, mid-afternoon, late afternoon, evening and so on.

I'm sure it's these programmes that encourage 'the British' to seek out the tat-fests that are becoming more and more common here.

It's fine for the local tatmongers, I'm sure but it's not good for my firewood! (that last was supposed to be a joke - there are vast forests here to provide ample fuel).

• Like 1

Can't  recall if it was jonab..ages ago that mentioned the shop on Mansfield Rd.

Paraphernalia.

I well remember Scurrs. Piles of tat outside, I think it had aspirations to be a junk shop.

Dad once got a set of spanners from there, don't think they were antique though, not from Korea.

• Like 2

Pretend vanadium TBI..glad i got a glimpse of the Star Of India. Mick2Me and Fog...mention it in past posts.

• Like 1

Yes Ian, I reckon those 'vanadiums' were zamak. Got me thinking though, I wouldn't be surprised if mam's still got a few in her tool tin which she took charge of when he passed. Neither would chuck anything away.

• Like 1

Chrome vanadium from other countries translates to case hardened cheese.

• Like 1