IAN123.

3 randoms.

58547.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpg1950's in the square..feeding the birds.51422.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgThe 40 heading for Wells Road, Fine Fare & Boots on Parliament Street.Now occupied by Boots Chemist ( 6.shop)..i used to know most of the nations branch numbers.61955.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgThe Jolly Higglers..next door was La Roche Butchers, famous for hot faggots which were eaten in the cinema.

• Like 2

Just found it! Horne's Castle.4f418b9b766e7327c331256aeb473b95.jpgstrange i always thought it was on the other side..in this gap..where the cars are parked.99f18e7ed394e0876ff7a93f84208166.jpg

I never went in the club, it was there late seventies. A few bus drivers went in there, it was good for a late drink.

Number 6 terminus..........Arnold road,, outside the rent office.................Carolyn lived near there,,    28 terminus end of Leybourne    Sandra lived near there,,.........18 terminus was Edwards lane....................God knows who lived there.........lol

On 12/18/2018 at 8:14 PM, benjamin1945 said:

Number 6 terminus..........Arnold road,, outside the rent office.................Carolyn lived near there,,    28 terminus end of Leybourne    Sandra lived near there,,.........18 terminus was Edwards lane....................God knows who lived there.........lol

It was Katie...and if you knew her she was two timing me!

• Like 1

Lovely girl PP,,   lol

• Like 1

Great bit of history there, I reckon late '39 or 1940, the AFS was a make do and mend outfit at first but these lads have uniform. 'Heavy' civvy car (requisitioned) towing a trailer pump. Ladders fastened to the roof. Brilliant.

Nottingham was one of the most pro-active cities for wartime fire precautions. Somewhere down Trentside, there was a huge pump station to send water up a large emergency main to the City. I think that's been mentioned on here before. Long gone.

There were 10,000 gallon underground tanks under the pavements in the City centre. We used to go and top them up every 6 months, 20 odd years after the war ended !  There was one somewhere near the Black Boy. Really heavy 2 part lids with a 1" diameter brass screw in one corner to ID them. 

Probably still there...…...

• Like 2

Cheers Fog...think it was Peveril that told me about those tanks and fireponds..would love to know more..ian

The biggest underground tank was in the middle of Canning Circus. That, and one of the 10,000 gallon ones on Elliot Street were using during the Dakins fire, Jan 1969. 

Most emergency water tanks -EWS- were surface things made of square section shuttering panels. The soft , smaller ones, were temporary ones put up as required to pump water over a distance,  or at a fire when a temporary tank (called a dam) was set up to feed water from various directions so a pump at the fireground could draw water from it, a buffer supply basically. There were even flat bed lorries with soft tanks on the back in case of water main damage. ( mobile dam units).

The metal built surface tanks would freeze up in winter and kids would play in them in summer, I have read reports of children drowning in them. 

Never seen a photo of an EWS in Nottingham, some evidence was left after  their removal as EWS was painted on nearby walls, in a big white circle, with arrow to its' location.

One remained on a wall in Hull until the early eighties, proudly kept by the grocery shop owner who's wall it was on. He retired and the estate agent who moved in painted the whole wall white. What a t**t 

• Like 2

Fogrider must mean this?ews7.jpgNot seen one to be honest...though the varying yellow 'H' and MOD arrows did intrigue me as a kid.

Learnt summat new.

• Like 1

The emergency water tank that I remember best was the one on the Forest. It was where the park and ride is now. When it was removed C1947 it left a muddy pond full of sticklebacks. The two exposed tanks in Slab Square were also removed in the late 40's. The air raid shelter on Peveril St was removed at about the same time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Mundella on Collygate.images-15.jpg

From Fraser Rd actually. I remember we did 'cross-country' with the start/finish just opposite that bloke. Figure of eight round the recs, measured at 1.8 miles, weird what sticks in your mind. For us proper X-country lads, that was just the warm-up though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Skinner & Rook on Arkwright St.63085-1-280-99999-unpad.jpg

My poor old mam used to visit Bothbys quite regularly. When my Vitesse battery used to drain she'd whip it round for a charge-up. Borrowed the neighbours pushchair and wheeled it there and back. Bless 'er.

• Like 1

No Ian, they were a bit sh!t actually. Weight in the boot was beneficial. You could get a kit to alter the reverse-camber but if I couldn't even afford a new battery.... 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TBI said:

No Ian, they were a bit sh!t actually. Weight in the boot was beneficial. You could get a kit to alter the reverse-camber but if I couldn't even afford a new battery.... 

Transverse leaf suspension system - an old and basic design/idea which funnily enough, my Merc. Sprinter van now uses on the front to great effect.

• Like 2