The best Nottingham Christmases

I am sure we all have our memories about the best Christmases. I had an idyllic childhood with the best parents who anyone could have wished for. I wish it to be noted that they gave me the happiest Christmases ever as a child, with not a lot of money. Always they provided. 

I still consider Nottingham to be my home town. I was in Nottingham last weekend with my step son who is Russian, and he loved the city, with the German style market and such. I tried to tell him about the many happy times I had spent in the city, but not enough time to tell them all.

I recall very well, my mum taking me to slab square when the tree was up. I didnt understand it at all, but she explained. Every year we went, and I stared in wonderment at it. 

Of course the Co Op! It almost defined Christmas. Santa on the third floor, the big tree in the stair well. It had a certain magic. When, in later years I worked in Parliament St Co Op, and at Christmas, I recall a Notts Forest song being played constantly. Also, when working at Ascot Road, we would do a delivery run on Christmas Eve, and the tips were plentiful from the lovely people of Nottingham. Then it was across to the Wheatsheaf. 

Bobber's Mill Road was quite close. I cannot recall Jill Sparrow at all, but she does remember many of my friends well. At Christmas, we would have the morning to open presents, then off to the Smith family next door, the Machins on the next door, Often to the Carruthers a little further down. Sid was a good mate of mine. Also we would take small presents to the elderly in the Road, A chocolate bar, that sort of stuff, but my mum insisted that I paid for it myself, and wrapped it myself, and gave it myself. I was scared at first, but the old folks really appreciated it.  Most often we would end up at Clarry White's house, not far from the bottom of BMR opposite Jill's house. He was a miner and big friends with my uncle and grandfather. The miners would do Christmas afternoon well, usually meeting in the Clock and having a couple of pints before Christmas dinner. I remember that I was a big fan or Portello when I was a kid. Shippoes mild when I turned 17 though. 

Some Christmases, we would go to my Grandmother's house on Birkin Avenue where the family clan met. I would be offered a bottle of whisky to present to my grandmother, always with the same accented reply "Thankavery mooch"

The first sign of Christmas was The Old G being dressed in Santa outfit. 

Mundella did Christmas well. I recall pride in attending the concert in St Mary's Church in Lace Market area. Wonderful carols from the choir, who could actually sing! 

Very happy times. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2