Hi,  I have just joined the forum. I came across your site when I was looking for information posted by our community policing group's FB page of William Rigley's and Sons building off Hucknall Rd. I posted a link to the forum for anyone else interested  - I hope that is ok?

I joined because I am from the Bestwood area, still live here and my family tree shows most of the family comes from and has stayed in and around the Nottingham area. I am interested in geneology and local history, so I'm looking forward to looking around the pages some more.

Cheerio for now.. Sue 

Welcome Sue, I'm certain you'll find much of interest on here, and there's loads on Bestwood. Happy browsing !

• Upvote 1

Ey up Bestwoodborn..........are you from the Old Estate,,Bestwood Park or Village ? as Fly says lots on here about Bestwood estate,,

Welcome Sue.  Where from in Bestwood?  I was raised round the corner from Benjamin on the old original and genuine Bestwood Est. But my Dad's lot were 4 generations of miners at Bestwood Colliery.

Hope you enjoy the site.  We seem to be having a few 'software' issues at the moment and posting can be a bit erratic, but 'hang in there'  I'm sure it'll all get sorted.

Col 

Ey up Sue welcome, I am another from the real Bestwood Estate, off Leyborne Drive and look forward to you posting on this site, ask what you like about Nottingham some one on here will know the answer.

Hello everyone. Thank you for the warm welcome. I am afraid I am not from the real Bestwood. I am from Bestwood Park. Stathern Walk. My mum and dad were  amongst the first people to move into the area in 1961 and I was born in 1962. I went to Padstow School. I now live near The Duke of St Albans pub.

• 1 month later...

Hi.  I have just joined this website.  re Bestwood Park, I lived briefly at 38 Winterton Rise, Bestwood Park.  Have lived in Jersey, C.I., for many years.  I came across this website by chance as trying to trace Mother's family background (Bulwell, Basford, Nuthall, Selston etc.) Maternal grandmother a Pendleton, before marriage, whose brother, Ernest, was Mayor of Nottingham 1916-1918.  Great Aunt Ethel Pendleton married to George Philpott who had drapers shop G.S. Philpott in Bulwell.  Any advice of where to start ?

Found all and photos the postings sooooo interesting, and such nostalgia.

Patricia

• Upvote 1

Welcome Patricia ....here's something to be going on with .

The obit in 1930 of Alderman John Ernest Pendleton :

46692844602_36bdfce4a8_b.jpg

Below is the 1891 Census showing the parents of John Ernest Pendleton together with all John Ernest's many siblings living at Vernon Road , Basford .

John Ernest Pendleton born c1869 , is elsewhere with wife Elizabeth (nee Watson) on this Census . 

I believe father Elias Pendleton married an Ann Hodges in Basford in 1867.

32870384428_e8e99c8668_b.jpg

On the later 1901 Census , the family are living 207 Cinder Hill , with the addition of two more children , Anne born 1893 and Elsie born 1895 .

Re the Ethel Pendleton you mentioned ( seen above on the 1891 Census born 1891) , she married a George Scott Philpott in 1917 .

Later in 1939 they are living 48 Roland Avenue , Basford  district , in addition to them , there are  2 blanked out names , plus an Edith M Philpott born 1930 whose surname was later  altered to Schulze and altered again to Hamilton. 

• Like 3

Thank you. Wow, this is great info as unable to find anything on Harriet Pendleton, the grandmother I never knew, and she apparently died aged 29.  Mum married Dad, Frederick Hardisty from Long Eaton, and the paralells between him and Frank Pendleton are uncanny In their work and politics.   Did find some details of Ethel, married to George Philpott also Elsie, who married Tom Bradshaw.

Thank you so much.

Patricia

No problem Patricia .

Assume Harriet Pendleton married...... but who to ? 

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Apologies for bumping this thread, but I came across it in connection with my own family history research (PENDLETON/MALLETT/HAMBLETON).

Harriet Pendleton married Charles Robert Pratt in 1904, and had a child Charles William E Pratt in 1905.  Sadly Charles William died on the 20th July 1907, whilst Harriet died on the 29th November 1909.  Both are buried at Northern Cemetery in Bulwell, though curiously, the two of them are buried with Harriet's parents (Elias William and Ann Pendleton), rather than her husband.  This is their side of their grave:

HarriettPratt_s.JPG.410d891c4be05cbf28bac7d622173af9.JPG

My own family line is descended through Harriet's brother Charles Frederick Pendleton, who married Jessie Maria Mallett (who died in 1918, presumably of Spanish Flu).  They lived at 26 Southwark Street, with Charles Frederick listed variously as a hosiery trimmer, hosiery finisher, and latterly as a grocer.  Curiously, Jessie's father Nicholas Mallett had lived at 26 Southwark Street before Charles Frederick and his family moved there. Nicholas then moved to Loscoe Cottages, Arnold Road.  I'd be fascinated to hear if anyone has recollections of the Pendletons living in the area.

Charles Frederick and Jessie produced five children - Jessie Winifred, Dorothy, Kathleen May, Charles Ronald ("Ron"), and Alan Francis.  Charles Ronald Pendleton then married Mary Jane Hambleton, and had two sons - Charles Roger ("Roger" - my Dad), and John Malcolm.  Charles Frederick remarried in 1925 to a lady called Annie Ingall.  Charles Frederick, Jessie and Annie are also all buried at Northern Cemetery.  For anyone researching the Pendleton line, I would strongly recommend a visit there - numerous branches of the Pendleton family are buried there.

Various generations of the Pendletons attended Southwark Junior school (including myself and my sister in the early to mid 1990s), though my uncle (John) was only there for a couple of years, before moving to Henry Whipple school when the family moved to Arnold Road in 1953.  Both John and my Dad (Roger) then went to Padstow Secondary Modern.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 4