Been getting recorded messages telling me my broadband was going to be cut off in 48 hours as it had been compromised. The message had what sounded like an American accent which was a bit strange so I just ignored them and it wasn’t cut off. Then I got a phone call from an Indian gentlemen who said he was from BT who monitor all broadband lines (?). He sounded like he was in a call centre from the background noise. Told him I wasn’t with BT but he insisted that Bt monitors all broadband for problems (they must be very busy). He said people were using my broadband line and I needed to correct it and he would be able to help me sort it out. Didn’t have much to do so played along a bit. He asked me to put my laptop on and then gave me a code to put in (which I didn’t) and then said can you see all those lines of code, they are people using your broadband, he said there were over 300!  Then he gave me another code to put in which I wrote down so I could repeat it to him and then asked me to click on download. I told him I didn’t know who he was and was not inclined to do that as I didn’t know what I was downloading, after a bit of to and fro he said he would connect me to his supervisor. There was a silence and then the same guy spoke to me again pretending to be the supervisor. I had to stop myself from laughing, but pretended to click on download. He then gave me another code which I pretended to put in again. At this point I decided to end the call, told him to go away and multiply and not to ring my number again. I contacted my broadband provider to tell them about it. I just wonder how many people have fallen for this, the call does sound like it comes from a call centre and he is very persuasive.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someone phoned from Virgin media about a problem with my modem, I said "my neighbours a VM engineer & I'll get him to look at it when he gets home." (He doesn't work for VM, he's a fork lift truck

What a turn up, I’m going to pay off the tax with the income from this Nigerian Prince who is sending me £2.4m for helping him out, sees you laters losers   

We were shot down in flames by a young Turkish street seller. He guessed we're English launched and into his spiel. I answered in the few words of German I know, he answered without breaking stride in

Same scam being perpetrated down under too. A few people have been fleeced of thousands after foolishly giving these a**eholes their banking details and passwords or have inadvertently down loaded spy software or crypto lockers.

We had several in one day but as we let nearly all landline calls go to voice mail no problems. I was passing the phone once when it rang, picked it up and it was one of these calls, a few choice Anglo Saxon phrases seemed to have fixed the issue as none since.

• Upvote 1

This kind of stuff has made the phone almost unusable.  My friends, doctor, and others are in my phone book and  names come up if they call.  Any others don't get answered.  A favorite dirty trick in our area is to use your area code and the first three digits of your number to make you think its a local call. I ignore those too.  it must be profitable or they wouldn't keep doing it.

I'm afraid I got fed up with the woman telling me I was going to have my broadband discontinued so I was a little bit rude. When I said, 'Oh, piss off!' she rang off and hasn't been back. I hope she wasn't too traumatised.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We had a similar thing 2 days ago, Asian-sounding guy saying he was from Microsoft and our service had been compromised. He was VERY persistent and all that same rubbish about codes to check he was genuine etc. I told him it was a well known scam and he could "go away". Put the phone down, it rang again 2 minutes later , same guy, saying we were risking losing everything etc etc, . Rang our broadband provider who assured us it was a scam . I reported it to Microsoft, who haven't acknowledged even though we dialed 1471, giving them the number he was ringing from !  ( a Bradford number !) What a pillock, he told us he was ringing from Microsoft in Reading !.

Take care folks...…..

• Like 1

This sort of thing pi***s me off. I knew it was a scam but if this had been my dad when he was alive, who loved the internet, he would have thought it was genuine and done what this s**t was asking him to do and have lost a lot of money. That is why I posted it so people can be warned about it. People who do this want flogging in public. (sorry if this is not pc but it really pi***s me off.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

If it's a real person making the call - not an automated system - I often play them along and keep them talking for a long time, pretending I don't understand what they're saying or what they want.

It's a good way to keep your mental health sharp; gives you something to think about and concentrate on.

Not sure how this will format but this email was a new one , supposedly from Currys./P.C.WORLD . 

Even if I knew what an Unclaimed Order was ,they only want you to log on to your Paypal account . Just two grammatical errors that I can see .

Hovering over the link , the Paypal hyperlink comes up as "oxygonpakistan.pk" (which I haven't tried !) 

Edit :    the link is still "live" and can't edit it out so don't click on it .

Your order is being processed

Thank you for your order...

Payment status:Unclaimed

The Five Swans
14 St Marys Place

Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7PG

Order Id: 219424325

Order Date: October 28, 2020
Order Time: 16:48

Table Number: 94

Order

• Number: 219424325
  • Ammount: £79.30
  • Auth code: 6NS31080MB2530725
  • Payment REF: Paid by PayPal ''*****@yahoo.com''

Can I cancel an Unclaimed order?

If the order is Unclaimed you can cancel the order before it get confirmed .Please select this button, you will then be asked to confirm your cancellation request by logging to your PayPal account.To continue cancelling your order select

'CANCEL ORDER' button.

Login to your PayPal account to proceed with order cancellation

Please visit our Customer Services pages, or talk to our team on
Monday to Saturday 9am – 6pm, Sunday 10am - 5pm

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

oxygonpakistan.pk .... is a genuine company in Pakistan making and selling household cleaning products, this is how they described themselves:

'Why Mr. Mop?

We are a premier cleaning chemicals manufacturer of complete portfolio of professional cleaning products. Through science and innovation we enable to produce hygienic products.

Oxygon Pakistan has been established as a registered firm (AOP) in Rawalpindi, Pakistan in October, 2016. We are producing the best quality house-hold cleaning products like floor cleaners, glass cleaners, furniture cleaners, washroom & toilet cleaners, hard surface cleaners, soaps, washing powder, dishwashing liquid, liquid hand-wash, bleach, cockroach & mosquito repellents and general purpose cleaning products.'.

However the site carries a warning that it may have been hacked.

"This site may be hacked" message

You'll see the message "This site may be hacked" when we believe a hacker might have changed some of the existing pages on the site or added new spam pages. If you visit the site, you could be redirected to spam or malware.

• Like 1

I knew an old lady who was very good at acting gullible on the phone and often had great fun with the phone pests. After being pestered by a window firm trying to sell her a conservatory she got her own back by asking for exact details. The salesman, thinking he was on to a good thing, gave her the full works but was left speechless when she asked him if it made any difference to the price as she lived on the fifth floor of a block of flats. Total silence until he put the phone down. Well done madam.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Reminds me of a few tricks ive played. Once at a very crowded open market , someone stopped me telling me about some charity or other, i usually let my husband deal with them but hed gone ahead of me and i couldnt get away. Then I started to speak in english thinking " ill get him" but he got me he spoke perfect english. 

It sometimes works as people just say " uh " and move on, but it can backfire and makes you feel a bit of a fool, because you know exactly what theyre saying and you get the urge to answer in Italian.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

With the discussion about Amazon Prime thought I would post this received a few weeks ago .

Not sure what the scam is but the subject line gets off to a bad start !

I've omitted the picture of a courier carrying an Amazon parcel as it contains hyperlinks to a website with domain  t.moviesnowcity

Hej david w**** (1) Importnat Notification.

Amazon has 9 new exclusive deals only for Prime members

Life is going to be anything but normal in the weeks and months to come, and it's all thanks to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus.

To stop receiving these emails please click here
2 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Reminds me of a few tricks ive played. Once at a very crowded open market , someone stopped me telling me about some charity or other, i usually let my husband deal with them but hed gone ahead of me and i couldnt get away. Then I started to speak in english thinking " ill get him" but he got me he spoke perfect english. 

It sometimes works as people just say " uh " and move on, but it can backfire and makes you feel a bit of a fool, because you know exactly what theyre saying and you get the urge to answer in Italian.

We were shot down in flames by a young Turkish street seller. He guessed we're English launched and into his spiel. I answered in the few words of German I know, he answered without breaking stride in excellent German. My better half went to French, same result and he sighed looked at us and in English said" you want to try Swedish, Italian or Russian next"? He was fluent in seven languages, I gave him a fiver and didn't underestimate street sellers again.

• Like 3

I went on a 'sophisticated' holiday to Egypt..with my girlfriend at the time.

Bumped into a ex school friend selling fake jewellery...what's the chances!! :biggrin:

To be fair, bunged him I sly score and he kept stum.. !!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are about a dozen different Royal Mail scams going around at the moment.  I got a text message this afternoon with a link which I clicked on, even though we’re not expecting a parcel.  Up pops a very realistic Royal Mail website requesting £1.99 for re-delivery of a parcel.  Rather than clicking on the link on that I went onto the PC and looked on the REAL Royal Mail website, entered the Tracking No and it wasn’t recognised.  Some people will be taken in by these scammers.  Alarm bells rang in my little brain as we hadn’t had a Royal Mail card in the postbox and how come they’ve got my mobile number?  

Had the same text yesterday, directing me to a secure website (https) to pay £2.99 shipping cost.  Suspected it was a scam as I am not expecting any parcel.  Googled the mobile phone number and sure enough, others had reported as scam.  On the real RM website they have a section on how to identify dodgy emails and texts - there are many examples of what these look like.

They use software that generates thousands of numbers in a few seconds, similarly with e-mail addresses. A response of any description will trigger the scam or confirm the number/address as genuine.

Someone phoned from Virgin media about a problem with my modem, I said "my neighbours a VM engineer & I'll get him to look at it when he gets home." (He doesn't work for VM, he's a fork lift truck repair man) He insisted he would do it remotely via the internet. He was very insistent that he'd sort it, not to involve my neighbour & wanted the modem number & if I didn't comply my internet would be cut off. I then pretended to shout my neighbour round & said "you can talk to Wayne. about it" He then swore at me & called me names & hung up, I felt rather chuffed that I'd annoyed him & didn't fall for his scam....  

• Like 4