IAN123.

3 randoms.

I've also got some one legged spanners, that at the time were a bargain!!!

• Like 1

We had a quest via jonab for the Shing Fat...and found it..not seen a decent snap of the Chinese Restaurant next to the Crystal Palace.2-NTGM000116.jpg.Anyone sample the stilton sarnies in the 'Clumber Lounge'?

• Like 2

Thanks for the photo of Bobs Spares Ian, on the corner of Alfred St Central and Northumberland St, about 100 yards from the Commo ancestral home!

• Like 1

Empire Cafe on Forman Street..great Double Egg & Chips..became Punchinello's.51415156-2660912290591687-89894213886704

• Like 1

Peeking up at The Peach Tree..1962757-993773493972250-8396911377629355..from Theatre Sq.subway..great wash and brush up in the Gents here.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Commo said:

Thanks for the photo of Bobs Spares Ian, on the corner of Alfred St Central and Northumberland St, about 100 yards from the Commo ancestral home!

Hi Commo, did you know the "Larvin' family who lived a couple of hundred yards south of Bob's spares?.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 2:38 AM, IAN123. said:

We had a quest via jonab for the Shing Fat...and found it..not seen a decent snap of the Chinese Restaurant next to the Crystal Palace.2-NTGM000116.jpg.Anyone sample the stilton sarnies in the 'Clumber Lounge'?

Yes. I was something of a regular for the Stiltons sandwiches - either there or at the Bell

Waddo, afraid not, we lived in Comyn Street from 1947 until 1954 and didn't get to know many folk who lived in Alfred Street apart from the Blands who owned the chippy, Richard was a mate of mine, and the Pecks, Jenny went to Shelton St school with us, her Dad stood in local elections as the Communist candidate.

Waddo..read your post to Commo..and the Larvin name is familiar..but with my Brothers who were born in the early and mid1950's.

John Larvin played snooker ..may have been in the Cadets?

The Lundy family from the Medders i also recall.

Cheers Pev..most likely not a lady thing..but those wash n brush ups under Theatre Square were only 10p!

Towel and flannel, bar of pink or green soap. Our kid and i availed quite often. ..after a scrap or ..since we had no ensuite..save for a basin or Belfast sink to get clean after grotting through old slums tatting for gold to flog on Arko ..if we arrived ditched..no fish supper from The Queens Fish Bar...

Ian, it's probably the same family, there was a lot of them. My dad used to play snooker with one of them I'm sure, but only across the road from grans cafe, the Admiral Dundas. It was only Pat Larvin that I remember (somehow i always seem to remember the women) she used to work for my dad. The Lundys i don't recall, even though I went to school down the 'medders'.

• Like 1

On 3 February 2019 at 5:30 PM, TBI said:

I well remember Scurrs. Piles of tat outside, I think it had aspirations to be a junk shop.

Dad once got a set of spanners from there, don't think they were antique though, not from Korea.

I knew Liz Scurr, her parents ran the shop and they lived in West Bridgford.

Wally Engles on Mansfield Rd..brilliant shop..made Mr.Trebus look tidy.

Bits & Bobs Emporium on Greg Boul...

• Like 1

1950's view of Nottingham.994387-775868825762719-385646065-n.jpgSt.Marys, High Pavement Church, Parliament St.Methodist..i'll leave the chimneys to Waddo.

60547-1-280-99999-unpad.jpgThe Wesleyan Church, Sven Books and the phone box used for jonabs discovery!

• Like 1

The Sherwood Rooms.18698496-1759862384030020-67534911083546Anyone recall Shades of Gray?

Last performer i saw was Gregory Isaacs..circa 1982.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

i'll leave the chimneys to Waddo.

A bit before my time, but at a guess, I'd say wilford power station in the distance but not a scooby about the octagonal one at the front, sorry!

• Like 1

Daft as it sounds, furse didn't do many smaller stacks in Nottingham. It was Stan Allan at basford that mainly had that luxury!. They also did the stack at 'Shippos'.

• Like 1

The Hand In Heart on Derby Road..that is a newish facade..me Mam took shelter in the cellars here one night during the war.310050-655257404490529-94439247-n.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 1:19 AM, IAN123. said:

1950's view of Nottingham.994387-775868825762719-385646065-n.jpg

Is that the Peach Tree bottom right? The chimney bottom left, I guess, is in the Evening Post complex. 

If my memory serves me well, and it may not here, that clock bottom right on the Evening Post building was removed from the Guardian Journal building and installed here in the early 60s. (Maybe earlier, not 100% sure).

• Like 2