• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone phoned from Virgin media about a problem with my modem, I said "my neighbours a VM engineer & I'll get him to look at it when he gets home." (He doesn't work for VM, he's a fork lift truck

What a turn up, I’m going to pay off the tax with the income from this Nigerian Prince who is sending me £2.4m for helping him out, sees you laters losers   

We were shot down in flames by a young Turkish street seller. He guessed we're English launched and into his spiel. I answered in the few words of German I know, he answered without breaking stride in

Yeah we get lots of parcels from Royal Mail. My daughter orders loads, most of which goes back! My initial reaction was that it was genuine and then common sense kicked in

This happened to me a few months ago. I kept getting messages that the parcel was being held up in customs. Which could have been true because I was waiting for a parcel from UK but wasn’t prepared to pay for it . I contacted the shop and they told me to ignore it as they don’t send packs like that ( I sent them a photo). However when it eventually arrived I still had to pay customs duty € 18 . Thanks Brexit. Never again will I order anything from UK

Mrs Col got one of those texts from 'Evri' the other day. Just ignore and delete.

21 hours ago, philmayfield said:

We get parcel deliveries from our postman.

I suppose it's about the difference between a 'parcel', and a 'packet', and the definitions of both.

Historically, the GPO (The Post Office from 1969) dealt with letters, packets and parcels.  The Government deregulated parcels around 1981; that is when a plethora of rival parcel carriers sprung up.  In 1986, the business split into Post Office Counters Ltd, Royal Mail Letters and Royal Mail Parcels (which became Parcelforce around 1990).

In those days, packets were typically 'Jiffy bags' and things like rolls of film sent to developers.  These went through letter sorting offices.

More recently, Royal Mail rebranded 'packets' into 'parcels' for marketing purposes and in a stroke became the UKs biggest carrier of parcels.  Royal Mail handles small/medium parcels and Parcelforce accept the larger items.

Strictly speaking, 'Post Office' refers to the Counters business; the shop front.  They collect over the counter and pass to Royal Mail or Parcelforce but do not deliver.

• Like 1

SCAMMED    this morning.

Recived a text this morning from NHS  as have been to hospital quite a few times, at first it did not register. 

It said that someone who had Covid who I knew had tested Positive , so advised me to take a PR test, went onto the NHS website (which was not the NHS real site) It ask me for details to order the testing kit. I sent details of name / address/ card. It also wanted 99p postage. As I had from the NHS just a few days before (a test kit) I wonded if I could use that one, plus what is the differance between a PR and a self covid test kit,  so  tel NHS help line straight away the man on the other end told me it was a scam, so canceld card straight away. hopefully the scammer's did not get to it before I did, 

Conclusion. 

Had Test sent to me before from NHS never had to pay for P/P 

Being a bit thick did not realise what the covid test was actually called.

The Card I used for my bank only had about £50 in 

So if you get a message like this it is a SCAM. 

Here's another I'm not sure of. I am getting a text to say my Apple pay is now suspended and to follow the link. I haven't. Also a man claiming to be fro Severn Trent wanted to come in for a water sample to test. My missus said she was too busy and he cleared off; ST didnt answer my quiery . BEWARE everyone

Never ever give your card details definitely a scam

• Like 1

This morning it was BT who sent me notice of changes to the terms and conditions and to download the pdf file.

I know I'm a bit dense but somehow this doesn't look like it originated in a BT office:

Acc-ount Up-date <john.sylviap@gmail.com>

8 hours ago, MRS B said:

Never ever give your card details definitely a scam

Yes !! I agree MRS B   but it 's not so easy as you think, I have been to QMC about 4 times in the last fortnight and each time before I attended I have had to take a covid test, and at 5.00 am in the morning not quite awake, but there's no excuse. These scam'mers are very clever. Also that morning I had a missed phone call from QMC but after what had happend i heard the message and thought some things not right, the message said QMC wanted to get in touch with me, but don't phone us back as we are very busy, we will phone you?  Now after the 2 weeks of going to QMC I thought it was funny for them to say (dont call us ect) so I did phone back!!! guess what ? number un-obtainable.

• Like 1

You’re right Mary, not always easy to detect the scam. I watched a news report earlier about supposed charities collecting for Ukraine. When investigated, not registered as charities but based in Nigeria. Not surprising. Just be on the lookout.

Mrs B

Also always worth reporting to the Action Fraud website.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The other day I had a text message saying

”Hi Mum, please save this as my new number”

I’m Mum to two sons ……. One I know had been to Thorpe Park ‘Halloween Fright Night’ or some such event the night before and I thought he’d maybe lost his phone there.  My other son spends most of his time in Africa and does indeed lose his phone regularly, luckily he has insurance cover for that.  So I rang the number to see which kid was messaging me but there was no answer.  Later that day both boys rang to catch up with me from their normal numbers ……. it was a scam.  They contacted our mobile provider to report it in case the scammer racked up hundreds of £s on my bill.  

Not a scam but just a warning to us. We ordered 2 Oyster Cards online for the visit to London in December. We asked for tracking and waited for delivery. We did receive a scam letter but realised it was a scam but a few days later came the real thing.

€29.66 please said the courier. The discussion went on a while and the delivery boy rang the sorting office and said that we shouldn’t be paying anything. She told us to ring next day and in the meantime she would check. I did a research and discovered that anything tracked has to go through customs, so it’s customs duty. Now if we hadn’t asked for tracking it would have come in a plain envelope like English CC arrive to us from U K but these cards came in a brown envelope with a big label with various stickers and hand written numbers.. So much for trying to save on tube, train and bus fares and of course long queues for various sights. So these cards have cost quite a bit and a warning , a repeat warning that I promised myself a while ago, not to buy anything else from UK. Thanks once again Brexit. You’ve really upset a lot of Brits living abroad.

• Like 1

Thankyou Phil we would have done too. But all those who voted remain must still be quite peeved

I voted to remain and regret the consequences of this particular "democratic" decision.

The unfortunate hype and lies generated before the vote will have been believed by some.

Then of course there are those who trousered millions then and since..........

"Oh brave new world that has such people in't."

• 1 month later...

EVRI scam!  Watch out.  It had me fooled as I am expecting an Evri delivery.

Yesterday 04.12.23  text a message popped up. "Hello, wayne attempted to reach you today at 13.35.

from phone number +44 7742 494351

Please visit. evri-track.6819gb.com.  (there was a https.// in front of the evri. and wayne written in lower case).

Almost had me, has I arrived home at 13.55. Opened the link. Mistake! This took me to a poor mock up of the Evri web site.

There was a 16 digit EVRI look alike 16 digit consignment number to track and the option to re schedule the delivery.

This is the scam bit. Fill in your details. Full name. Date of Birth full address etc. ( Full name?, Date of Birth? etc for a re schedule?)

I came out of the message and forwarded it onto report@phishing.gov.uk

I went onto the legit EVRI site bashed in the given scam consignment number which confirmed that it was a fake number. Also checked my door cam for the time stated , no one there at the time stated.

Legit EVRI missed deliveries will leave a WE Missed You card with an 8 digit code to reschedule. I'm usually very alert to scams but on this occasion....Hopefully the scam is in filling out personal details.   It was a good wake up call.

Take Care!