Things Santa Used To Bring

I can remember getting a Barbie. My dad made a wardrobe for her clothes as well, it was brilliant. Think I cut her hair to see if it would grow back, surprisingly it didn’t!

Also can remember a bako (?) set you could build houses with, it had assorted bricks and metal rods you used to build them.

• Like 1

SG, I've still got my Bayko set - it's in the loft, along with my wooden Noah's Ark and animals, and wooden mosaic pieces which you could make patterns with.  There are also 2 little 'pot' dolls - my mum knitted clothes for them in time for Christmas Day, and various soft toys.  I just can't throw them away and occasionally bring them down from the loft so I can look at them again...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I did have one doll plus pram although I was never into dolls but had a teddy (still got it too, looking very worse for wear).  Other than Rupert annuals I don’t remember much about my early presents from Santa but I did have a metal spinning top.  When I was a little older I used to get Bunty and Judy annuals, a Painting-by-Numbers set which could get messy with the oil paints, a little musical jewellery box complete with ballerina and a china ornament of a pretty lady.  The first LP I remember receiving as a Christmas present was ‘My Generation’ by the Who.   I remember more of what my younger brother used to receive ...... train set, Scalextric, Lego.  Suppose money wasn’t quite so tight by the time he came along, but he was always spoilt ;)

• Upvote 1

Most of the Santa stuff was hand-me-downs or home-made things like a large size crocheted teddy bear which I had for many years - long after Santa stopped coming to visit.

Memorable things were a large size Meccano set in a wooden case (pre-war); a toy microscope; a large number of lead soldiers in a fibreboard box so heavy I could hardly lift it; quite a large number of tinplate items - mainly German military things like aircraft, tanks and such (these were from a cousin who was a bigwig in the army and stationed in Germany); Arthur Mee's Children's Encyclopedia (dated 1921(the actual year at the times was 1950)).

Santa didn't visit my house for very long as I was told when I was about 5 or 6 that he didn't exist and I was given a reasoned explanation of why - It was because he would 'burn his arse off' if he came down the chimney - that was what my paternal granny said.

My Nan made me a rag Pinocchio (not sure on spelling) doll which was about 18” long, I loved that. It eventually fell to pieces after being sewn back together so many times. She usually gave us 2/6 for Christmas.

I remember my dad gave me an empty cardboard box and swore blind that it was an Action man deserter kit..I started to get worried when I used to get my school lunch packed up in road maps ! I went to school one day and they moved.unionflag

• Like 1

I had a Bayko set, also over the years many annuals, a post office set, a sweet shop set, a doll that had a new wig and knitted outfit each year. A compendium of games, a bagatelle, 

• Like 1