Last gasp - Players factory demolished

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On my visit to the area this week, I had a wander past the old Player's sites.   Paid a visit to St Peter's church.     I can remember when this was full of higgledy pig

Some things have survived. The Pheasant on Prospect Street!

Should make it law to have this painted on all UK pubs       

The curious mystery about that photo is the young boy being held in place by my dad.   Even after several years of family history digging around, I've no idea who he is.

(and it isn't me ;) .... it's several years before I'd been thought of).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Might have been "Renta Pageboy" ghost or evacuee,Who ever he was he looked well cared for

Rog

Talking of St. Peters, This is me with my late brother on his wedding day, 1959 or 60 I think. He was finally cremated last Monday, after a three month delay.

031.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

The one in the lighter coloured suit? 

Spot on Lizzie ! Did you compere it with my Avatar ? Well done anyway, give that girl a coconut.  :bighug:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The first job I had when I left the Army in 1971 was with the team commissioning the ventilation system at the Horizon factory, it was a long way down from the equipment floor to the packaging floor, those machines were very big.

I was working at Wilson Fords back then and I was subcontracted to Bull Electric Motors to commission the air conditioning electric motors, spent many a happy hour in the top machinery floor working by a torch, hand scraping the bearings of motors.

I recall the factory was designed to produce any of the products of any company Imperial Tobacco owned, as they knew the writing was on the wall over cigarettes. It was almost a self sufficient factory, 6 by 1 Mw generators driven by gas turbines from North Sea natural gas, the only utility was water.

I visited the generator room one day, they were running on one unit at that time, the noise those gas turbines made was horrendous..

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Your last photo CT. Where about would the picture been taken from ? ( both pics really). B.

That would explain why I didn't recognise it CT., I've never heard of bull cl. road. Probably wasn't there when I left Nottm. in mid eighties. I was only aware of Radford blvd.& Triumph road warehouse. Thanks for your answer. B.

12 hours ago, Beekay said:

That would explain why I didn't recognise it CT., I've never heard of bull cl. road. Probably wasn't there when I left Nottm. in mid eighties. I was only aware of Radford blvd.& Triumph road warehouse. Thanks for your answer. B.

It's the Players factory (now ex-factory) near Clifton Bridge, and built in the early 70s. By that time they'd left all connection with Radford a long way behind.

And Truimph Road warehouses have been demolished in the last couple of years.  https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/15308-players-bonded-warehouse-triumph-road/?