Memories of visiting the library

loppylugs  /   Jill      I allso had a miniture dashound she would have a go at anyone,

but I think it should be compulsory for anyone who has a dog, that they should do basic training, the owner and dog. There is nothing worse than taking your dog for a walk, letting it off the lead and no matter how much you call it, it will not come back to you,

I did working dogs trails, and both our tutors had German sherpherds  and they  controled  them, but to do what they did does require lots of training. When you first started training the first thing our tutor would say "It's a wild animal or was so you have to think how they think! and at some point it will die, It's a dog "" The only thing I would never every do is leave any breed of dog along with a baby, 

For any member who reads this if you are getting a dog please take note, their are a lot of good training schools out there, but before you book go along and look at a few/take notes because after I did my first training with MR G and Mr B who were excellent there are also some that are also rubbish.

• Like 1
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a German Shepherd that fouls in our front garden, some days he brings his dog with him.

I was a regular at Basford library, on Vernon Road, in the 1950s. I remember the wooden parquet flooring, and the old men - probably younger than I am now - reading through the national and local pape

The library at Clifton had a children’s section which I often visited in my early years. Even back then it fascinated me because all the shelves were a bit smaller and closer to the ground.  About a y

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2018 at 4:06 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

63338-1-280-99999-unpad.jpg

Interior of Hyson Green library, showing the round, oak desk and adult section. Gollancz shelves on the left. Makes me feel very emotional just looking at it!

Jill, I have very fond memories of Hyson Green Library too.

My dad was an avid reader and visitor to the library. He used to get through four novels a week although I think he used to “scan” through a lot of them.

I started going with him when I was about 10 in the late 50s. At that time we lived in Elstree Drive Beechdale and one evening a week we would walk up to Beechdale library at the top of Beechdale Rd near Western Boulevard. It was a small flat roofed brick building and because of their limited stock dad would order stuff in.

We moved to Russell Rd in 1961 and the walk to Hyson Green Library was shorter and the library was bigger. By now I was getting into stamp collecting, tape recorders and later chemistry. I also used to enjoy looking at Meccano magazine while my dad selected his reading for the week.

On alternate Saturdays when Notts were playing at home we would visit the central library. What a place that was. Based in the old University buildings with its wonderful architecture and fittings. One day I wandered into the reference section. My interest in chemistry was starting to grow and when I got in there I was blown away. So much information, so much knowledge written down in print to educate and inform others.

School never worked for me. To start with it was mixed so the opposite sex was a massive distraction. But the freedom of a well stocked reference library where you could investigate in your own way at your own pace was so so different.

Nottingham Central Library was pivotal in my career development. I'm retired now but enjoyed an excellent career as a research chemist for a few years before moving into management.

So sorry I didn't tell him all this when he was alive but I think he knew what would happen when he took me into Beechdale Library back in 1959. Thanks dad.

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, Mess said:

On alternate Saturdays when Notts were playing at home we would visit the central library. What a place that was. Based in the old University buildings with its wonderful architecture and fittings.

I can remember going in there a few times with my dad. I don't remember any details of the interior - or exactly what we did there - but I was definitely in the place in the first half of the 1960s.

I think the building's still there Cliff isn't it?

Trent Uni. use it now I think. I had a quick look around when my daughter graduated a few years back. It hadn't changed much.

I'm surprised the council haven't knocked it down or turned it into a night club. Perhaps it’s listed.

School didn't work for me either, Mess, but there was no opposite sex to be distracted by!

I'm sure I read somewhere that the building we knew as the old central library was once the teacher training college and that D H Lawrence trained there. Myself and a Manning friend were regulars in there on Saturday mornings. You're absolutely right, Mess, the amount of information on offer was overwhelming for those days. I loved the building and, as I've said previously, I could never take the central library s new home on Angel Row seriously! It lacked the gravitas of its predecessor.

I'd known Hyson Green library virtually since I was born and I walked past it every morning en route to Manning. How I longed to be able to spend the day in the library, as opposed to Manning further along the boulevard. I have no doubt that my education would not have suffered for it.

Going off topic now.

I used Cliff's Streetview link to checkout the University building. It really is magnificent, I hope the students and teaching staff for that matter appreciate what a superb piece of Nottingham's heritage they now occupy.

I can't resist having a good play with Streetview when it's exploring my old haunts in Nottingham. I traced my way up Waverley St to Forest Rd crossings and proceeded down Mount Hooton Rd. I made this journey several times a week when I was on day release at Trent Poly (as it was known then) to and from Russell Rd. This would be 1969-72.

The White House still looks in nice condition. Dr John Foote the leader of a Christian boys youth group I belonged to based at St Paul’s on Radford Rd used to own it. John Foote was the pathologist at Nottingham City Hospital. He was a wonderful man giving so much of his time and support to local lads who belonged to the group called Covenanters aka Covis.

The Forest Recreation ground looks pretty much the same but I think the “cowshed” has gone. I'm sure Jill and other locals remember it. It was a smallish tiled and brick shelter where mainly youngsters would congregate for a chat and smoke (and probably other things after dark). The sides were open so you had to be relatively well behaved during the daytime.

Moving up Russell Rd where I lived 1961-73 brings mixed emotions. Pure nostalgia passing St Simons Hall and the corner shops on the way up to Berridge Rd. but also sadness and annoyance at how the area has declined.

If I won the lottery I'd happily buy the first house I lived in Elstree Drive Beechdale but there's no way I would buy the house on Russell Road.

Sorry to highjack the original topic but a Streetview tour of Forest Fields and Hyson Green is a very pleasant way to spend a half hour or so on a Sunday afternoon.

10 minutes ago, Mess said:

......... a Streetview tour of Forest Fields and Hyson Green is a very pleasant way to spend a half hour or so on a Sunday afternoon.

These days I think the Streetview version is definitely preferable to doing it in real life.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We often used to walk around Russell Road, Austen Avenue and the streets around there in addition to the Forest/Arboretum, during lunchtimes from the fourth year onwards at Manning. I'm not sure I would care to risk it now but, as Mess says, there's always Street view.

• 1 year later...

This was the one I used as a nipper. On Radford blvd., just up from our school.  Nice to see its still in service. When we moved to Bulwell we joined the library on Highbury rd., opposite  360 club ( I think).

https://postimg.cc/34Fj8Hpb

@IAN FINNmy mother always recalled how she watched that library being built when she was a pupil at Guilford Girls' School. When war broke out in 1939, the school timetable was severely disrupted as the school buildings were commandeered for war purposes and lessons, such as they were, were conducted at the library or at a teacher's house on Bar Lane. Pupils who needed the loo were not permitted to use the toilet at the teacher's house and had to walk back to the school premises!

• Like 1

When we lived in Woodthorpe in the ‘50’s I used Arnold library. It was a magnificent Victorian building. Sadly it was demolished to make way for a supermarket and a new library was built at the opposite end of the town. I still have a book on airgun shooting I borrowed from there. The fine will be enormous!

'Northern Branch' in Bulwell was my local library (Highbury Road, opposite 360 Club as Beekay says).  The building is still there - now used by a dance school according to Google Maps.

IIRC, we could borrow up to four books from the children's section (blue cards), rising to six books on attaining the age of 14 (buff cards).  No computers of course - books stamped on issue and all loans arranged in order of 'due date' in those wooden compartmentalized trays.

Gleaned most of my early knowledge of electronics there.