Coop Christmas milk bottles

I can remember milk bottles with red writing on them, can’t remember what it said though. We were always dragged to the pantomime in the theatre royal I think, my Nan loved them. I used to hate it, found it really embarrassing, glad when I was old enough to say I didn’t want to go.

• Like 1

Hucknall Coop used to print 'Please wash and return empty bottles' or something to that effect in red ink. At Christmas, there was a Santa and/or a Christmas tree print in red/green. These Christmas bottles were used well into the New Year while the print gradually wore off.

1 hour ago, Stavertongirl said:

used to hate it, found it really embarrassing, glad when I was old enough to say I didn’t want to go.

I'm with you there, SG. Always hated pantomime. When I was teaching, usually had to go along with the other staff at Christmas when the pupils went to one. They seemed more interested in visiting the toilets than what was going off on the stage! That's children for you!

• Upvote 1

I can remember seeing Ronnie Hlton (didn’t have a clue who he was - still dont) and Lonnie Donnegan in panto. Presume he was at end of his career, he was buttons and left his wife for Cinderella, or so I was told. Used to hate it when some if the cast would come round audience in the interval. My Nan loved it, shouting out etc, very embarrassing for a teenager:unsure:

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

I think I remember seeing those adverts on milk bottles.   But these days it's more a case of 'does anyone remember milk bottles?'   I haven't bought milk in a bottle for longer than I can remember.

We have our milk delivered and have chosen the option of glass bottles instead of plastic... 

I think it does taste better in glass bottles rather than the plastic cartons. Miss the cream that used to be on the top and the fight to see who got it on their cereal.

Milk in glass bottles will probably have to make a come back. Recycling glass bottles, as dairies used to do, is much better than plastic. My mum used to use the cardboard milk bottle tops to make Pompoms when she was a child!

1 hour ago, Stavertongirl said:

I can remember seeing Ronnie Hlton (didn’t have a clue who he was - still dont) 

Ronnie Hilton SG was very popular in the 50s and a bit of the early 60s,, remember this  '' i saw a mouse,,where ? there on the stair''...........saw him at the Bar in the 'Peach Tree'' about 63,,

edit    Ronnie Hilton,, not the mouse..........lol

20 minutes ago, Stavertongirl said:

I think it does taste better in glass bottles rather than the plastic cartons. 

Not to mention what the synthetic oestrogens in plastics are doing to us!

There is that too. Took me a while to get used to the taste of milk out of plastic cartons when our milkman retired, no one wanted to take over his round. Loved the fresh orange juice he used to deliver in glass bottles as well.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, MargieH said:

We have our milk delivered and have chosen the option of glass bottles instead of plastic... 

You have to look at the whole picture when taking sides on this. Glass bottles have to be transported back to a washing and sterilising facility. Glass weighs considerably more than the polyethylene that the current bottles are made from so much more energy is used in their cleaning and transportation. The HDPE plastic bottles can be recycled into plastic pellets relative cheaply. Environmentalists often live in an ideal world and fail to consider the all variables.

Considering all the liquid containers we use Aluminium is the most eco friendly. Mining Bauxite is a problem but even taking that into consideration it is still better than the alternatives.

Glass is second, it uses less energy to recycle than producing new ones but transportation is it's Achilles heel.

Not all plastics are recyclable at present and it does enormous damage to the environment.

Waxed paper is composted not recycled.

The problem with plastic waste is collecting it and not throwing into the sea like third world countries do.The ultimate use of difficult to recycle plastics can be pallets or fence posts. One obvious thing to do with hard to recycle plastics is to extract the energy by burning it. OK, it emits CO2 but that can be dealt with under controlled conditions.

• Upvote 1

I believe Nottingham City Council incinerates all non recyclable waste at Eastcroft, which eventually heats Victoria Centre. 

By fat the best option in my view.

2 hours ago, FLY2 said:

I believe Nottingham City Council incinerates all non recyclable waste at Eastcroft, which eventually heats Victoria Centre. 

By fat the best option in my view.

Incineration is probably the most efficient and practical way of disposing of unrecyclable waste. There is the still the problem of CO2 emmissions but it will be a long time, if ever, when all energy will be from totally renewable sources.